Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Anyone else think GM dropped the ball on the new Z06 styling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else think GM dropped the ball on the new Z06 styling?

I really believe GM dropped the ball on the C6 and the styling on the Z06, as they should of at least done something creative to distinguish this true Supercar, by at least putting on a raised more aggressive hood with the classic 427 emblems on it, I mean look wha FORD has done with the mustang (will sell MILLIONS) and the FORD Racecar GT 40 (or whatever its called). I say GM Frucked up and should of done something to set off the looks of the new Z06, such as a retro stinger hood from the mid 60 with the classic 427 cid emblems. I mean as it sits, your average person who sees the new Z on the street will just think its another regular VETTE , when in reality, this BAD BOY is a TRUE INERNATIONAL SUPERCAR, but i think the styling was a cop out, especially when compared to the new 06 VIPER COUPE (know that is TUFF AND BAD AZZ) and when compared to what FORD has done with the retro scene, etc!!! (putting on flame suit as i have to admit i think the styling on the VIPER HARDTOP 06, blows the doors off the 06 Z06!!!) THat being said, i am sure i will buy a 08 Z06 model in 2009, when the car sells for $10K less than the guy who bought it for brand new, when all kinks are worked out and when the HP is bumped up by GM to 550 or so, for marketing and sales, etc, etc. (and maybe even some stying changes are made) HOWEVER, i think GM could of thought a little bit more out of the box with this TRUE SUPERCAR and could of made it look like the bad azz **** that it is (and not just look like another corvette on the road) to the non discerning public, etc.!!! :bang
Old 02-15-2005, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly love the new styling of the car, i can see where your coming from with enhancing the aggressive factor, but i like it alot, its civilized and at the same time still very aggressive, i think the rear cooling ducts could have been made a little bigger/better, but other than that the car is beautiful, just my .02
Old 02-15-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

They could of done somthing a little extra w/the styling, but really the parts inside make up that animal
Old 02-15-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

the Mustang's look is just for thet reason, to sell millions. That and to distract you from the fact they are slow as ****, and even heavier than they are slow!
The GT was designed to look it's heritage (same as the Mustang)
I think GM hit the nail right on the head with the subtle rear flares for the monster tires, and teh Maranello-esque hoodscoop. I couldn't be happier with the look! It does it talking on the road!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:41 AM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

I'm very supprised there were no 427 badges on the car. If they made a point to have the engine approx 427ci why not show it off... instead they have a nice 7.0 under the hood on the plastic engine cover... whop-te-do
Old 02-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Livin La Vida Goat

I like everything except the side vents!

They look like they were purchase at Pep Boys and installed with double sided tape.

I have only seen the car in photos but I liked the C5-Z06 side vents alot better.

Overall I think the car looks pretty sick!
Old 02-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

I absolutely love the car. I saw it at the Chicago Auto Show this last weekend and let me tell you that the Z06 was my second favorite car after my "dream car" the Ferrari F430. I sat in the regular C6 and really liked it. I just may forgo doing anything else to my car, particularly the blower to save up for a Z06.

Anyway, I do agree that it would be cool to be more aggressive, and have some 427 badges, but I think they may want the more Exotic Supercar look and not the musclecar look. One can always customize the look of the car.

I also hope that project Blue Devil comes out and then perhaps they will have an even more aggressive styling. I hope I hope.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Formerly MagRedC5

IMHO, the PICs I've seen of the C6 Z06 is an improvement over the C6 Coupe. BTW, IMO GM threw an interception with the C6 Coupe in regard to exterior styling; fugly headlights, skimpy rear, fat steering wheel, square roof...
Old 02-18-2005, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

i wish they would do a 67 vette over,buy hell i love the car
Old 02-20-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

The hood could use a little attention but they made up for it with the engine. I hate to say anything negative about it because it is one bad car.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MTI 427 C5 Roadster
I really believe GM dropped the ball on the C6 and the styling on the Z06, as they should of at least done something creative to distinguish this true Supercar, by at least putting on a raised more aggressive hood with the classic 427 emblems on it, I mean look wha FORD has done with the mustang (will sell MILLIONS) and the FORD Racecar GT 40 (or whatever its called). I say GM Frucked up and should of done something to set off the looks of the new Z06, such as a retro stinger hood from the mid 60 with the classic 427 cid emblems. I mean as it sits, your average person who sees the new Z on the street will just think its another regular VETTE , when in reality, this BAD BOY is a TRUE INERNATIONAL SUPERCAR, but i think the styling was a cop out, especially when compared to the new 06 VIPER COUPE (know that is TUFF AND BAD AZZ) and when compared to what FORD has done with the retro scene, etc!!! (putting on flame suit as i have to admit i think the styling on the VIPER HARDTOP 06, blows the doors off the 06 Z06!!!) THat being said, i am sure i will buy a 08 Z06 model in 2009, when the car sells for $10K less than the guy who bought it for brand new, when all kinks are worked out and when the HP is bumped up by GM to 550 or so, for marketing and sales, etc, etc. (and maybe even some stying changes are made) HOWEVER, i think GM could of thought a little bit more out of the box with this TRUE SUPERCAR and could of made it look like the bad azz **** that it is (and not just look like another corvette on the road) to the non discerning public, etc.!!! :bang
Sorry Jim, I think it looks great, especially the flared rear fenders. We always ask for more from GM , but what about the cost? If they stray too far on a low production car we would then be unhappy about the price. But I guess it's fun to speculate on what could be.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Formerly MagRedC5

