Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Weight Mods...What You Think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Weight Mods...What You Think?

I had some ideas to remove some weight from the car and gain some hp up top. since my car has become less of a dd I was think of dropping some weight from it to see if I would get any real gains from it. First I was thinking of going with 23.5in long 3" dynomax bullet mufflers straight from the header collector with turndowns. This would mean zero backpressure from the exhaust and some free ponies up top in the power band but it would also mean a delete of the big 3" xpipe, the over axle muffler pipping and mufflers. The Hooker mufflers I have are at least 30-40lbs each. The mufflers plus all the pipping I figure should mean 80-100lbs. Also my ac comp went out a while ago, I have to remove it any way to reapir or replace it so why not just keep it off for now? Its been really cold and I went without it this past summer anyway plus its what, 30-40lbs? Im also looking at some Sparco and Hunsaker racing seats that should be lighter than the stockers. So, what do you guys think? I drag race and track the car but Ive been setting it more for HPDE and autocrossing. Also lets jsut say that loudness and no ac are not an issue for me already. That car is high compression with a big cam so Im use to noise. So would I be able to notice 150-200lbs off the car and the more free flowing exhaust? Btw, I shouldnt see any real "torque loss" down low with the new exhaust. The length of the headers (32in primary) should provide the necessary exhaust scavenging effect and no back pressure is always good. Also I weighed the car in at 3220lbs as is.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 99 FRC Corvette and it weighs #2780. You can feel the difference in every aspect. Acceleration, braking and cornering. I only drive this car to the track for autocross. You wouldn't want to do everything I did. Your A/C compressor only weighs around #20. The condenser about #5. You can get a Braille battery. I had a 21lb. one, but I sold it for a 15lb. one. I think for your needs a 17lb. would be great. You would need to run a battery charger on it when not in use. 2pc. rotors on all 4 corners will save you 12lbs. Kind of expensive though. Get rid of all the carpet and you will save about #40. The road noise going down the freeway will be very loud. On the other hand the motor sounds great. Radio and speakers are worth #12. Lighter wheels would be good too. I already had those. Your race seat will only save you a few pounds. Ditch the passenger seat for a weight savings of #30 plus the passenger. Door panels are #6 each. Looks real ugly when you take those off. I pull the side windows out when I get to the track. Worth #9 each. I think you get the idea. If you have any question let me know. My entire interior is gone. Here is a picture of my project. I have the dash back on, but nothing behind it like you see.

Steve A.

Last edited by mountainbiker2; 01-05-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"hardcore"

lol, i dig it.

that's a very light car,...i think I'm 3128 with 25lbs fire bottle, and unlightned...various crap in car,.. pretty wild your cars THAT much lighter. ...by removing above mentioned.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

moutainbiker2, thats pretty cool but way too hardcore for me. Lol. This is still gonna be a street car that I will drive to other places in other than the track. I dont think the wife would still get in it if it looked like that. If it was track only then yeah I would go that far. Thanks though and there are still some things you mentioned that I can look into. Maybe when I get a new dd to replace my truck I'll get a little crazier with the weight mods. Smaller battery is a thought and I already have some alumnum wheels that are pretty light. Little by little Im just gonna take stuff out the car that I really dont use. Been looking at PFC's two piece rotors but they are a pretty penny.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Launching!

I'll keep my Near full interior lol

But everyone likes to personalize their own car

I did the 20.7lb battery and saved about 12lbs off the AC delco that was in the car,

Air bags are next, And a race wheel, I kind of like this one $325 ! Ouch lol

Old 01-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Launching!

2 piece rotors Are not Lighter

I weighed them

RB 2 piece, I have other weights,

Also Baer 2 piece are Made In China ! %&$&$% pass

Brembo Sport Cross drilled on my car

Old 01-06-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

tight work vette...
Old 01-06-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=vette0009;14325934]2 piece rotors Are not Lighter

I weighed them

RB 2 piece, I have other weights,

The rotors I have are lighter. I weighed them. 2.5lbs. lighter for the front. 3.5lbs. lighter for the rear. But like you said some are more. I know Stop Tech is more. My rotors are from Performance AFX.

Steve A.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's some more shots.

Steve A.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've been planning on making a center console flat panel like that,...looks dope with the right instruments.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

mountainbiker2, the dash back on looks good and some gauges will really set off thast flat center panel. Looks good man. Any custom light door panels later?

I pulled the ac comp off and condenser last night. Wasnt hard just a bitch removing the water pump. Still did it all in 2hrs taking my time... just needed a 6-pack! Lol. Just curious how much hp is free'd up now that the motor doesnt have to spin that thing. Also Im hoping the radiator will cool a lot better now that the dirty condenser isnt in front of it. Looks like the fans should be able to move more air through it.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I get real bored I might put on some kind of door panel. Two problems with that is, The door is not all one height. It has different levels to it. Plus when I get to the track, I pull out the side glass. So they would have to be removable. Probably to much work for what's its worth.
I don't think you will gain any hp. That compressor spins pretty free.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
If I get real bored I might put on some kind of door panel. Two problems with that is, The door is not all one height. It has different levels to it. Plus when I get to the track, I pull out the side glass. So they would have to be removable. Probably to much work for what's its worth.
I don't think you will gain any hp. That compressor spins pretty free.
I dunno

Maybe you can stretch some fabric
or have a shop do it, ??

Interesting Thread
Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

Well it might be in my head but seems like without the ac compressor and tensioner setup the motor spins up a bit quicker. I can feel it rev up a bit faster even if I barely give it some throttle. I could see how the compressor pulley with a tensioner as well could create some drag. Also without the condenser the car has been running about 20+*F cooler. Before when the coolant temp was usually about 185-195. Without the cond its been no higher than 171-174, even when I would get on it. stopped for 10min at the store, started it back up, coolant was 185 and within 3min of street driving it was down to 171 again. This is great for me because that should mean lower cc temps= less/no detonation or retarded timing especially since Im high compression. Btw I run distilled water with 2 bottles of water wetter. Seems to be working great for me.

Quick Reply: Weight Mods...What You Think?