Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Need help fast

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help fast

How do you change the starter out on the corvette? I have been having a few problems, first i thought the battery was bad then i replaced the alternator and now it still wont start, so my next option is replacing the starter, any help would be great this is how i feel about the car right now
Old 10-21-2004, 05:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does it make any noise when you turn the key? Do the light's dim? I doubt it is the starter.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

I've only been under mine 5 times or so. If it's anything like my SS was, you just unbolt the two mounting bolts and disconnect the 3 wires on the starter cylinoid. Hook everything back up on the new one and away you go. There may be a problem with the exhaust being in the way. So, you might have to disconnect the exhaust from the manifolds (3 bolts each side). If you do that though, I'd recommend getting new gaskets for when you bolt everything back up. Best thing you can do is get under there and take a look at and see if it's something you feel comfortable doing.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

I had to pull mine when I did the Headers. Like SS said, there are two bolts holding it in. If I remember correctly, I pulled it first before dropping the exhaust, but I may be wrong. Either way, its not hard at all. No special tools required.

Mike
Old 10-21-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could ground the starter to see if it turns... if so its not the starter....
Old 10-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Assassin
you could ground the starter to see if it turns... if so its not the starter....
Well i got under the car last night and could not even touch the starter the headers i have are 178 and they are in the way, i am going to have to take them off in order to get to the starter, and after i changed the alternator and recharged the battery it does make a clicking sound, and the lights dont go dim, so the next thing i know to check would be the starter, how can you ground it to see if it turns?
Old 10-25-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000Corvette
first i thought the battery was bad then i replaced the alternator and now it still wont start,
I am still not sure your battery isn't the culprit here. These cars have a history of crappy batteries. Have you jumped the car? Just because you charged it doesn't mean the battery is holding the charge.
Anyway, don't go rippin' apart your car just yet. The answer may be in the codes. Have you checked the codes yet?

http://www.corvetteforum.com/techtip...PC%20codes.doc

That is a link on how to check codes and what they mean. Give it a try and good luck.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FLYNLO
I am still not sure your battery isn't the culprit here. These cars have a history of crappy batteries. Have you jumped the car? Just because you charged it doesn't mean the battery is holding the charge.
Anyway, don't go rippin' apart your car just yet. The answer may be in the codes. Have you checked the codes yet?

http://www.corvetteforum.com/techtip...PC%20codes.doc

That is a link on how to check codes and what they mean. Give it a try and good luck.
I have pulled the codes, i will see what they mean tonight, thanks
also the battery is brand new and i had it checked and it is holding the charge and i took the battery out of my ss and it did the same thing

Quick Reply: Need help fast