Originally Posted by gojo
Sorry Jim, I think it looks great, especially the flared rear fenders. We always ask for more from GM , but what about the cost? If they stray too far on a low production car we would then be unhappy about the price. But I guess it's fun to speculate on what could be.
I agree, the flared rear fenders, along with the vented hood, similar to the Camaro SS, are welcomed revisions from the C6 to the C6 Z06. However, I don't think the cost would be much different if GM had designed fixed headlights similar to the C5R. do you?
Old 02-20-2005, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

I hated the C5 when it first came out, and now I like it. I don't really care for the C6 Z06 look right now, but I'll give it some time and see if my opinion changes. Either way, the looks are functional, and I gotta love that.

I like the clown shoe, but don't like the new Viper...I like curves!
Old 02-20-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I think GM could've done better w/ it. Being the C6 Z was supposed to reflect more of a "road going C6-R" on top of its heritage, I think they could've done some better styling cues. Like a heat extractor hood like the C6-R vs the retarded looking hood scoop thats places too low, IMO. Pull the side scoops off, and do maybe a staggered louver design on the rocker panel in about the same location as the C5s brake duct vents. I think GM needs to do a 10th year anniversary C5-R edition Z06 in which it doesnt have any graphics, but comes w/ maybe some Compuware gear, on top of a yellow/black paint scheme mirroring the C6-Rs. But thats just my .02
Old 02-21-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
I think GM could've done better w/ it. Being the C6 Z was supposed to reflect more of a "road going C6-R" on top of its heritage, I think they could've done some better styling cues. Like a heat extractor hood like the C6-R vs the retarded looking hood scoop thats places too low, IMO. Pull the side scoops off, and do maybe a staggered louver design on the rocker panel in about the same location as the C5s brake duct vents. I think GM needs to do a 10th year anniversary C5-R edition Z06 in which it doesnt have any graphics, but comes w/ maybe some Compuware gear, on top of a yellow/black paint scheme mirroring the C6-Rs. But thats just my .02

I AGREE 1000%!! I prefer the AMERICAN MUSCLECAR LOOK as oppossed to the softer EUROPEAN look the new Z06 Supercar has undertaken, but to each his own different strokes for different folks!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 12:36 AM
Teching In

so its not as showey as other car compaines, but to me the Corvette has always been the simple "handing the competion its ***" car. regardless of what the opinions are on styling, GM is doing an Amazing job by making an horsepower per dollar street race car.

Alright, so the price hasn't been official but I know it will be cheaper then the Dodge Viper. It would just make sense that way.... I mean the sticker is what on an 05 SRT10? $85,295 (from Dodges site) No way it will be near there. Easy 10K... maybe 15K off of that!

Back to styling: The style is yes basic but its overall a budget race car. Badges, a bigger hood, and all the exoctic who-ha is pointless since price would be an issue. It was born into a muscle car world and it should stay that way.

Corvettes are always compared to Porshe 911's, Ferrari's, Lambos, Vipers, Japanesse Super Cars, etc. The Corvette has set the standard for many years! And boy have they just raised the bar! Its an amazing machine that I can't wait to test drive!
Old 02-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cary
BTW, IMO GM threw an interception with the C6 Coupe in regard to exterior styling; fugly headlights, skimpy rear, fat steering wheel, square roof...

sounds like a C5 owner
Old 02-22-2005, 03:56 PM
10 Second Club

I can honestly say I think the new Z06 is ugly to me, but then again it may grow on me. I have seen the picture of the first supposed blue Z that was produced and I hated it. That is why I'm giving my wife my 99 Z and buying a used 02-04 Z06.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Many here like myself are probably watching the Daytona 500 right now as i type this. Did you notice the black accent stinger type painted hood (black on the yellow hood) on the C6 pace car! This type of change along with a slightly raised hood with some 427 badging on it (even a little retro never helps when it made chevy musclecars legendary) are the exact type of changes I would prefered GM to have done, to distinguish this SUPERCAR from a regular C6 Coupe (not that the C6 coupe is not a great car), but the performance betweeen the cars is night and day and visually they are barely distinguishable from the most important view of them all (the side view of the car).

Heck, I would of even taken a functional stock rear racing wing (which if designed right would have achieved better top mph-i.e.-200 mph) that was on the C6 pace car at the Daytona 500 vs. what GM did with the body design of the new 06 Z06! The wing would not be my first choice but i would take it over what they did (at least it would look like the true factory supercar street legal race car that is (just like the C5 Z06 also is, but with 100 less ponies!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what aftermarket personalization is for... the corvette is supposed to be an executive car, not a fancy retro car like the gt40 or a boy racer like the mustang. simplicity is the name of the game. but you guys all know that of course, not being ricers an' all

Quick Reply: Anyone else think GM dropped the ball on the new Z06 styling?