Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Which corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

01 and above get LS6 intake clutch block...
Old 05-17-2005, 10:02 AM
AOC
TECH Regular

I'd go with Z06, but I'm bit biased.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Teching In

I bought a Z06 '02 and I am now modding it with heads and cam for under $800 total and doing the labor myself. I wouldn't get anything but a Z06 if I were you. The Z06 has the gears and the better performance from the get go. I actually sold my LS6 heads for more than I got my hardly used newer heads. My friend Frank has modded his '98 with heads and cam for more money than I spent and now I still will have a better faster car.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:25 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CySevans
That is where your logic is flawed. You can find '01s in the $20's, also. I said all else being equal, and you compare 97-00 to '01. LOL!

But, that's okay. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. But, look at it another way. I guarantee my stock Z06 will hold its value better than a modified C5 Coupe. You never get your mod money back. My Trans Am is a good example. I had over 40K into it between car and mods, and I got 16K out of it (barely over the value of a stock Trans Am at the time).
The reason I am comparing the different years is because you can get a used, older C5 for a lot cheaper and make it a lot faster. That's the better value (when modifying) - and that was the point of the thread I thought.

I know 100% you don't get back what you put out in mods, but I don't modify my cars to make money, I modify my cars to satisfy myself. I could care less about resale honestly, but that's me. If I want it, I buy it and I don't worry who else is going to want it after I pound the **** out of it

Originally Posted by CarsRFun
01 and above get LS6 intake clutch block...
Read my reply on the first page. You're going to need to replace the clutch anyway. As far as the block, the LS1 block is the one to have on high HP/cube applications.

Last edited by DMNSPD; 05-17-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:39 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by white89_350
I bought a Z06 '02 and I am now modding it with heads and cam for under $800 total and doing the labor myself. I wouldn't get anything but a Z06 if I were you. The Z06 has the gears and the better performance from the get go. I actually sold my LS6 heads for more than I got my hardly used newer heads. My friend Frank has modded his '98 with heads and cam for more money than I spent and now I still will have a better faster car.
Ok... so say someone gets a 99 for like 18k. Say they spend like 5 grand for the bolt ons (which you'd have to buy even with the Z06), and heads and a cam... So for 23K you've got a 450rwhp car.

That's just how I look at it. It might not be right to everyone, but it's better if you're on a budget.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Ok... so say someone gets a 99 for like 18k. Say they spend like 5 grand for the bolt ons (which you'd have to buy even with the Z06), and heads and a cam... So for 23K you've got a 450rwhp car.

That's just how I look at it. It might not be right to everyone, but it's better if you're on a budget.
you are correct it is better if you are on a budget. however, i cant see myself paying $500/month on a car with 80k miles on it with worn carpet, worn cracked leather seats and smelling like somebody else. i look at the overall picture. i look at what i can get for a my monthly payment and if you ask me i rather get a clean low mileage car that is put together the right way from the factory (not to mention perhaps with factory warranty remaining) and be one of the very few owners of gm's best performance vehicle. besides, you dont know what can happen tomorrow ( lose your job, etc..) you can rest assured that no matter where u go you will always get more money for your z06 than a c5 with mods. (unless we are talking a seriously modded one). besides, if you owned a camaro, trans am, etc..and are fourtunate enough to own chevy's best vehicle, why not do it? here where i live c5s are very common, but when u arrive in a z06 ... trust me everything changes and everyone wants a piece of it. regardless of it being slower than a modded c5, it draws attention like no other car. funny thing is that i have never heard any rice burner say " ive taken out vettes" but if that vette says z06 405hp on the fender and they happen to run into it, you will defenetely hear " my car smokes z06s" it is like you are in a class of your own and they know it. i know what i am saying might be off topic, but it is just to show you that it is exclusive to own a z06... unlike a c5
Old 05-17-2005, 03:31 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I could care less about exclusivity. Really, it's more of a speed thing for me, not a status symbol.

Are you honestly convinced that a used car is going to be delapidated? Most Corvette guys aren't as neglecting as many other car owners either, so it's still an ok bet for a used car. Besides, I simply couldn't afford a brand new car, and I'm sure most of the people on this board are in the same situation. If you want to bring resale value into it, your Z06 is still going to drop in value relative to the price you originally paid. If you're paying $500/mo for a used Corvette (I'm talking about early C5's) then you deserve to pay that much because you're too stupid to do research and be a smart buyer.

