Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Picked up a mint '03 red/tan/tan/6spd 2003 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a mint '03 red/tan/tan/6spd 2003 convertible

Well after 7 years of driving a very modded Z06 I went and purchased a convertible. The targa Z06 is for sale if anyone is interested. Absolutely nothing wrong with the car, just a bit hardcore for a daily driver and now that I have the Panoz race car I don't need a trackable Corvette.

My old '97 mustang cobra was a red/tan/tan vert and I really loved the color combo. Searched for awhile and found lots of red/black/black and lots of autos. Finally found a red/tan/tan 6-speed vert and went to get it this weekend.... picked it up in Youngwood, PA on Saturday AM.

The car is a 2003 with 43,xxx miles. The car has all options other than having the base suspension. The car is mint... and I'm OCD **** about my cars. I used to be an insurance adjuster and have been around body shops for a long time... I'm familiar with paint and body work and have a picky eye. I was able to tell the rear bumper had been replaced and painted due to the fact that when you pop the trunk you can see the paint peeling around the 5 screws that run along the top of the facia. Whoever painted it failed to prep that area properly... other than that the car is amazing, undercarriage is spotless and the top/interior looks new.

The car will get basic intake/exhaust and some minor cosmetic stuff. The cheesey stickers were the first thing to go.

Eventually when a buddy wants to part with his Fikse FM5s in Z06 sizes I plan on snagging those.... other than that I'm keeping this one on the mild side.

A few pics from the for sale ad -

Going to get it etc -

7am in West Virginia

My charriot aka "thunder thighs" (Truck is a Thunder Road edition)

Windmills.... they look huge in person, never seen one before.

Car checked out... loaded it up...

Some impressions driving it around for a few days...

1. I love the sport seats... way better than the Z06 seats.

2. Being 6'4" the telescoping steering wheel is the best thing ever... I can finally sit all the way back and still have the wheel close enough for performance driving.

3. I thought I'd want to put a Z06 spec suspension, but the base stuff soaks up the roads around here wonderfully. Compared to my Z06 w/ poly bushings it's like riding on air.

4. I acutally like the twilight centinal feature. This is the first time I've had a C5 with it. My '98 didn't have it and my '01 Z doesn't have it. My father used to have a 2004 Z16 and my mother had a '99 mag red/tan vert and neither of those had it. I'm so used to auto-lights on my Canyon that it's nice to have on the vette. Only downside is they will over-use the headlight motors as they want to pop up in the AM when I start the car in the garage. I need to get in the habit of putting the parking brake on one click before I start the car... then undo it when outside in the light.

5. Stock exhaust still sucks... as always. Good thing I have some Corsa Extremes laying in the garage.

6. Nice to have fuel economy back. The cam'd LS6 got 15 in town but still got 26-27 highway. The vert gets 18 in town thus far and DIC shows 29-31 highway.

Brian
Old 01-20-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

Congrats! I just bought my first vette this weekend. The only thing that sucks is that the drive back to SD is the only driving it will see until spring.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Pretty car! Congrats!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice looking Vert. If you have concerns about gas mileage you should do the MPG mod, Ewp, UD pully and a tune. My old h/c full bolt on 346 got 34.x mpg on the eway and my 402 gets 27 mpg. Sorry to say these mods won't help city mpg. Those are actual numbers based on a full tank and refill then doing the math, NOT the display which are off (high) by about 9-11% (Based on my numerous fuel economy logs) Gotta get headers bro, you said it yourself you hate the stock exhaust.

Glad to see someone post pictures showing that a tall person can fit in these things comfortably. I too am 6'4" and go 250+ (depends on what time of the year LOL) and have never driven a more comfortable car. I've made 2400 mile round trips to Texas and back, also 1500 mile round trips to Georgia (VENGEANCE RACING !!!) and back to Metro Detroit. I wouldn't want to ride in any other car. Looking forward to my possible drive to Miami to visit a tech friend and do the Standing Mile !!! I post these comments because so many people just don't believe that tall people over 6 feet and over 200 lbs actually fit comfortably in a Corvette. A lot of my friends always ask how can you stand being cramped in that car for 11-17 hrs one way? I say easy, the car fits me like a glove.

