C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Helping a buddy..TC suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:40 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Helping a buddy..TC suggestions please

My friend has a 1998 C5 vert that is bone stock except for a P1SC procharger, and I mean bone stock, as in exhaust, heads, cam, etc. His tranny finally went out and he had it rebuilt at the local AAMCO (mistake #1) and of course it lasted about a week. They sold him some convertor, never heard of it before, and it is being blamed for trashing the tranny. So they rebuild it again, and get a new TC from the same outfit, and the car shakes so bad its terrible. They think the new TC is bad too. Convertors are definitely one area where you don't cheap out, so he is finally listening to me and wants to get a good part. This is basically his DD so no 4400 stalls here, but I would say something around 2800-3000 stall should wake it up and maybe be beneficial for a few future mods he may do (exhaust, sticky tires, that kind of thing).

What would you suggest? He spent $500-$600 on this junk unit, so if it could be around $700 or thereabouts it would be good. He isn't made of money, lol.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
My friend has a 1998 C5 vert that is bone stock except for a P1SC procharger, and I mean bone stock, as in exhaust, heads, cam, etc. His tranny finally went out and he had it rebuilt at the local AAMCO (mistake #1) and of course it lasted about a week. They sold him some convertor, never heard of it before, and it is being blamed for trashing the tranny. So they rebuild it again, and get a new TC from the same outfit, and the car shakes so bad its terrible. They think the new TC is bad too. Convertors are definitely one area where you don't cheap out, so he is finally listening to me and wants to get a good part. This is basically his DD so no 4400 stalls here, but I would say something around 2800-3000 stall should wake it up and maybe be beneficial for a few future mods he may do (exhaust, sticky tires, that kind of thing).

What would you suggest? He spent $500-$600 on this junk unit, so if it could be around $700 or thereabouts it would be good. He isn't made of money, lol.

Thanks
you should be able to get a good used verter over at c/f. i picked up a refurbished an restalled to 3600 vigilante for $500. too bad i sold my 3200 stalled vig. still have the stock converter though. if interested pm me 6k miles
Old 02-05-2010, 04:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's a street driver look for a 2600 -2800 stall single disc set-up. Might even be able to find a used stock converter and have them split it open and re-adjust stall.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

sorry about the waste of money with aamco. if you look up aamco and rip off, you will find a lot of horror stories about people getting ripped off. Good luck with the build