Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GoodRidge Brake Hose Failure Caused Accident

Well I ordered the brake hoses February 25th 2017 From Amazon:

Goodridge G-Stop 12290 Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines Cadillac XLR 2004-09

Sold by: MotorSport Supply

Installed the lines and right off the bat one was messed up and wouldn't thread due to bad threading. Company had me take pictures claiming they would replace. Never did, would not respond to further emails after. Friday, March 30th 2018, I went to stop and my pedal went to the floor while I was going 10mph and I went under a 2016 F150. When I got the car home, took the wheel off and the hose itself ruptured, causing me to lose pressure and fluid. Luckily the damage isn't too bad just fender, headlight and some paint but still bad since this is a direct result of a brake hose failing. I will post pics of the hose when I get home today. I ordered PowerStop brake hoses to replace all 4 brake hoses.

Last edited by chuck nasty; 04-07-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hose wasn’t right from the start an you used it any way? Why?
Old 04-06-2018, 05:02 PM
Teching In

No the hose that was messed up could not be used. It was one of the rear ones. This was a front hose that failed.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

No install pics showing how it was mounted/orientated... You are wide open to a thrashing.

Looks like it wasn't mounting correct and kinked then failed. But thats just my non professional opinion.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Yea,, That pic looks like a twist fail. If you torque wrong its possible to rupture the internal line, and then the sheath rotates and sheds. (Not saying you did it it might have been a returned part. ) I have seen guys do it when they mount the banjo end first then thread the standard end on. Should always tighten the AN end first and while tightening make sure the banjo is properly oriented, then put the banjo bolt and washers in.

FWIW I thought Powerstop got their components from Goodrich
Old 04-07-2018, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Well I Already took it off the car. I've installed at least 9 sets of these to date over the last 12 years with this being my only failure. Yes I installed the end on the solid line first then the caliper with it oriented correctly. I suspect this was an old or returned part due to the packaging being aged at the time but disregarded it. The lines looked fine and they functioned great for over a year. I daily drive this car and put about 15k miles on it after installation. When I get the car back I'll gladly post pics of each line installed. This post is for situational awareness as the seller on Amazon has 437 reviews with a 5 star rating.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck nasty
Well I ordered the brake hoses February 25th 2017 From Amazon:

Goodridge G-Stop 12290 Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines Cadillac XLR 2004-09

Sold by: MotorSport Supply

Installed the lines and right off the bat one was messed up and wouldn't thread due to bad threading. Company had me take pictures claiming they would replace. Never did, would not respond to further emails after. Friday, March 30th 2018, I went to stop and my pedal went to the floor while I was going 10mph and I went under a 2016 F150. When I got the car home, took the wheel off and the hose itself ruptured, causing me to lose pressure and fluid. Luckily the damage isn't too bad just fender, headlight and some paint but still bad since this is a direct result of a brake hose failing. I will post pics of the hose when I get home today. I ordered PowerStop brake hoses to replace all 4 brake hoses.
Hate to say it but wait. From point one, line wasn't right, and you emailed company. Yet you STILL installed, bled the brakes, found them satisfactory enough to test drive on, and started using the car, only to find a failure, AFTER finding issue with the line on initial install, but blame the company? Come on man. Common sense says if there's an issue with something like that, all progress stops until said issue is rectified. Not "let's drive it and see what happens."
Old 04-11-2018, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
Hate to say it but wait. From point one, line wasn't right, and you emailed company. Yet you STILL installed, bled the brakes, found them satisfactory enough to test drive on, and started using the car, only to find a failure, AFTER finding issue with the line on initial install, but blame the company? Come on man. Common sense says if there's an issue with something like that, all progress stops until said issue is rectified. Not "let's drive it and see what happens."
OP Said front hose failed, rear hoses were the ones he had the issue with.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998 t/a
OP Said front hose failed, rear hoses were the ones he had the issue with.
My apologies. I totally missed that.