Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 Z06 short shifter question. Newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Z06 short shifter question. Newbie.

I just bought a used 2002 z06 2 days ago. So i am a newbie to the corvette thing, I traded my 01 SS in for it. Im sure I will be in here more often now.

Anyway it has a short shifter in it, Im not sure what kind. I pulled the boot back and shift **** off to see what kind it was. No markings found but after looking at pics online it looks like a MGW except the bracket that that attaches the upper rod to the lower is billet silver colored not like the black bracket on the MGW website. Is this an older design or a different brand?

Also since I have never driven a Z06 until I bought this, the shifter feels very short and can be difficult to find 1st and reverse. There is little to no play in netural so its hard to tell where its going, shifter feels tight. Not sure what to compare it to except the SS. Anyone else get this?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am not sure on what brand yours is but I have a Hurst. The top of the base is gold colored so it doesnt sound like yours. As far first and reverse I dont have any issues with mine. The shorter stick on the shifter did make it take more arm strength to shift versus the taller factory shifter though.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Silver408z
I am not sure on what brand yours is but I have a Hurst. The top of the base is gold colored so it doesnt sound like yours. As far first and reverse I dont have any issues with mine. The shorter stick on the shifter did make it take more arm strength to shift versus the taller factory shifter though.
I have a 2003 Z and first went with a B&M shifter. Shifted good but reverse in a parking lot was a nightmare. Nothing worked as far as adjusting so I tried the MGW. This was a night and day difference as the MGW was smooth as glass, even going in reverse.

You might look up how to adjust your shifter before buying another.

I think this was my B&M

Last edited by pittman; 01-08-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I tried the MGW and didn't care for it. First through fourth was fine but fifth, sixth, and reverse required too much effort. It was notchy as well. I then modified the stock C5 by sawing off about an inch and a half and that worked very well with a billet handle...effort and engagement was perfect but the shifter was still a little tall. I now have a shortened C6Z shifter and it is perfect.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

I kind of know what you mean, the bushings are somewhat firmer in the Z06.. and the shorter the handle the less leverage you will have.
But, after some time I'm sure you will learn it perfecftly..mine took me a while..
Old 01-10-2012, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for replies guys. I can drive the car and will probably get used to it but dont want a chance at a mis-shift.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Mez
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
I kind of know what you mean, the bushings are somewhat firmer in the Z06.. and the shorter the handle the less leverage you will have.
But, after some time I'm sure you will learn it perfecftly..mine took me a while..
You can purchase replacement rubber bushings for the shifter box and they will help firm up the feel and reduce vibration. They are available from Corvette Central, Mid-America, eBay and other places.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Teching In

I'm actually looking for one right now I think I'm going to try b&m ripper I looks like more people like this one
Old 01-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

That's what I have. Works great and put a custom billet plate in place to replace the shifter boot.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Teching In

You may want to venture over to the corvetteforum and do a search on shifters. I installed a C6Z06 shifter and am very satisfied
Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

S carve I see your about 40 min from me. If your around any meets/shows you can try my MGW out.

Here's a link to my install

https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-...****-boot.html

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 short shifter question. Newbie.