Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

F-body to C5 Z06 guys need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, no comparison between F-body and Vette. The really sad part is that I sold my FRC to get ready for a 2010 SS and now I'm having second thoughts. Not because the SS isn't a sweet ride, but because Corvettes are SO much sweeter. If I didn't have two little ones, it wouldn't even be a question.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2 things I don't like about the 5th Gen Camaro is the seats aren't that comfortable after a while and the radio cannot be replaced without thousands of $ going into replacing the console.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

i know what you mean when you say you have an emotional attachment to your F-body....i did too. I bought my Z over 2 years ago and STILL have not looked back. The ZO6 just feels better...you are way more in control of the car. The way it handles and just the thought of you knowing you drive a "ZO6" just excites you. Yea tru that some parts for these cars are more expensive but they respond just as well to mods as f-bodys if not better. Youll love it man. Btw i have an 01 ZO6 and have a buddy(who before had the LS1 block cammed w/ full boltons) CETA and it was a drivers race. I, at the time, was stock! The power to weight ratio in these cars is fonominal! DO IT!!!!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bought my ZO6 on 10/10/09 with full exhaust, intake, tune and CCW's. I enjoy driving the car but still miss my T/A. I had so many good times (races and otherwise) in that car that I can't shake the feeling of regret that I have everytime I see an f-body on the street, in a magazine or in the picture gallery of my phone. I know that the Z is a all around better car and even with all the mods my T/A had the Z is still faster, but my T/A had more personality and character. Corvette's are sleek, elegant and more exotic looking whereas T/A's look inimidating, mean, and, especially cammed, like it's there to steal your soul. Given the right amount of mods the Corvette could come close but it would never meet or excede the "badass factor" of the T/A IMHO. I am mixed with emmotions and have not exactly made up my mind weather switching to the Z was the right choice or not for me. The Z is almost to smooth and refined for me, odd as that may sound. All of my favorite cars are from the '60s and '70s and my first car was a '71 Pontiac with a cammed 350 and I find that the F-bodies are more along the lines of the muscle cars from the good 'ol days whereas the Z is more like an exotic ie: Lambo, Ferrari ect. ect. TO ME. I am well aware that the Corvette is the American Sports car but it competes in the same league as the exotics metioned above and is therefore similar in performance and look/feel.

Take it as you will but that's my opinion. I definetly see another F-body in my future
Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so is the regular c5 just as smooth and refined as the z cars?
Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transamsam98
so is the regular c5 just as smooth and refined as the z cars?
The standard C5 is more refined. The z cars by regular vette standards are unrefined. They use the most rigid body (FRC), stiffer suspension (FE4)with no selective ride, reduced sound deadening, thinner glass, more aggressive gearing (MN12 tranny). The Z06 is definitely not a vette for the gold chain crowd and thats why I love it. Now compared to my F-body and past cobras, it's refined!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like the z is the car for me than
Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

all you have to do is drive a regular C5 and then drive a C5Z. The difference is easy to spot right away. Btw take a C5Z for a spin and hold the rpms at 3000 rpms in 2nd gear, then just smash the gas. You will be instantly hooked.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scramblerman
all you have to do is drive a regular C5 and then drive a C5Z. The difference is easy to spot right away. Btw take a C5Z for a spin and hold the rpms at 3000 rpms in 2nd gear, then just smash the gas. You will be instantly hooked.
HAHAHA!!! Yeah... That's what I did all the time... Eased it right up to 2500-3000RPM in 2nd gear and then put the peddle through the firewall! The feeling almost makes you drunk!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went from my 468rwhp WS6 to a bone stock 01 Z06. I would make the switch again any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I did keep most of my stock parts for my WS6 so now I bought a roller and am putting all of the drivetrain in that, putting my WS6 back to stock and selling it, then ill have the best of both worlds.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I drove a c5 z51 a4 with just borla exhaust and loved it... I can only imagine what a c5z would be like!

