Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Hatch or FRC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked the hatch for a while a lot more than the FRC look, but after some time I realized I like the hard "I'm going to beat you like a red-headed step child" look of the FRC more. The FRC looks more beefy and the hatch looks more clean and sleek.

Here's my reasons for going FRC:

A) Looks better
B) It's lighter
C) The Z06 comes as FRC only
D) Lots of trunk space with a trunk lid. Nobody sees what's in my trunk (and that's good!)

The only draw back is the lack of a targa top. But I have access to my dad's 03 Vert if I wanted a top-down situation going on.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ProMaroZ
The coupe has a higher top speed, because of the rear glass. The FRC's are more rare, and usually have less options. No FRC's came with sport seats, power passenger seats, or 2 tone interiors. If I'm not mistaken FRC's didn't have HUD's either (Might be FRC vs Z06 difference). They should also have a cooler interior and not have leaks like a removable top can.

I like the looks of the hard top cars the best. Seems more like the cockpit of a jet to me
The coupe does not have a higher top speed because of the rear glass. This has been proven time and time again. The aerodynamics difference between the coupe and FRC is a drag coefficient difference of ~0.03. A difference that equals about 14LBs at 100MPH. The top speed of the Z06 is limited by gearing. If I hear another person say in a serious manner that the FRC's aero limits it's top speed, I'm going to find them and kill them with a plastic butter knife.

If you really want to know more about this, please do a search on this on CF. To set the record straight, the Z06's top speed is purely limited by gearing in 5th gear. Neither cars make enough power (stock) to push higher speeds in 6th gear, nor should you if you made enough power since 6th gear is rather weak. The top speed of the Z06 is 172MPH. The top speed of the coupe is 178MPH. In theory, if the coupe had enough power, it would actually go to 182MPH in 5th. If the you put an MN6 (instead of an MN12) trans into the Z06, the Z06 WOULD push to 182MPH. For those of you that have stock coupes that have seen speeds higher than 178MPH, please get your speedo checked.

FRCs were optioned with the HUD. I know that the 2000 FRC was for sure. I believe the 99 was as well although I could be mistaken on that.

Last edited by SCM_Crash; 05-24-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love my FRC

My '00 FRC is my most favorite Corvette yet. I was going to sell it when I bought the '07, but I could not part with it. I'm really happy with it. I added Sport Seats & HUD. Now it's waiting for a LS3/454. I have no idea what the top end is and I'll never know.

If it's nice I take my '07 vert out.

Bob K.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
The coupe does not have a higher top speed because of the rear glass. This has been proven time and time again. The aerodynamics difference between the coupe and FRC is a drag coefficient difference of ~0.03. A difference that equals about 14LBs at 100MPH. The top speed of the Z06 is limited by gearing. If I hear another person say in a serious manner that the FRC's aero limits it's top speed, I'm going to find them and kill them with a plastic butter knife.

If you really want to know more about this, please do a search on this on CF. To set the record straight, the Z06's top speed is purely limited by gearing in 5th gear. Neither cars make enough power (stock) to push higher speeds in 6th gear, nor should you if you made enough power since 6th gear is rather weak. The top speed of the Z06 is 172MPH. The top speed of the coupe is 178MPH. In theory, if the coupe had enough power, it would actually go to 182MPH in 5th. If the you put an MN6 (instead of an MN12) trans into the Z06, the Z06 WOULD push to 182MPH. For those of you that have stock coupes that have seen speeds higher than 178MPH, please get your speedo checked.

FRCs were optioned with the HUD. I know that the 2000 FRC was for sure. I believe the 99 was as well although I could be mistaken on that.
I hope you got a bunch of plastic butter knives
Old 05-25-2011, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ProMaroZ
I hope you got a bunch of plastic butter knives
HAHA... Funny thing is that I'd just got done eating El Pollo Loco and looked around the table for something I could kill someone with. That was the first thing I spotted.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Launching!

It's hard to beat the lines of the FRC, but if you want to blow the top, you gotta go hatch.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by performinnorman
It's hard to beat the lines of the FRC, but if you want to blow the top, you gotta go hatch.
OR! Some people have done targa conversions to the FRC. I believe there's a kit for that now.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

I wish I had a FRC. Love the look, I'll bet its quieter & cooler in the sun. The real plus with the regular coupe though is room. I was able to put my 2 275/40/17" MT DR's in the back & drive to the track along with a jack & some tools. O yea FRC are stick shift only.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Really it should be about what look you prefer. The FRC weighs a little less. All of them were Z51/manual cars which is good. The coupe has a removable roof, more options, etc. The coupe is supposed to be more aerodynamic (Lingenfelter had some data on this way back). But put away the knives. Even if it's true, it's nothing that should really be a factor in your purchasing decision (unless Bonneville or some other top speed competition is big deal to you).

Really which one do you like the looks of better? The small differences aren't anything to lose sleep over.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I personally perfer and like the look of the coupe better. The hatch is not all that small IMO. The targa top is just awesome to have. The FRC has a slight handling advantage, but I didn't buy a race car, I bought a sweet toy to enjoy on the street so the slight handling advantage didn't mean squat to me. The coupe is slightly more aerodynamic, unless top speed is you're #1 priority, why would anyone care about that?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

I bought a FRC. I like the look way better then the C5 coupe. Personally, I didn't care about the lack of removable top. To be honest, I only roll down the windows like 2-3 times a year. Air conditioning for the win.

If you really want an open you can do the targa top mod which looks pretty bad a$$ on a hardtop.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:54 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FRC>Coupe

I had both, the coupe looks filthy slammed and tinted but the FRC just has the "smashing baby seals" look, all the time.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Launching!

I really love the body lines of the frc but, I also like the option to take the top off and go for a cruise topless. Just depends on what you want. Ashame you can't have it both ways.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28MP
I really love the body lines of the frc but, I also like the option to take the top off and go for a cruise topless. Just depends on what you want. Ashame you can't have it both ways.
See below... You definitely can.

Originally Posted by OutKlast
I bought a FRC. I like the look way better then the C5 coupe. Personally, I didn't care about the lack of removable top. To be honest, I only roll down the windows like 2-3 times a year. Air conditioning for the win.

If you really want an open you can do the targa top mod which looks pretty bad a$$ on a hardtop.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool

Originally Posted by RGKSR
My '00 FRC is my most favorite Corvette yet. I was going to sell it when I bought the '07, but I could not part with it.
Same here. I ended up selling my modded C6 & keeping my 00 FRC. The C6 was a great machine, but I just didn't feel connected to it like my FRC.

The FRC is devalued enough where I can have a cage put in, turn up the boost, and not have to worry about residual value.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FRC was one of the best bodies Corvette has ever had. They should have done it with the C6Z06 but they failed which is a good thing for the unusual but good looking C5 FRC.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
See below... You definitely can.
I've seen people do that to their frc's and chop the top off to make it a drop top. It wouldve been nice if it was a factory option. IMO got to be pretty bold to cut up a vehicle that's not really all that cheap.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My 99 FRC had hud, dual climate control, and cd changer, power driver seat. The FRC is lighter and the looks are hard to beat.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3 storage compartments in the back of my fixed roof coupe. Daily drove it for years. Pinnacle design....autocross champion around the nation...frc body style for sure. Dig the targa...they have they're purpose but, I dig the frc.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

CUMSHOT 1A and 1B....take your pick....is there such a thing as a bad c5 ??
My favorite so far was Motley Drews black z06

Quick Reply: Hatch or FRC?