Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Brand New 2004 C5 - Help my Friend!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brand New 2004 C5 - Help my Friend!

hey C5 guys my good friend just traded in his Mustang (and $40,000) for a new 2004 A4 C5. he asked me to post a question up here for him - what should his first mods be keeping in mind he doesn't want to void his warranty???

I told him an intake and catback are a pretty good start to improve airflow - is there something else he should do first? If not any suggestions on which intake and exhaust? Do headers void warranty?
Old 05-20-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget the TQ converter! That's the single most important item.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I know - but will that affect his warranty?
Old 05-20-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to oversimplify this but it really depends on the dealer. There are some who'll give you trouble for practically ANY change you make to the car and others who'll look the other way no matter what. Most fall in the middle. I think the way the law reads (not 100% on this) it's up to THEM to prove that the modification was the cause of the failure if they want to deny warranty. However, it's not always just so cut and dried when it comes to fighting them. It can be a very tough fight even if you're clearly in the right if the dealer really wants to be difficult.

I'm lucky enough to have a very understanding dealer (helps to have a good long history with them.)
Old 05-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mako22
what should his first mods be keeping in mind he doesn't want to void his warranty???
First - Congratulations! They're great cars!!!

The best thing to do is find a mod friendly dealer/service manager. Ask him if a certain mod will void a part of the warranty. If a mod affects the warranty, it should only affect a part of the car or system.

i.e. There is a TSB about excessively oiled K&N (type) air filters. The oil can foul the MAF sensor. If they (subjective) determine the filter has too much oil, the repair is not covered under warranty. This particular problem can also affect the operation of the automatic trans, late shifting, soft shifts. So, this particular trans repair may not be covered. This obviously wouldn't void your A/C from being repaired under warranty.

MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT, US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©) . For best results, consider working with performance-oriented dealerships with a proven history of working with customers. If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or http://www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or http://www.ftc.gov
Old 05-21-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I recommend a Blackwing and a Catback system as the first two mods that will make the most difference. Then if he has to take it in to the dealer for warranty work, you just swap out the Blackwing for your stock air box. They won't void a warranty for a catback system.
I do agree a convertor on an auto is the best bang for buck mod, but I would highly recommend a trans cooler with a convertor swap, otherwise if the tranny over heats you definitely will have a hard time getting the dealer to cover that under warranty.

Dean
Old 05-22-2004, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

you can change the rear axle ratio. Easily hidden from the dealer.

Quick Reply: Brand New 2004 C5 - Help my Friend!