Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

VERY confused, I'm over thinking it, Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VERY confused, I'm over thinking it, Help Please!

Hi everyone. I've gotta 98z28 m6 and soon I will be buying a new car. This will be a daily driver for the most part Except I'll probably try to buy a beater for the crappy weather months we get in KC but for the most part it'll be a DD.

I need help because I'm over thinking the C5 vs. LS2 GTO, both M6

My thoughts on the Vette:

I'm afraid it'll be TOO similar to my z28, I might not feel like I've upgraded... Both super plasticy inside and both the same engines... BUT that being said: Isn't the vette a completely different frame? I've heard it's structure makes for a 10x better ride quality and it's handling it's also much superior.

Other good things is that I can say I own a Vette and it'll keep it's value better than the GTO. And it's definitely a Eye catcher! I love it!

My thoughts on the GTO:

A much better interior,
A much newer car 04(minimum) vs 98(what I currently have),
Very comfy and seems more practical as a DD? Or that could be just me defending it (disagreement is encouraged in this thread!)

With that being said...
It's a dead brand(pontiac),
It'll lose it's value faster,
The look definitely doesn't live up to the vette, though I still do like it, I don't hate on it's plainness like others.

And with all my GTO and Vette points being said I'd just like to add this: I got my Camaro when I was 17 and am now close to 22(next month) and I've got my teenage ***-hole type of driving for the most part out of the way. I don't take off the line like I used to, I don't down shift from 4 to 2nd ect. ect. I still have fun with it... but I don't beat it to death lol So my next car will be 100x more babied! I'll have a winter beater, which I don't have right now for my camaro, and it'll be driven much more sanely, versus my 17yr old days lol

So with all that said, what do you guys suggest? And elaborating your point would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 AM
On The Tree

There is no comparison between a vette and fbody. The vette is a hands down better street car. I have both and as far as a DD, the vette is a way better driving experience. They get the best mileage of the 3 cars as well.

If you don't need a back seat go with the vette, otherwise the GTO is a nice choice.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:13 AM
master of the "jack"stand

Originally Posted by ProMaroZ
There is no comparison between a vette and fbody. The vette is a hands down better street car. I have both and as far as a DD, the vette is a way better driving experience.
Agreed 100%. I own both and the C5 blows away the F-Body when it comes to the joy of driving it. Go drive one, you'll know what we mean right away.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Launching!

lol it's funny, this is exactly why I posted this in Vette and GTO section, to see the bias comments

GTO people point out the comfort of their vehicle(understandbly) and "if you've got more than 1 friend, you'll need a back seat", both great points.

BUT they also say "non-z06 c5 = not impressive coming from an f-body" Any comments towards that?

Tell you the truth I very very rarely use my back seats in my z28, I only throw my junk back there, CD's and piles of paper and ect. If we've got a bigger group of people, we can just take their cars, we don't need to cramp all the people in a 2door, you know? At least that's my point of view anyway.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by D3VIL

BUT they also say "non-z06 c5 = not impressive coming from an f-body" Any comments towards that?
It isn't a matter of z06 vs non. Any C5 blows away an F-body driving experience-wise. Anyone who has driven both will tell you this. My F-body has DMS springs, Koni DAs, 1LE bars, etc. I drove a 120,000 Z51 FRC with stock tired shocks and I bought it the same week I was so blown away. After lowering it and putting Bilsteins on there, the 2 cars are a light year apart. My C5 is 400 pounds lighter, lower CG, IRS, full frame...the 2 cars are in different leagues all together. I guess it depends on how spirited you drive the cars also. People putting around the twisties won't notice anything, but they should probably be driving a Kia at that point. I drove a GTO once for about 4 miles so I can't really comment on them.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't need a back seat then I can't think of any other reason to get a GTO over a Vette. The oldest base model C5 will run circles around any GTO on any track and will always have a higher resale value. I just moved from a 5th gen (pretty close to a GTO with more power) to an LS2 C6. I couldn't be happier.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

the vette is hands down a better set up.. its lighter and has a lot technology in it.. hands down.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 AM
On The Tree

Another way to look at it is that the Corvette is GM's flagship sports car. It is designed and engineered to be a better car. This is part of the reason that they cost more money from the factory when they are new.