This topic was about the best performance bargain - not resale value, not about junk used cars, and certainly not about "look at me in my Corvette".
Old 05-17-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

I could care less about exclusivity. Really, it's more of a speed thing for me, not a status symbol.
You mean it's more of a dragstrip thing to you, right? These are not dragsters. Adding HP does not equate to adding "performance".

Not everyone can drive a factory-built race car. It is an exclusive car. It is a status symbol. It's also to date the fastest production Corvette ever built (though that is about to change with the C6 Z06 - they've built some, but they are not in production yet). You are clearly not the target market. If you don't care about road coarses or AutoX, then why would you even consider a Vette in the first place? I can spend less than 10K on a used Formula, drop $15K in mods, and blow your fictitious C5 clean off the drag strip.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

I see this turning into a Z06 vs. C5 thread. What's important is that the threadstarter wants to purchase a Z06. There is a LOT I want to say here about what I feel about the topic, but I'm not going to. The thread is, in my oppinion, done.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with the 02 Z06 and have NO regrets.

Bruce
Old 05-17-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SJTrance
I see this turning into a Z06 vs. C5 thread. What's important is that the threadstarter wants to purchase a Z06. There is a LOT I want to say here about what I feel about the topic, but I'm not going to. The thread is, in my oppinion, done.
It was never meant to be that. I really wish you would express your opinion seeing as you are in the modified C5 camp (very nice car, BTW).
Old 05-17-2005, 07:19 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by CySevans
It was never meant to be that. I really wish you would express your opinion seeing as you are in the modified C5 camp (very nice car, BTW).
I agree with him... this can be a good, clean debate

About why I'd want a Corvette... Simple. I am tired of the 4th gen styling (especially the interior) after the two I've had. I was the first person to have a LS1 car around my area that was actually into modifying and pounding the **** out of it. Now, they are popping up all the time.

The C5 offers a "safer" platform for the situations I get into on the street, as well as distinctive styling that sets it apart from everyone else around. If I wanted a drag car, I'd be looking for an automatic hardtop Z28 - but I'm not able to have a street car and a dedicated track car yet. I want a great all-around street car that can do everything well, and most importantly rip **** up when it needs to I don't need a Z06 to do that.

Many of you obviously have different reasons for why you'd want one. I'm not one of those people who have always wanted a Corvette or anything. If there was a 5th gen Camaro, I'd much rather have that. But there isn't a 5th gen Camaro and the C5 fits the bill for what I want in a car at the moment. I've tried the GTO and I've tried the 03/04 Cobra. I didn't really care for either much. So what other choice do I have? So I get a C5 for under 20K, put 5K into it and I have what I want and it will stand out from the rest until Chevrolet brings me a new Camaro. All I want is mid 11's @ over 120mph. Is that so much to ask for in a street car?

What is my point of justifying my opinion here? Remember, if I could get a Z06 AND be able to modify it, I would buy one, but I can't afford that at this time in my life. So I give an explained opinion for those who are in my situation and are wondering what to do. C5 and mod it, or get a Z06. The question was asked, my very detailed opinion has been said. I wish everyone had an open mind rather that being Z06 elitists'.

I was just thinking, I'm probably jinxing myself. I'll end up with a Z06 and then you all can bring this thread back up Who knows. It helps having a best friend who has a dealership. I'll go to Manhiem auction for the exotic sale and pick something up - maybe I'll get a good deal on a Z06 after all

