Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

SLP Long Tube Header Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Long Tube Header Review

Well, I know I am new to the Corvette section of this forum, but I guess it won't hurt to put in my 2 cents on the SLP's I had installed.

First off, a couple of people said that the headers weren't worth a chit on making any power, and I have to say, What in the hell were they talking about! These things are great, increased throttle response, much stronger mid power without any down low loss. The car starts to really pull at 3500 rpms all the way to 6300rpms, where I had my shift points set at. Major seat of the pants improvement, felt more dramatic than my intake, catback and computer tune combined! The only con that I have found is that it really increases in cabin noise when getting on it or even mid throttle, but sounds stock when cruising, and mean when flooring it! Took a couple of hours to get used to the noise of it, and am still getting used to the new power found.

Ridiculous to install, and no freakin room left in the engine bay! Also the engine bay seems cooler now with the ceramic coating than it did with the stock manifolds(surprizing to me!). They look freakin sweet in the motorbay too. The only thing that looked a little cheap is some of the welds could have been better done, but I guess only time will tell if there will be any problems with the welds. These things seal real well also, due the 1/2" flange! The motorboat sound is gone due to the H pipe extension, and now the exhaust sounds right.

The pull of the car from 80 to 120 is real strong, with a thrust into the seat. The car in no way did that before, and it would peter out after 120, where it felt strong till 140 now. Also the rear broke out a little on the 2 to 3 shift twice now, and that is at 105mph before the car shifts. Equal length tubing has proven itself to me on this application.

In my book, worth every penny, also save the money and have someone install for you, they are a PITA to install!!!!!!!!!!! I will run again at the track on the 16th and report on the stats then.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Hodge, I dunno where you read that headers were not worth it. Headers are THE single best bolton you can do to an LS1 motor. Usually good for at least 20RWHP or more. There is not another bolton that will net you that much power. That is also why you will never see a well modded LS1 without them.....every single one will have them or they are giving up at least that much power and even more if they have internal engine work done. COngrats on the headers.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FLYNLO
Hodge, I dunno where you read that headers were not worth it. Headers are THE single best bolton you can do to an LS1 motor. Usually good for at least 20RWHP or more. There is not another bolton that will net you that much power. That is also why you will never see a well modded LS1 without them.....every single one will have them or they are giving up at least that much power and even more if they have internal engine work done. COngrats on the headers.
I think he was refering to the SLP headers in general not making as much power due to the spaghetti bends etc. to achieve equal lengths. I put SLP headers on my 99 SS and it gained over 20+ rwhp. And I definitely felt the extra power. They were by far the hardest headers to install due to all of the bends, but I never had any complaints with them.

Dean
Old 04-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hodgeee
Well, I know I am new to the Corvette section of this forum, but I guess it won't hurt to put in my 2 cents on the SLP's I had installed.

First off, a couple of people said that the headers weren't worth a chit on making any power, and I have to say, What in the hell were they talking about! These things are great, increased throttle response, much stronger mid power without any down low loss. The car starts to really pull at 3500 rpms all the way to 6300rpms, where I had my shift points set at. Major seat of the pants improvement, felt more dramatic than my intake, catback and computer tune combined! The only con that I have found is that it really increases in cabin noise when getting on it or even mid throttle, but sounds stock when cruising, and mean when flooring it! Took a couple of hours to get used to the noise of it, and am still getting used to the new power found.

Ridiculous to install, and no freakin room left in the engine bay! Also the engine bay seems cooler now with the ceramic coating than it did with the stock manifolds(surprizing to me!). They look freakin sweet in the motorbay too. The only thing that looked a little cheap is some of the welds could have been better done, but I guess only time will tell if there will be any problems with the welds. These things seal real well also, due the 1/2" flange! The motorboat sound is gone due to the H pipe extension, and now the exhaust sounds right.

The pull of the car from 80 to 120 is real strong, with a thrust into the seat. The car in no way did that before, and it would peter out after 120, where it felt strong till 140 now. Also the rear broke out a little on the 2 to 3 shift twice now, and that is at 105mph before the car shifts. Equal length tubing has proven itself to me on this application.

In my book, worth every penny, also save the money and have someone install for you, they are a PITA to install!!!!!!!!!!! I will run again at the track on the 16th and report on the stats then.
Geeez Hodgee.... who would of thought. I heard they were junk....from some of the guys that never had them installed, that is Oh BTW, you're welcome, for the encouragement to go with them.

There's more in my sig that may help you also...unless you decide to igore it.

Sorry about the sarcasm guys, but sometimes it just comes out

Mike
Old 04-05-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikie C

Geeez Hodgee.... who would of thought. I heard they were junk....from some of the guys that never had them installed, that is Oh BTW, you're welcome, for the encouragement to go with them.

There's more in my sig that may help you also...unless you decide to igore it.

Sorry about the sarcasm guys, but sometimes it just comes out

Mike
Dude, I still wonder if my car could run like yours with a stall and gears and some drag slicks, I dunno!? Were talking knocking off 2 seconds off of my quarter and I figure with traction and stall and gears, maybe 1 second at best! Sorry, not that I doubted you or the shop, just disheartening when 10 out of 12 people say nay about something. Love them, and I am right at doing your install except the intake, to worried about when it rains here. When it rains in Vegas it just floods, and I am scarred of vacuuming up some water. I said what the hell and ordered a cam now too! Can't Hurt!
Old 04-06-2004, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hodgeee
Dude, I still wonder if my car could run like yours with a stall and gears and some drag slicks, I dunno!? Were talking knocking off 2 seconds off of my quarter and I figure with traction and stall and gears, maybe 1 second at best! Sorry, not that I doubted you or the shop, just disheartening when 10 out of 12 people say nay about something. Love them, and I am right at doing your install except the intake, to worried about when it rains here. When it rains in Vegas it just floods, and I am scarred of vacuuming up some water. I said what the hell and ordered a cam now too! Can't Hurt!
Yes it can...you don't even need the slicks, only drag radials. Change the gears and converter and look out ! I think Mikie will agree....I have recently "detuned" my car and still we have it going 11.3's and using it as a daily driver...and no cold air package either so no water ingestion.

Quick Reply: SLP Long Tube Header Review