Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

heads cam package or prochagred

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heads cam package or prochagred

which way you will go ... heads and cam package or prochagred ?and why ?
Old 07-02-2004, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by indy500
both have their strength and weakness, but H/C probably cheaper and can add 100rwhp. But higher compression needs tuning and timing and 93octane gas etc. SC has loads of torque and probably 100+rwhp and can run lower octane but belts slip and hp decreases in the summer heat, bearings wear-out etc.....good news is both are a real kick and burn-up tires.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

i'll do it both .......... to kill my lovly enemy .. Z06
Old 07-04-2004, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ProCharger all the way!. Give ECS or A&A a call and ask about their SIC ATI kits.. Mine is being installed as we speak.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 07-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mdhmi
ProCharger all the way!. Give ECS or A&A a call and ask about their SIC ATI kits.. Mine is being installed as we speak.
Cheers,
Mark
No chance... Go with H/C! A guy had a procharger on the dyno at ESP after mine and he was getting max 385RWHP/365tq... I am getting 400rwhp/385tq with home ported LS6 heads, 222/224 cam and other mods.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO I would build a motor for a boosted application or at the very least put on some truck heads to lower the compression on the stock shortblock. Maybe I'm just to conservative about that. Heads and cam are a good route to take if you don't want to build for boost. My current setup is with a fairly mild cam and it made the numbers in my sig.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd say both. inspector12 just had some very good results with his setup. his was a vortec kit.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by c5blkvette
No chance... Go with H/C! A guy had a procharger on the dyno at ESP after mine and he was getting max 385RWHP/365tq... I am getting 400rwhp/385tq with home ported LS6 heads, 222/224 cam and other mods.
Obviously something was wrong with the guy's setup
I ran a H/C setup and liked it.On the Vette I'm doing a Procharger and fully expect to hit 480-500rwhp on the stock longblock while keeping the stock drivability.The problem with forced induction is that you start to get greedy.Within time you find yourself in need of a new shortblock.I'm already planning out a new forged motor
Old 07-08-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

And you know w/ LS1s unless you tweek that CR a bit, they arent going to like anything high on the boost (of course if you build a motor, than that theroy's shot to hell).

My vote's for the procharger. Only cause blower whine is coo
Old 07-09-2004, 03:00 AM
On The Tree

my goal is 800hp, so i go'n to do it step by step ,

full bolt one - procharge 7 psi (( do it first cause my c5 just run 20,000 mile )) -than go for heads and cam with forged bottom end . 12 psi

i think it kick assssssssss street car with this mod.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

Here is my brief thoughts.

H/C can add some great power and will be very reliable. You need to make sure that all components work together or the best results may not be reached. the plus is you can get some of that cam lope at idle that I personally Love.

S/C will add great power also and can be relaible but you are adding additional components under the hood that may break and leave you on the side of the road. One plus for the S/C is that pulleys can easily be swapped for some extra power or a small shot of juice can be added to both applications if desired.

So my theory has been stay N/A because there is less components to break. I am actually looking at an S/C set up now, so I may go against my own theory of brakeage .

Any route you take with the LS1 as long you do the work properly will yield great results be it N/A, S/C or just adding Juice. Good luck
Old 07-09-2004, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ROJO99
Here is my brief thoughts.

H/C can add some great power and will be very reliable. You need to make sure that all components work together or the best results may not be reached. the plus is you can get some of that cam lope at idle that I personally Love.

S/C will add great power also and can be relaible but you are adding additional components under the hood that may break and leave you on the side of the road. One plus for the S/C is that pulleys can easily be swapped for some extra power or a small shot of juice can be added to both applications if desired.

So my theory has been stay N/A because there is less components to break. I am actually looking at an S/C set up now, so I may go against my own theory of brakeage .

Any route you take with the LS1 as long you do the work properly will yield great results be it N/A, S/C or just adding Juice. Good luck

FI cars are the fastest cars ithat you ever seen ...

boosssssssssssssssssst it and enjoy the power
Old 07-09-2004, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by indy500
i asked a H/C vs SC question on another forum, just a few responses. But i was following SC section and noticed not to many of them listed their 1/8th or 1/4 track times, commonly SC cars had more HP and lots more TQ...so I asked if H/C cars were faster and surprisingly most of the answers were yes!

Last edited by C5 CU; 07-12-2004 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 CU
i asked a H/C vs SC question on another forum, just a few responses. But i was following SC section and noticed not to amy of them listed their 1/8th or 1/4 track times, commonly SC cars had more HP but lots more TQ...so I asked if H/C cars were faster and surprisingly most of the answers were yes!
You'd actually find that most FI cars do not race compared to H/C cars.The FI cars I have built to race have kicked *** at the track compared to H/C cars I've done.I'd say 90% of Procharged cars I do will never hit the track.

Quick Reply: heads cam package or prochagred