C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Detailed Zip Tie Free Ram Air Mod Inside >>>>

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Detailed Zip Tie Free Ram Air Mod Inside >>>>

**Updated to Mc Rat style**

Hey Guys, got around to doing the ziptie mod this morning on my car. Snapped some pics and put together a tutorial.

Just came across this thread that McRat posted. I like the way he used the stock plastic tray to secure the filter a little better than the way I did it.

Check it out here:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...threadid=29243

Step1: Begin by removing the air filter

Step 2: Now remove the air filter lid by pulling the lid in the direction of the engine to release the rubber bushings holding the lid into place. Remove the lid & the lid straps. (Above)

Step 3: Now place the filter into the filter tray and re-install the filter. Be sure that the filter makes a good seal with the lower airbox assy.

Step 4: Put two zip ties together to make 1 LONG ziptie. Be sure to only slide the male end of the ziptie into the female end 3-4 clicks & trim the excess off of the male end of the tie.

Step 5: Wrap the long ziptie around the back of the lower air box assy and over the top of the lid tray and lid. Guide the ziptie to come out inside of the groove cut into the air filter tray. Repeat for the other side.

Step 6: Pull the ziptie tight and make sure that the filter is held securely in place.

You are done!

DISCLAIMER: The author of this tutorial does not in any way take responsibility for damages that could be caused during or after this modification. This setup is not recommended for cars that are driven in heavy rain.

**This document was written while performing the ziptie modification on a 2003 corvette Z06, there may be differences between models and model years of the C5.

ENJOY THE NEW AIR & 5-15 more RWHP!

Last edited by niphilli; 01-07-2004 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any SOTP difference?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by travg
Any SOTP difference?
I cant really tell. The day I did this it was 17 deg outside & the car runs like a raped ape in the cold. It does seem to have better throttle response & feels a good deal stronger in the midrange. The stock tunnel bridge gives up around 6000 RPM anyway you look at it though.

I was sold on the Halltech TRAP until I read an article by McRat showing his dyno results between the TRAP and the ziptie mod. Without tuning there was no difference, only with tuning did he pick up a peak of 5HP. In fairness the Halltech did breathe MUCH better above 6000 RPM (about 10-12 RWHP gains). I will probably go the Halltech route in the spring when I have the time and money to get it tuned .
Old 01-09-2004, 08:48 AM
7 Second Club

J-ROD posted up that the zip-tie mod is worth a dyno proven 12-15 rwhp.It was the first mod I did to my Z and you can't beat the price.Who needs a Vararam or Blackwing.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:50 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually you might want to look at this. I think it is a bit better way to do it...

I used the factory clamps. I simply removed the factory metal straps and replaced them with shorter one made from wire ties. This allows for consistent pressure to the filter frame.

Here Mc Rat's car. They just wrapped the ties around the box. I re-used the factory hardware to allow you to change the filter.

Hope this helps...

Old 01-09-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

On a Z-06 didnt they pick up 16RWHP with this mod?

Supposed to work great
Old 02-03-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why would anybody buy a $300 intake when this can be done???????
Old 02-04-2004, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Magred2001vette

I don't know...

And yes, on my car it picked up 15RWHP and 11 lb/ft of Tq
Old 07-30-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Magred2001vette
a $300 intake does not look ghetto and cheap...
Old 07-30-2005, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Plus isnt the VARARAM designed by an areospace engineer???

But does seem like a really good free mod
Old 08-01-2005, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by PhatT/A
a $300 intake does not look ghetto and cheap...
Yeah, it does actually...
Old 08-01-2005, 10:19 AM
AOC
TECH Regular

I actually took VaraRam off from my car because I was having lot of issues with it like SES codes 0711 & 0174 and lean conditions, which was corrected with HP tuner. However, I did not see any gains on the track, if anything else, it was running bit slower than stock track time.

This is what I posted on corvetteforums...
Originally Posted by AOC
Well, ever since VaraRam CAI install, I've had some issues like SES codes and lean condition, which was corrected with HP Tuner. However I didn't see any gains on the track (if anything i think it was hurting the performance). With bone stock, I ran 12.35@115.3, with VaraRam, I was running 12.45 - 12.55, so I decided to remove it and go with Zip Tie mod until return to the track to see if my suspicion was correct. I will do another tune and possibly another dyno before going back to the track to see if there are any changes.

