Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

I need z06 head and cam help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if im wrong but i think the new TFS heads recommend switching to Roller Tip Rockers as well.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

In my research I have noticed trick flow want different rockers. I believe if I go the aftermarket I will choose tfs over afr because they have been putting out better numbers it seems. I have heard there is a porter worrking on doing some welding before there port work to help the 243's regain there velocity. They are suppose to be testing in next couple weeks. Budget and same performance as aftermarket will be great. What do you guys think of the came selection I put up?
Old 09-01-2010, 03:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard good things about the G5X cams. But I have no personal experience with it, so I couldn't tell ya.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup TFS heads do require roller rockers. However the revised valve angle reduces the need to flycut drastically. So it reduces one issue and introduces an extra expense. I had rollers on my previous heads so it wasn't a deal breaker. They usually quiet down the valvetrain too. I milled to 61cc because it was the most I could go and still maintain stock piston to valve clearances. Just in case I decide to swap the cam a 3rd time. Makes it easier to determine what will fit and what won't. Though if in doubt clay it.

Last edited by 99C5JA; 09-01-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I DO see what you're saying. It's not different from what I'm saying. I said that the AFR heads are better, but not worth the money for the HP gains over all. I still maintain that.

$2100 - $750 = $1350 to make more power. If money wasn't an issue, I'd definitely buy AFR heads. But if I wanted to maintain a realistic budget, I can make LOTS more power than what I'd make using AFR heads by saving $1350... Like cam, springs, push rods, flywheel, clutch, etc.

That was pretty much my point. The AFR heads aren't going to make up for the HP gains of a cam. That's unarguable.
No, the aftermarket heads won't make the difference a cam will. But they're generally good for 20-30rwhp over the factory ported castings. People pay $1000 for a FAST and TB that usually make less than power gain than that. So it comes down to how much getting that last bit power out of it is worth to you. And your budget is certainly a factor (a BIG one).

The original poster stated he didn't have a budget. So money isn't the issue. He wants to gain power and maintain driveability. The aftermarket castings will excel there.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with that.

I saw the "no budget" mention too, but I figured he just didn't have one put together yet. Not that money wasn't an issue...

It doesn't occur to me sometimes that people out there actually have money in this fucked up economy. LOL I look at it from a budget penny-wise scenario.

If he truly has the money to go ***** out, I'd definitely get AFRs and a nice cam to match. I'd also get a FAST 92/92 or FAST 102/102 setup as well. If money's no issue, I'm not sure why I wouldn't just get an LS7 block and start from there.

But if money IS an issue, the setup I posted would be pretty good.

The very last mod I'd do is the FAST intake. I've read LOTS of comparisons of the FAST intake over the ported LS6 intake and it's not really enough for me to spend. But then again, I'm not trying to squeeze every ounce of juice out of my DD.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

FAST Swaps are about $100 per RWHP gain over a ported LS6. Gears, Nitrous, or Blower is a better $$ vs RWHP/ET gain.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Teching In

I installed a G5X3 cam at 22k miles. At 44k miles a lifter roller broke.

When I tore it down the G5X3 cam was heavily worn, groves in several of the lobes, not really what I expected to see after 20k miles.

If you are doing any head work, save yourself some trouble down the road and throw out those f'n plastic lifter trays and get a good set of link-bar lifters. An upgraded oil pump would be a good idea as well.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Money is no object but I have wasted plenty before on my old car so this time I am trying to get a proven package that suits my needs with out the waste. I want to run low low 11's high 10's on occasions with the stock short block. Im sure in a couble years Ill be hunting a c6z or zr1 and then Ill play with the big cubes in my c5z. The idea of running 243 heads peak my interest do to someone looking under the hood and then **** them off when I pass. If i go aftermarket i will go with the tfs heads. I am trying to find the best porter in the country and then find the cams that work best with the heads I choose 243 or the tfs. Then Ill compare the two and figure which is the best. I know in this game you always give to get so I just need to fiqure out which will work for me. I see alot of good numbers out there but there curves suck. Power does me no good if the guy next to me is long gone before mine comes to life. I want high hp/tq that comes early and keeps it to a respectable shift point to maintain my dependability. Most the cams I find that do this lacks the sound. I love the ms4 sound but looks real sluggish on bottom but I could be wrong. I am having problems finding dynos and times on the z's with setups I like. Most of them are on camaros which is a totally different weight and set up car.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by theevette
Money is no object but I have wasted plenty before on my old car so this time I am trying to get a proven package that suits my needs with out the waste. I want to run low low 11's high 10's on occasions with the stock short block. Im sure in a couble years Ill be hunting a c6z or zr1 and then Ill play with the big cubes in my c5z. The idea of running 243 heads peak my interest do to someone looking under the hood and then **** them off when I pass. If i go aftermarket i will go with the tfs heads. I am trying to find the best porter in the country and then find the cams that work best with the heads I choose 243 or the tfs. Then Ill compare the two and figure which is the best. I know in this game you always give to get so I just need to fiqure out which will work for me. I see alot of good numbers out there but there curves suck. Power does me no good if the guy next to me is long gone before mine comes to life. I want high hp/tq that comes early and keeps it to a respectable shift point to maintain my dependability. Most the cams I find that do this lacks the sound. I love the ms4 sound but looks real sluggish on bottom but I could be wrong. I am having problems finding dynos and times on the z's with setups I like. Most of them are on camaros which is a totally different weight and set up car.
Based on your goals, ported factory castings really shouldn't be in the running. The 346ci motors getting into the 480-500rwhp range are all running the top aftermarket castings (with the supporting mods). The cam is going to be more tricky. There are several good vendors out there. I don't have any personal experience with them, but Vengeance Racing seems to consistently make great numbers with their packages.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I'm inclined to agree in this case. Get some good aftermarket heads like AFR or TFS.

Honestly, if I had the choice and money wasn't an object, I'd just take my car to Nelson Racing Engines and get it done the right way from the start. I can't think of anyone that builds a better daily drivable 1000+ HP motor.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:46 AM
10 Second Club

If your looking to get the stock 243s ported id go with Jeremy Formato from faster Proms or pm me and i can give the the number to the guys who did mine. I have an old dyno graph i can send ya if youd like to see Ported LS6, Cam, LT's, and UD pulley. Car made 446 RWHP 406 RWTQ. Remember your in a pretty light car so a TON of torque down low isnt needed as much to get the car going.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06X6spdGTO
If your looking to get the stock 243s ported id go with Jeremy Formato from faster Proms or pm me and i can give the the number to the guys who did mine. I have an old dyno graph i can send ya if youd like to see Ported LS6, Cam, LT's, and UD pulley. Car made 446 RWHP 406 RWTQ. Remember your in a pretty light car so a TON of torque down low isnt needed as much to get the car going.

I am very interested in seeing that dyno. Have you had it down the track?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

yeah. with a 2.20 60ft with the track temps at 120+ in July. I ran a 12.01 @ 119mph

Quick Reply: I need z06 head and cam help.