*Too bad the c5's didn't come with the seat option that the 96 Gran Sport I drove did. It had these adjustable wings that hugged you and kept you centered in your seat. I delivered it for a friend of a friend that paid me to drive it to Kentucky for a few bucks and air fare home. What a ride.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

I too am 6'5" 270lbs and it's way more comfortable that alot of cars I've ridden in.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97camarozguy
I too am 6'5" 270lbs and it's way more comfortable that alot of cars I've ridden in.
Don't you just love the looks on peoples faces when you get out of these things (being 6'5" 270) I get the how did he fit in there look.

Sorry to the OP for the Hijack, totally putting the spot light on big guys fitting in these cars vs your great find !!!! My apology.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

Congrats on the purchase!
Old 01-21-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Gotta get headers bro, you said it yourself you hate the stock exhaust.
Nah... have a set of Corsa Extremes laying in the garage for it... that's all it's getting.

Glad to see someone post pictures showing that a tall person can fit in these things comfortably. I too am 6'4" and go 250+ (depends on what time of the year LOL) and have never driven a more comfortable car.
I agree... it's one of the main reasons I stayed with the C5. I haven't found a sports car that I fit in as well. I considered Vipers and Porsche Boxsters (2005+ ones are bigger), but at the end of the day they're more expensive (to own, mod, and service and insure) and I just don't fit as well. Plus I know C5s through and through and have plenty of parts and tools for them.

Corsas go on this weekend... gotta stop wheel shopping No wheels until the Z06 goes.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One of my Fav color combo's.

Vert's are so enjoyable...Sport seats... you nailed it.

Although I appreciate the Z06...I'm a Vert dude......our climate favor's.

Looks like you have the proper tow rig, Stock?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ctd
One of my Fav color combo's.

Vert's are so enjoyable...Sport seats... you nailed it.

Although I appreciate the Z06...I'm a Vert dude......our climate favor's.

Looks like you have the proper tow rig, Stock?

I bought my Z06 back in '03 when I was bitten by the HPDE bug... now my father and I have a Panoz race car. I don't need a trackable Corvette anymore and after spending lots of time/energy/money making my Z06 a targa I realized I wanted things like sport seats and a softer suspension etc. etc. etc. I came to the conclusion that it'd make more sense to buy a cherry vert vs. de-mod and re-mod the Z into a cruiser.

Tow rig is a buddy's... my DD is a GMC Canyon. I tow to the track w/ it all the time, but for towing up to PA through the mountains I wanted extra firepower just in case the weather got bad.

If you mean the car... yeah it's bone stock other than a windshield banner and dash plate that have both been removed. It also had the rubbery chrome letter inserts that I took out and an exhaust plate that I took off.

My painted front plate surround came in today... ordered from Mid America, but it's from Kewl Auto as suspected.

Also installed the hood seal that came with the Halltech Venom I bought awhile back.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice pick up Brian, can't wait to see it in person!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man... I plan on hitting up the car shows with you this year.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell yea, we can finally use my Portal Cable and Zaino! LOL!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

Default Congrats

Time to update your sig!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Banned Village Idiot LS1BLKSS

very nice looking car!!! im sure you are going to miss the yellow one tho!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Brian,

Nice looking ride. Now you'll just have to wait a few months to take the top down.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice looking ride and color combo, enjoy!

btw nice truck too, looks just like mine.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Very cool!! I don't live too far from Youngwood, PA!

I'll be driving home my first vette from North Carolina tomorrow... oh boy, i'm pumped!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001
Hey Brian,

Nice looking ride. Now you'll just have to wait a few months to take the top down.
It was randomly 65 degrees one day last week so I had the top down for a cruise at lunch... it was great. That's the thing about VA weather... if you don't like it wait 20 minutes because it'll probably change. This weekend it's supposed to be 32-35 w/ wintry mix Sat/Sun. But every now and then you'll get some nice days thrown in

Last edited by Cobra4B; 01-30-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
It was randomly 65 degrees one day last week so I had the top down for a cruise at lunch... it was great. That's the thing about VA weather... if you don't like it wait 20 minutes because it'll probably change. This weekend it's supposed to be 32-35 w/ wintry mix Sat/Sun. But every now and then you'll get some nice days thrown in
UPDATE: Eh... scratch wintry/mix and replace with 7-9" of snow! Took these pics 3 hours ago... 5" at that time.

Quick Reply: Picked up a mint '03 red/tan/tan/6spd 2003 convertible