Before with VaraRam CAI

After, Zip Tie mod

Yeah, VaraRam looks better but I just wasn't comfortable with it and Zip Tie mod is just a holdover until after the track runs and figure out what CAI I want to go with.

I've seen some posters stating that they gain something like 3 tenths and 2 to 3 mph, so I would have been happy with one tenth and 1 mph gains but I was going backwards. Now, I'm not saying VaraRam is POS, it just didn't work for me and I just wasn't happy with it's results or lack thereof so I am going back to the drawing board.

Here are couple disturbing pics of what was being accumlated in the radiator. I brushed and tapped the first of two radiators and all this junk fell out of it. :ack:

Old 08-01-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Yeah, it does actually...
the blackwing on my brother's C5 looks great...sorry, that "zip-tie" mod looks cheap IMO and does not belong on a Corvette...
Old 08-01-2005, 03:06 PM

I have nothing against Blackwing filters from a construction standpoint Donaldson builds nice filters. My only issue with them is they are reported to cause issues on Z06's or any other car running an unscreened MAF, and the only way to solve that issue is to re-tune the car in addition to the filter.

I've looked at several of the "higher priced" intakes out there. In fact there is one on the H/C car that I drive. It materials and construction don't justify its cost IMHO. Plus, I have yet to see any real empirical evidence of any performance delta in an aftermarket air intake.

The new Callaway intake looks interesting however.

I have my car zip tied, and I don't consider it cheap looking, but, to each his own I guess....
Old 08-01-2005, 03:17 PM
AOC
TECH Regular

I could only speak of vararam since that is what I had on my car. The cost to manufacture a vararam can't be no more than $50. There isn't much to it and cheap plastic material and filter doesn't justify 350+ dollars. Yeah, I know about cost of R&D since I work in R&D department but still, the entire parts which makes up vararam is cheaply constructed.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Looks like a good cheap way to get a better flow of air. I took my lid & cut away the bevels that were inside it to try and make more area for air flow. And put on a K&N stock replacement filter. I had thought of removing the whole lid & doing something like the zip tie mod before I had ever seen this posted here. But I was worried about water coming off the hood when it rained or washing the car getting the filter wet. But if other people have had no problems with doing this than I might go ahead & try it. It should work really well with the K&N that I have for the stock box. Wheres a good place to order a front hood seal? Just so I have some extra protection from water. My car is a daily driver for now.

Also I have thought since I have looked at this here about flipping the filter over and making an opening in the air shroud that goes to the radiator & letting it grab cool air from underneath. Or maybe even making a whole new shroud out of aluminum & incorporating a smaller scoop that directs some of the air from underneath directly into the filter. Sort of a ram-air from under the car maybe. That would be a little project.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:32 AM

Also I have thought since I have looked at this here about flipping the filter over and making an opening in the air shroud that goes to the radiator & letting it grab cool air from underneath. Or maybe even making a whole new shroud out of aluminum & incorporating a smaller scoop that directs some of the air from underneath directly into the filter. Sort of a ram-air from under the car maybe. That would be a little project.
The MTI air intake is set up ths way. It sucks air from the radiator plenum. They also supply the shroud so you don't have to cut your stock one.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Whats a good thing to use for the hood seal? Is it better to order one or just use some 3m self adhesive auto weather stripping? I seen some one ebay but it was just self adhesive weather stripping for like 12 dollars + 5 dollars shipping.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:51 AM

You can go to Lowes and buy door insulation, or window insulation. Either the foam, or the rubber. Or, buy a roll of generic weahter strip from the auto supply. All you are doing is keeping water from running right into the filter from the hood gap up front. You can do it for a couple of cents.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

I decided to do the initial mod today. I decided to make mine with stainless steel welding rod bent to shape & I can still use my release clips to open & close it to clean the filter etc. I am about to go back out now & remove the air pump hose & plug the box where that hole is. I am going to use a breather filter on the air pump so it won’t be drawing air out of the intake box. I’m not sure if it really matters but I figured why not if I have the stuff handy. I got my hood seal & am going to put that on now also. Here are some pics I shot after I bent up the straps & put them on.

Quick Reply: Detailed Zip Tie Free Ram Air Mod Inside >>>>