Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Whats The Differance Between The Ls1 And The Ls2?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats The Differance Between The Ls1 And The Ls2?!?!?

Hey... just like what the title says thanks guys!!!!
Old 02-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Teching In

ls2 is a 6.0, check www.corvettemuseum.com for detailed info
Old 02-23-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, what he said :p
Old 02-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Teching In

The LS2 is a 6.0 liter engine, unlike the LS1 which is a 5.7 liter engine. Along with that, the corvette 6.0 engine happens to have 55 more horsepower than the 6.0 in the Silverado SS
Old 02-28-2004, 12:39 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

I thought the Silverado SS had 395 hp?
Old 03-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Teching In

The siverado SS has 345hp and is an AWD, the thing is it loses power when all the power is distributed to all 4 wheels.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

More displacement (6.0) , more compression (10.9 or 11.0:1) , a slightly bigger cam than the LS6 , 6600 rpm redline , better intake and exhaust than the C5 , and it might even have redesigned ports in the heads , but I'm not sure about that. I think 400/400 are conservative numbers.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

The redline, from what I read over on corvetteforum's tech section, is 7k The LS2 heads are three valve, two smaller intake and one exhaust. The cooling is different in that there is no cooling jackets between the cylinders, hence the wider bore and larger dispalcement. Siamesed is the term I think. They rearranged some components to improve air intake, not sure on the specifics there. By all accounts it is probably under rated at 400/400. Gotta keep the insurance premiums down
Old 03-13-2004, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

This is from Road & Track -
The displacement is 6.0 liters thanks to a 101.6 mm bore (up from 99 mm) the stroke remains 92 mm.Compression is up from 10.1 to 10.9. Redline has been moved up 500 revs to 6500. (That doesn't add up since the old redline was 6250 , it's probably 6600 or 6700) The entire top end of the engine has been reworked with a 90 mm throttle body feeding an all new induction system. The camshaft has a higher lift and is driven by a heavy duty timing chain. The exhaust manifold is also new , with thinner 3 mm walls that allow quicker lightoff of the catalysts , and backpressure has been reduced by 10 percent.
There is no mention of three valves per cylinder , so I doubt that it has more than two per cylinder. If it has more than two valves per cylinder I'm pretty sure that it would be mentioned in every article about the C6 or the LS2. I'm very curious to see what one of these cars will do with a good driver at a good track.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Default LS2 Upgrades

The list so far:
4 inch bore, same stroke
Pistons with full floating wrist pins
Cross-drilled crank?
Higher volume oil pump
Lower volume oil pan without “wings”
Higher lift cam (than a LS1)
LS6 valve springs (the part number has changed but not the spec)
Stronger, long-life timing chain
Heads are improved LS6 type
LS6 style PCV system
Improved intake manifold
90mm throttle body
Redesigned water pump that significantly reduces the probability of a leak
Two-piece thermostat
Lighter, thinner wall exhaust manifolds
Iridium-tip spark plugs
Old 03-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by butcher1
There is no mention of three valves per cylinder , so I doubt that it has more than two per cylinder. If it has more than two valves per cylinder I'm pretty sure that it would be mentioned in every article about the C6 or the LS2. I'm very curious to see what one of these cars will do with a good driver at a good track.
The three valve heads are rumored for the upcoming Z06 replacement's LS7 engine.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike Frey
The three valve heads are rumored for the upcoming Z06 replacement's LS7 engine.

I have heard that rumor too. I doubt that GM is going to do that though. That would call for an entirely new engine and I just don't see where it would be cost effective to put it in only one platform. Unless it's an overhead cam design, it would be very hard to improve on the current 2 valve heads.
My guess is the next Z06 will have a stroked version of the LS2 to the tune of @ 427ci. That alone with a cam that is a little more aggressive than the LS6 cam with maybe some bigger valves would put it over the 500hp mark. The next Z06 will in my opinion weigh in at WELL under 3000lbs as well and have extensive use of aluminum and carbon fiber.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
I have heard that rumor too. I doubt that GM is going to do that though. That would call for an entirely new engine and I just don't see where it would be cost effective to put it in only one platform. Unless it's an overhead cam design, it would be very hard to improve on the current 2 valve heads.
Well here is some of the info I based that on:

http://corvettemechanic.com/board/in...t=0&#entry2946
And

Old 03-15-2004, 06:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well here is some of the info I based that on:

http://corvettemechanic.com/board/in...t=0&#entry2946
And

I think that's the new Ford motor in the pics. I hope GM doesn't go with an entirely new engine. Us LS1 guys won't be able to leech parts from them
Old 03-15-2004, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

