Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 Balancer, How to get to it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C5 Balancer, How to get to it?

Need to pull the balancer off my wife's '98. I kind of look at it yesterday, but it was dark outside. Looks to me like the steering rack is dead center of the balancer. And about 2" away from it also.
How to you get a socket in there let alone a puller? Do you have to jack the motor up or what?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by RENE'S RAGE; 12-01-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry dude, but you'll have to pull the rack. The factory torque on that bolt is 235lb/ft for the arp bolt. If you dont get a good grip on it with a 6 point socket, you'll wreck the screw head. Forget about using a wrench. The rack is held on with only 2 bolts. Pop the tie-rods, disconnect the two hydraulic lines, unplug the magnasteer or what ever it is, and pull the rack out from the driver's side well. Dropping the front cradle a little helps A LOT.

Good Luck
Mitch
Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mitch_Bond
Sorry dude, but you'll have to pull the rack. The factory torque on that bolt is 235lb/ft for the arp bolt. If you dont get a good grip on it with a 6 point socket, you'll wreck the screw head. Forget about using a wrench. The rack is held on with only 2 bolts. Pop the tie-rods, disconnect the two hydraulic lines, unplug the magnasteer or what ever it is, and pull the rack out from the driver's side well. Dropping the front cradle a little helps A LOT.

Good Luck
Mitch
Yep, what he said. It sounds a lot harder than it really is. Hell you might as well change the cam while you are in there
Old 12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mitch_Bond

Good Luck
Mitch
Thanks Mitch, I've never mess with tie rods before. Will I have to have the front end re-align? I sure don't want to drop the cradle.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Eric Fischer
Yep, what he said. It sounds a lot harder than it really is. Hell you might as well change the cam while you are in there
LOL, hell, she doesn't even let me sit in the car, more less change the cam out.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You won't need an alignment and you don't need to mess with the cradle.

I don't even bother to take the rack all of the way out. I just slide it out of the passengrs side of the car and set it on a box.

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
Thanks Mitch, I've never mess with tie rods before. Will I have to have the front end re-align? I sure don't want to drop the cradle.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM
9 Second Club

Here is the basic jest of it but you are not touching the heads and cam part.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=1
Old 12-03-2011, 12:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikep2002
Here is the basic jest of it but you are not touching the heads and cam part.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=1
Thanks!!!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:43 PM
9 Second Club

The reason I'm pulling the balancer is that it's wobbling abit and making a squeaking noise. I think that the rubber has gone bad or seperated from the metal. Anyone have this problem before. I had this happen on my '83 Z-28 back in the day.
I've change out the balancer on my '99 WS6, a half dozen times, with cam swaps and ect.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:37 PM
9 Second Club

The problem you mention is quite common. But honestly never had it happen to myself. Good luck and its really not too bad you will do fine.

Quick Reply: C5 Balancer, How to get to it?