Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

LQ9; is 100lbs on the nose a huge deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9; is 100lbs on the nose a huge deal?

Well as per my other post, looking at a C5 with a 6.0 iron block swap. I've been reading up a bit on what I can find about it. Looks like the Lq9 is 80-100lbs heavier. Is it that big of a deal? It's only putting 420rwhp at the moment, I'd do a big H/C swap or FI later. Just see people arguing over LS2 v Lq9 swaps.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with lq9..

If you're buying new you have to decide how much # is worth spending/saving for 110#. If you're going to offset the weight by buying a k member, a arms, etc etc.. Just buy the aluminum to.begin with as that is actually cheaper
.1 difference at ghetto drag strip.

If staying na I would go aluminum, anything else I would go iron.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Broski
Well as per my other post, looking at a C5 with a 6.0 iron block swap. I've been reading up a bit on what I can find about it. Looks like the Lq9 is 80-100lbs heavier. Is it that big of a deal? It's only putting 420rwhp at the moment, I'd do a big H/C swap or FI later. Just see people arguing over LS2 v Lq9 swaps.

Only way I would go IRON in a vette, is if I was trying to make big forced induction and bigger power.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you can get a good enough deal on it, just do the kmember and a-arms as somebody stated before if you want to nearly "balance" the weight out again.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

I dont see what the big deal would be... Doesnt a Maggie weigh around 80lbs anyway?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MylesF7
I dont see what the big deal would be... Doesnt a Maggie weigh around 80lbs anyway?
He is planning on keeping it NA. I think he is just worried about the weight distribution being knocked a little bit
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have done it in many of my personal cars as well as countless customer cars. The only time I see the weight being an issue is in a road race application. I am told from our customers that they can feel the extra weight in the front of the car in high G cornering. Also the weight difference is 69-72lbs. We weigh and ship these motors daily and have never seen more than that on a basic iron block. You will see more on forged motors and significantly more on lsx blocks but the basic LQ9 is only about 70lbs. I would not let it deter you from the car.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thompson
I would not let it deter you from the car.
Worse case scenario he can just use it for a FI application
Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Kyle, I have seen numerous reports of 100+, several at 110#.. 70 is on the lowest side I have seen. However, I really hope you are correct.

Do you have a clue what the difference is between my 370 and an ls1 with stock internal?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
He is planning on keeping it NA. I think he is just worried about the weight distribution being knocked a little bit
Yeah, that's my point. If he had the stock block and added a maggie he would be in the same weight situation right? People install blowers all the time with no regard for the added weight so I don't see why this would be any different. My maggied TBSS (1ss) weighed in a good bit more than a stock 3ss TBSS and seemed to handle the same (Although that is a terrible comparison as my truck weighed almost 5k lbs)

I have, however driven a maggied Z06 and it didnt seem to handle any different than my NA Z06...

JMHO
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Only way I would go IRON in a vette, is if I was trying to make big forced induction and bigger power.
100% agreed! If I was putting a Iron Block on a Vette I would go big with it otherwise I would stick with a Aluminum block
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info and advise! I feel like I atleast understand more now. Haha

Is there a way I could go about taking advantage of an iron block keeping it NA? For around $1,500-$2,000? I feel like I'd get carried away, and I don't have the cash flow or time to maintain a DD 800rwhp or more FI car. Haha

My situation is a guy is wanting to trade me a bike (I've been wanting another since I sold my R6) and cash for my V. And this thing popped up, in my range and with decent mileage. I don't have to have this one, just the only good buy around at the moment that I can find, and maybe a safe way to make lots of power, it being an iron block.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

People don't care about added weight of a blower/turbo because your added a substantial amount of power.
An iron block just adds weight, no added power benefit.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Im taking an the LS1 out of my car and it is being replaced with an iron block. Like mentioned above I bought a k-member, tubular A-arms, coilovers, etc. to offset the weight difference. Plus Im adding a single front mount turbo so any weight I might gain in the front can be offset by PSI.

I wouldn't let the iron block deter you away from the car, I have driven and riden in many cars with iron blocks and you wouldn't even notice the difference.

There would be no "power" difference in the block material, just the added cubes (im guessing the reason they put the iron block in the vette to begin with). Nitrous kist are decently cheap used, just spray it and make up what you lost in weight and then some.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
People don't care about added weight of a blower/turbo because your added a substantial amount of power.
An iron block just adds weight, no added power benefit.
This is a valid point. Didn't think of it that way.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SMOKNSS
Im taking an the LS1 out of my car and it is being replaced with an iron block. Like mentioned above I bought a k-member, tubular A-arms, coilovers, etc. to offset the weight difference. Plus Im adding a single front mount turbo so any weight I might gain in the front can be offset by PSI.

I wouldn't let the iron block deter you away from the car, I have driven and riden in many cars with iron blocks and you wouldn't even notice the difference.

There would be no "power" difference in the block material, just the added cubes (im guessing the reason they put the iron block in the vette to begin with). Nitrous kist are decently cheap used, just spray it and make up what you lost in weight and then some.
So you spent well over a grand to get you back to the weight you started.. Instead of spending the same amount to stay at that weight, then later add the same parts and get under where you started.

I will be adding all the lite weight suspension pieces as well but not because I bought Iron over Aluminum, but because it is part of the modding process... I will however be going with an aluminum block next time around, I had to get something decent in the car now and didn't have the extra change for an aluminum stroker.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Unless you do a lot of HPDEs or road race you probably won't notice that much of a difference. It won't dissipate heat like an Al block will though. I don't knock about the lq9 but the lsx iron block is 100+ lbs more than the Al block. ~120-130 iirc
Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

You don't even need a iron block to make big power with FI. It may make you feel better but there are plenty of aluminum blocks making big power with blowers and turbo's. if I'm adding weight it better add power.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm really proud of my lightweight, non gutted 3128lb forced induction car with half a tank of gas, and a 25lb fire bottle in it. Would another 100lbs on the front matter , in MY world, yes. I like to "track" the car...and you can use that term any way you want...and another 100lbs on the front, would change the way drive the vehicle...without a doubt.

Good news is, you can adjust , and mod in some way shape or form for it to not be noticeable. One, you start driving it like it is, you'll never notice the difference.

Two..if you wanted to make a change..What do you know about coilovers? What I know is, it was one of the best mods I have ever done to a car, any car, not just for adjustability,..but, the dynamic feel you get, in a vette, with coilovers, is like, serious street car but, can easily turn into race car really quickly. It makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive. Mine is pretty much a race setup...with minimum adjustments,..but if you wanted to have it softer,..there are adjustable sets out there. If you wanted it firmer,..obviously turn it clockwise...

My point is,..you could spec out a firmer rate spring,...and upgrade your shocks at the same time. You'd never know the difference,...and in the end, you'd get more feedback from the car. Making it much more enjoyable to drive.

Win.

Do it.

Or buy it, keep it how it is, and just enjoy it.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the difference between the LQ9 and LQ4?

Quick Reply: LQ9; is 100lbs on the nose a huge deal?