I will someday own a Corvette! Going to keep my ws6 and hopefully go with a C6 after college here in ~4 years

Make the switch and don't look back
Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nah, fourth gen for the win here I'm afraid. Don't bash me for using "ftw", I never get to use that, and now that its overdone, I'll have my turn. For me, I can't even apply the potential of a Z car unless I go closed course (not going to drive like a meathead on all the back roads to see how well it "twisties" while putting everyones life (and the car) in jeopardy. Anyone ever hit a deer with a vette? No, the fourth gen is all I need and it's drag ready (much nicer for straight line racing-the kind people around here actually do) and all hail the mighty "back seat". My T/A gets more looks than the vettes around here, so many on the road. Of course I live in a retirement community so the vette is the choice for much of the population with adequate cash flow or credit. I'll take what I have any day (which is why I did) without sounding stupid. I mean of course the vette is more of a sports car, but cornering isn't my thing as much as just good ol staight line accel and even though the vette does that too, it's overkill. It's like buying a flat panel tv and then putting it on a huge/deep stand...what's the point if you'll never take advantage of what it has to offer? All be it that of course a flat panel tv has many applications and much more than simply "wall hangibility" to offer, but in reality you paid a premium for a technology you aren't taking advantage of or using to it's potential. My trans am is mean looking and I get a lot of "what is that car"? or "is that brand new"? and the fact there is no newer model to replace it yet makes it all the more unique and rewarding to drive. With a corvette, you're always driving the car that every other car buff with a little money is. I know the corvette wins in nearly every category. Nearly. It's a purpose built car with very little flexibility. The fbody is a purpose built car with a little less "purpose" but a lot more flexibilty.

Don't hear that very much on here now do ya?

Last edited by oddwraith; 01-15-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: speeling
Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tasilver
I have an offer on my TA and found a 02 Z06 with around 50k on it bone stock. So if everything works out I could have the Vette for a few thousand. The only thing bothers me is I will not be able mod the Vette for along time due to a new house and another little one on the way. So have any you with 400+ RWHP F-bodys moved to bone stock C5 Z06 and were you happy with the switch?

I have put alot of time into my TA and with time I would do the same with the Vette (just don't know when I would have the extra cash), I just love the stress release of banging gears in my TA.

I have never driven a Z06 just a regular Vette so if the Z06 pulls hard then I would be happy for while.

Thanks for any input. I don't want to drive somebodys hard as hell then say I don't want it.

We're in the exact same boat, I'm looking at selling my 390whp '00 Z28 & getting a stock C5 Z06

with student loans it wont be modded for quite awhile, but ill be ok. Ive driven a few Z06's & if its something you really want youll love it & wont regret it a bit.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scramblerman
Now try that with a little juice on it! We're talking tire smoking burnouts at 60MPH LOL!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you could be like me and keep the Fbody and get a C5 Z06. It's the best of both worlds. =)
Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Z06 ftw
Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Lucky for me after my trans am had a intake backfire i found a c5 FRC vette for sale for cheap and was really taken care of, so i jumped on it. i had the car for 3 months and just loved the way it handled and the weight difference so i couldnt wait to see what i could get out of it so i did kooks LT's, H/C/I, ud pully, electric water pump, GMS exhaust, and a tune all with in a 2 month period and its a beast now. i still have the TA but its a project car now so i have best of both worlds, even though the TA was faster i would still prefer the vette. Just prepare to spend more money on parts!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Teching In

get the vette
Old 02-16-2010, 10:27 AM
master of the "jack"stand

I have both...the vette is much more of a car but I still like driving my f-body also. The roads here in Chicago suck and it is nice not to have everything in the car rattling. My 125k mile FRC is 1000x more solid than my 20k mile f-body.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

I got to drive my buddy's dad's '03 Z06 with just a Corsa exhaust (which sounds amazing), and I would say it was comparable to or slightly quicker than my cammed z28. BUT, everything about it was wayyyyy smoother and enjoyable, and I just felt like a total badass (not that I don't in my z, but it was just...different.)

Buy the Corvette.

Quick Reply: F-body to C5 Z06 guys need some input.