Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Suspension first guys. JMHO !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension first guys. JMHO !!

I have been around the LSx game since 2000 when I purchased my FRC with .2 miles and drove it off the truck myself . I didn't mod for a few years due to having an extended warranty and all. My first mod(s) were the B&B bullets for a few hp and a lot of extra sound. I later added a very smart mod, VaraRam CAI. No tuning needed for either and I was happy for awhile. Rather then go into the extensive list of mods my car went under in 05, 06, 07, 08, and 09 I'll just say this: I think the first mod(s) for a corvette, especially a c5 should be coilover shocks, sways, poly bushings, and a tune. These cars make a good amount of hp straight from the factory, all they need in my opinion is an over the top suspension to make them handle better. My question is, why is everyone (myself included) in such a hurry to add hp vs suspension to get quicker? Seems like suspension and brakes are the last things to be done. Suspension as we all know can make or break you at the track. 9 times out of 10 the guy who wins the 60 foot usually wins the race. Also a lot of guys are auto crossing there c5 corvettes. What better combination then a set of ADJUSTABLE Pfadt coilovers, sways, and poly bushings ? Perfect for the track (road course / quarter mile) and the street. Once you have the suspension dialed in and the car is as fast as it can be, THEN add horsepower, adjust your suspension and watch how much quicker you get as you continue adding hp and adjusting your suspension !!

Pfadt coilovers, sways, and bushings available at Vengeance Racing 678-523-7105 tell Ron that Doug sent ya.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree. My car has Pfadt coilovers and I LOVE them! All I have for power right now is a Corsa catback and Vararam. Coilovers are by far the best mod i've done! The adjustability is amazing to boot!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 10-09-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

...Everyone does power mods cause they don't want to get beat. I agree though, regardless of the choice of suspension, you should without a doubt look into a kit. I agree, after all the extensive mods, coilovers(I run a doug rippie setup) are by far, one of the best mods a Corvette can undergo. Hands down, top 5, maybe top two mods. Really changes the way the car feels, giving you better feedback and body transition. My car has zero body roll. Damn near zero brake dive. Drive a car with coilovers, you'll never want to go back to leaf springs.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 13th vette after owning 9 C5's and 2 C6's. I agree a tune and coilovers should be step one. Dumping the leafs is a great upgrade!
Old 10-10-2009, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

I did the same as Doug, 402 first then suspension. Well, Pfadt is back orders on the coil overs. Once they come in, I can get all the suspension put on.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks guys ! I'm glad you guys can see my logic. I posted this thread on CF and got ripped on. Oh well, opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one.

Hey Superman, let us all know when you start modding and if any adjustments are required to be made to the suspension after increasing power. I'm sure you have her dialed in for the power your car is making already. BTW glad that ticket issue worked out for ya !!!
Old 10-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Teching In

i agree, that is what i did with my mustang before i sold it, bilstein shocks and struts and H&R race springs among other suspension bits...

so if y'all say suspension first on the vette, that's what i will do first, just gotta figure out which coil overs to get
Old 10-14-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

the pfadts i rode on were just exactly what i'd ask for from a suspension. rode like stock, completely flat in the turns.

in the past ive had a few toys.. i STILL do all the go first, the turning and stopping last. BUT, i will say that everytime i am seriously impressed with how much the suspension changed the whole car. in one extreme case, i went from cutting 1.95 60's to 1.65 in the exact same car exact same tires exact same everything except suspension. (BFG DRs were the hot ticket at the time) so anyhow, i see your side and agree or disagree based on the car owners goals.

for me the Z provides more grip than im used to as it is, but not so much in the acceleration department.. so thats where im headed first
Old 10-14-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ Thanks for sharing ^^^
Old 10-15-2009, 02:31 AM
Launching!

my first mods were poly bushings and koni shocks with an aggressive alignment and racing slicks.

dear god !!!!!!!! the thing stuck like a damn formula one car !!!!!!!!!!! i could not hold on to the steering wheel in a high g , high speed turn, on a very fast nascar track! woohoo !!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JudgeGuns
my first mods were poly bushings and koni shocks with an aggressive alignment and racing slicks.