My guess is the next Z06 will have a stroked version of the LS2 to the tune of @ 427ci. That alone with a cam that is a little more aggressive than the LS6 cam with maybe some bigger valves would put it over the 500hp mark. The next Z06 will in my opinion weigh in at WELL under 3000lbs as well and have extensive use of aluminum and carbon fiber.
I actually read an article in an SAE trade journal about this 3 valved engine. It was a pushrod motor and somhow piggybacked one of the valves off of the valvetrain like in the photo above. It was also mentioned that that motor will be the one to power the LS7. I wish I could remember more about that article. It would not let me save or cut and paste it as it was protected material. Things change at this stage of development and now the more recent rumor is a 7.0 liter version of the LS2. Probably more bore than stroke. As far as the weight goes, they will probably lose weight but not "WELL under 3000lbs" as stated above. You have to start thinking where they would save the weight. I think it might be a tad under 3000lbs which would be miraculous. 100lbs at these weights is worth more than 100lbs of gold. But, they did loose a lot of weight in the C6(ie the LS2 is 20lbs lighter than the LS1) but they just reinstalled that weight with luxury items(ie Nav systems). I think the car still comes in a little lighter than the C5 Coupe. Hopefully GM will keep true to the ZO6 formula and keep the luxury out of the car(well like the current ZO6.....still has some decent stuff). A 500hp 29xxLB car would be a true world beater....especially if they keep the price where it is.......which they must. I can't wait!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Did you guys even read the link I provided?
Old 03-15-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wouldn't let me without signing in. Can you summarize?
I think 2800lbs is possible with the new Z06 but I also think they're gonna make us pay for it too. If GM wants to be the big dog it's going to have to pull all the stops. Carbon fiber doesn't cost what it did a few years back but it still ain't cheap and is a must on "supercars" now. Magnesium wheels and ceramic brakes would lessen unsprung weight. Delete a few creature comforts and I think your there. I think your also going to be stickering at 75k but still a great deal compared to the Viper and GT.
I better start saving up now.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Mike, I can't get to it without registering first. Lately I've been avoiding sites that make you register just to read posts & articles.

Can you cut-n-paste the info?
Old 03-15-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Wouldn't let me without signing in. Can you summarize?
I think 2800lbs is possible with the new Z06 but I also think they're gonna make us pay for it too. If GM wants to be the big dog it's going to have to pull all the stops. Carbon fiber doesn't cost what it did a few years back but it still ain't cheap and is a must on "supercars" now. Magnesium wheels and ceramic brakes would lessen unsprung weight. Delete a few creature comforts and I think your there. I think your also going to be stickering at 75k but still a great deal compared to the Viper and GT.
I better start saving up now.
The current wheels are as light as the previous magnesium wheels. Carbon fiber is still too expensive. And no offense, but I don't think you understand the GM philosophy(and Corvette philosophy for that matter). Their philososphy is sell everything you build.....and they build a shitload of cars. The Corvette philosophy is all about value and keep the car within reach of the middle class. A 75k car would put it in the category of a limited production car.....that's not what GM is into. You will see this car priced right about where it was for 2004....somewhere in the mid 50s. I would guess the car will weigh right around 2950.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FLYNLO
The current wheels are as light as the previous magnesium wheels. Carbon fiber is still too expensive. And no offense, but I don't think you understand the GM philosophy(and Corvette philosophy for that matter). Their philososphy is sell everything you build.....and they build a shitload of cars. The Corvette philosophy is all about value and keep the car within reach of the middle class. A 75k car would put it in the category of a limited production car.....that's not what GM is into. You will see this car priced right about where it was for 2004....somewhere in the mid 50s. I would guess the car will weigh right around 2950.

I can appreciate the middle class philosophy and Ford and Dodge subscribe to that as well. Lately though, there seems to be a push to garner top honors...the GT and now the ME4-12 (I know it's just a concept). The Dodge SRT-10 pickup is another example. I'm not saying it would be best for GM to get caught up in the frey, but they may not want to take a chance on it paying off big for the other big two with absolutely nothing left to counter with. Middle class drivers will still be able to get an incredible car with the base vette but I think the General is also wanting to have something for the prospective Mercedes, Porshe, and Ford GT budgeted driver.
As a loyal GM driver, I hope your right to an extent that I may be able to afford one soon. On the other hand I want to see Chevy drop a nuke with the new Z06.