The Corvette is a sports car. The closest thing to a factory built street legal race car. Whereas the GTO is still a pony car. It filled the roll of the F-body while it was gone.

Most owners will be biased to their cars, Most of us in this forum have had or still own F-bodies along with Corvettes. I know the GTO is a bit nicer then the F-body with its IRS and interior, but how many of the GTO owners own Corvettes? Don't get me wrong, I like the goats, but it is no Corvette.

Lastly the Corvette has way better styling, and does not look like a any other car like the GTO resembles the Grand Prix.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would just keep the Z28 for a DD/beater and get the vette for a fun, sunny weather car if you can swing it financially. That's what I did. You will get a break on your insurance with the two car discount.
As far as the choice between a GTO and a vette, you just have to go drive them and decide.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

I have a C5 and a GTO. I love them both. the daily driver for me is a Tahoe and the wife gets the GTO. Both cars are fun to drive but I do prefer the Corvette for a more fun spirited drive. I have done quite a few mods to both cars and will tell you the GTO seems to be a little shall we say retarded when it comes to getting parts. I mean starter, extra keys, suspension parts. Look for a replacement tie rod end once. I will say I still love the car and to have to hunt for some parts once in a while just adds to the uniqueness.

Chris
Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

I went from a 05 GTO with 4,000 miles to a 03 C5Z with 40,000 miles. I'd do it all over again too! No disrespect to the GTO, however. The LS2 was an absolute beast. I just didn't care for car as a whole, however.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive a vette for 15 minutes and you'll never be confused about it again.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

exactly, my buddy let me drive his..and i was hooked
Old 01-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

I'm 23 and bought my 03 when I was 21. I test drove all three cars an 05 GTO a 99 and my 03 vette. Obvious which one I chose. After driving the corvette i wasnt very impressed with the GTO. But even after owning for two years now my friend with an 01 camaro still begs me all the time "can I drive?". Hope that helps
Old 01-14-2012, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

You won't regret getting a vette. My f body has been gone since August and I've had my C6 for a month and don't miss the t/a at all.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

A C5 vette is much nicer than an F-body, but certain buttons etc (e.g. radio) may still remind you of your F-body. Not sure what your budget is, but a C6 is what I'd aim for. You'll notice a huge step-up from your F-body. Otherwise look for a C5z and enjoy a sportscar.

BTW, you have a beater. So as long as that has a back seat, don't worry about buying a 2 seater. You don't need to own the team bus to haul your friends around.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the replies, they've been super helpful!

I will have a beater, but it'll be just for the bad weather(winter), but other than that I'll be driving the Vette or GTO as a daily. And as long as the Vette is nothing worst than the F-Body(comfort wise), I'm fine with it. I mean the F-body isn't bad, but it's "whobblyness" is quite out there, not very hidden at all lol

The Vette is just SOOOOO sexy! But the interior is definitely not an upgrade from the f-body, it's the same more or less, maybe a tad bit better. I guess it might come down to Enjoying the sensation of driving OR enjoying the comfort of a DD, which the GTO has big couches as their seats.

That's also one selling point IMO for the GTO, that you can be hard on it AND relax with it, it has two characters, like an M3. Where as the Vette I feel like to enjoy it, you have to use it's strong point, which is it's awesome drive ability, but not necessarily it's comfort... but I could be wrong, disagreeing is encouraged

But then again the Vette actually does have 2 strong points... it's also super Sexy lol That counts
Old 01-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Launching!

And No my friends, I do not have money for a C5Z or a C6.

My budget which I search for on Autotrader is 17/18, which I find plenty of results 97-04 with less than 55k on them, but I'm looking to bring down their price to 15/16, so my budget is no more than 16, because after tax and license and all the fun stuff the price will go up to 18 easily.

Another question I have is did they do any minor updates through out the years 97 through 04 at all? To the non-Z06 that is...
Old 01-15-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by D3VIL
Another question I have is did they do any minor updates through out the years 97 through 04 at all? To the non-Z06 that is...
Here is a nice breakdown of the yearly C5 changes

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/C..._in_models.pdf