dear god !!!!!!!! the thing stuck like a damn formula one car !!!!!!!!!!! i could not hold on to the steering wheel in a high g , high speed turn, on a very fast nascar track! woohoo !!!!!!!!!!
I am glad you posted up. Now imagine how much easier it is learning to push a car making 300-325 rwhp to the limit VS doing all the HP mods and having to learn how to drive a 500+ rwhp / rwtq motor. Thank god I knew how to drive my car from onset, and also I'm glad I did my mods year by year, it really gave me time to practice and learn. Once I got to the 541 rwhp 505 rwtq level the z51 suspension was not enough. THe Pfadt upgrade is bad ***, I just wish I had done it from day one. Thanks for sharing you experience. Have you modded your car further then suspesion yet ? ^^^^
Old 10-15-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JMHO
Old 10-15-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by regorih383
JMHO
Nice comment.

Considering I did all the HP mods first, I think I would have been happier doing the suspension first. You know what they say about opinions, same as an *******, everyone has one. Thanks so much for posting yours.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Launching!

What is the cost for the upgrades Doug?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

hmm i never thought of it that way...good point allgn C5. I have an 01 Z so for the mods i currently have i think im ok due to having a better suspension out of the box. However there is ALWAYS room for improvment. I may actually look into supension now instead of doing a cam first. Thanks!

Last edited by SStheBest; 10-15-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:22 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pfadt coils & sways were the first changes I made to my F45 Vert. The better control combined with reduced dive & squat actually made the car feel slower.

I've corrected the power part now.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99FRCTorchRed
What is the cost for the upgrades Doug?
Call for a quote, everyone is different. I did look around before I made the purchase and Vengeance had the best pkg price. They also price match.

Originally Posted by SStheBest
hmm i never thought of it that way...good point allgn C5. I have an 01 Z so for the mods i currently have i think im ok due to having a better suspension out of the box. However there is ALWAYS room for improvment. I may actually look into supension now instead of doing a cam first. Thanks!
Thanks for seeing the idea for what it is, vs saying its wrong to do suspension first.

Originally Posted by ctd
Pfadt coils & sways were the first changes I made to my F45 Vert. The better control combined with reduced dive & squat actually made the car feel slower.

I've corrected the power part now.
I know what you mean. When a car is out of control it feels much faster then a car that is in control.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

The weak link in the Corvette Z06 is BRAKES !!!

For track use....road courses, you will need to change:

1. Brake fluid and add stainless steel brake lines

2. Brake pads

3. Rotors

4. Cooling ducks

Next step is a modified "track/street alignment" and corner balancing.

You will need to add a harness bar and five or six point belts.

Also... now cooling will become an issue. A combo heavy duty radiator with oil cooler (Ron Davis) works fine.

Then, after many weekends (maybe a year or so doing "D E Events") at the track you will need new wheels and Dot "R" tires.

That's the "learning curve" for moving up in run groups.

Only then... should you consider major suspension modifications.

Lots of info at both www.corvetteform.com in the Autocross and racing section. Also check out www.sccaforums.com in the T1-T2-T3 section.

Power is not the issue... even with the C5 Z06, driver experience and track set-up provides the best results. These cars hold up well on the track keeping engines "stock". Modifications will reduce the engine's reliability substantially, as the horsepower goes up... reliability goes down.

I've instructed for many years and most of us instructors follow those steps.

Having owned and tracked an 01 and 04 Z06, as well as my current 07 Z06, this has proven to be the "best route".

Last edited by trumperZ06; 10-16-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Doug, you better just stick to drag racing.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Thanks guys ! I'm glad you guys can see my logic. I posted this thread on CF and got ripped on. Oh well, opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one.

Hey Superman, let us all know when you start modding and if any adjustments are required to be made to the suspension after increasing power. I'm sure you have her dialed in for the power your car is making already. BTW glad that ticket issue worked out for ya !!!
I bet if you posted in the auto cross and road racing section they would all agree. A factory z06 is awesome out of the box for R/R. I upgraded to 04 shocks and T1 sways and the difference is amazing. I will do coil overs if I keep the car, and dont upgrade to a c6z

Quick Reply: Suspension first guys. JMHO !!