Last edited by DMNSPD; 05-17-2005 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Well the answer is that there is no right answer. Ultimately the choice will be up to you. I personally would prefer the z06. I love the FRC body, while you might be able to make the coupe + $10k faster, I would still rather have the z06 just because of the FRC style. It's certainly not for everybody though. That's why they make so few z06's in comparison. The z06 is made for the few true musclecar fanatics still out here, such as you will find on this site. It's a track-ready machine out of the box. Despite only having 360rwhp (02's+) it can whoop up on cars with significantly more horsepower (read: Viper) on the coarse because of it's power to weight ratio, and it's awesome suspension. Yes, with $10k you could probably make the coupe faster, but you are looking at the short term. Say you buy a coupe and mod it. You will have a faster car temporarily, but if you get the Z06 and save up for mods, then you will have a much better platform to start with. Like I said before, it's a matter of personal preference and there isn't really a right answer, just an opinion.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:08 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by FairwayGreenVette
Well the answer is that there is no right answer. Ultimately the choice will be up to you. I personally would prefer the z06. I love the FRC body, while you might be able to make the coupe + $10k faster, I would still rather have the z06 just because of the FRC style. It's certainly not for everybody though. That's why they make so few z06's in comparison. The z06 is made for the few true musclecar fanatics still out here, such as you will find on this site. It's a track-ready machine out of the box. Despite only having 360rwhp (02's+) it can whoop up on cars with significantly more horsepower (read: Viper) on the coarse because of it's power to weight ratio, and it's awesome suspension. Yes, with $10k you could probably make the coupe faster, but you are looking at the short term. Say you buy a coupe and mod it. You will have a faster car temporarily, but if you get the Z06 and save up for mods, then you will have a much better platform to start with. Like I said before, it's a matter of personal preference and there isn't really a right answer, just an opinion.
You are correct on several levels. The FRC vs hatchback is very debatable because it's simply a matter of opinion of which looks best. I like them both, but I think I personally prefer the hatch because it's sleeker. Many people though wouldn't even consider anything but the FRC.

I still don't understand what is the rationale behind saying the Z06 will be faster. It's just a smidgen lighter and has different gearing in the tranny. That's it. The engine can't be modified any better than the engine in the base C5. A base C5 owner can very easily build their transmission to Z06 specs too. What am I missing here?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had several C5's... Coupes, Frc, and Z06. I prefer the FRC and Z06 due to the bodystyle. It is just my personal preference. I like the way coupes look, but I just prefer the FRC style. Not saying one is better than the other.. well.. the coupe has better aerodynamics at higher speeds...
Old 05-18-2005, 10:28 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 98UltraZ
well.. the coupe has better aerodynamics at higher speeds...
Ah yes, I forgot about that. Yet another fact to throw into the fire.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SJTrance
It appears as though it was just getting started. Come on! Join the debate!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you honestly convinced that a used car is going to be delapidated? Most Corvette guys aren't as neglecting as many other car owners either, so it's still an ok bet for a used car. Besides, I simply couldn't afford a brand new car, and I'm sure most of the people on this board are in the same situation. If you want to bring resale value into it, your Z06 is still going to drop in value relative to the price you originally paid. If you're paying $500/mo for a used Corvette (I'm talking about early C5's) then you deserve to pay that much because you're too stupid to do research and be a smart buyer.

This topic was about the best performance bargain - not resale value, not about junk used cars, and certainly not about "look at me in my Corvette".
why not both, exclusivity and speed ?? why buy a c5 and then start modding to make it comparable to the z06? (breaklines, brakes, suspension..blah blah blah).. i guess as you grow older you start to appreciate the finer things in life. when i was 22 i owned my first ls1 (99ss), but as i grew older i started reading and reading and realizing what to look for in a car. i saw no other option but the z06. i am now 25 and own a z06. would i sell it ? not right now since i find myself having alot of fun in it. perhaps when i am in my 30s i would be interested in something else, but lets be realistic about it all.
it is as if had to choose between a viper or a porsche gt2. yes, the viper has better looks, its a beast and i think it is more of what u describe you look for in a vehicle, but the porsche is just class...fine piece of art that can still haul *** and take you to work with full ac, nice radio (unlike viper) and you dont have to compromise alot to still be fast. that in my opinion is how i see a z06 from the get go. it is meant to rival super cars and that is what makes it exclusive. that is what makes it what it is; a Z06
Old 05-18-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting thread. Dmnspd makes many of the points I would have made myself. As far as the Z06 vs. C5 debate I think most of the key points were hit here. If you are not a modder get a Z06. If you prefer an FRC bodystyle get one. If you are a modder than I would go with the C5.

One of my friends has an '03 Z06. Great car. Do I wish I had one instead of my coupe? Nope. Not at all. I don't have a strong preference one way or another on the styling. In a straightline my car feels much stronger. Braking seems to be a wash. Handling my car felt tighter (his car is lowered as well). I'm not trying to bag on the Z06 I'm just trying to show that it is certainly possible to make a C5 perform better for less of an investment.

For another budget example, a different club member picked up a used '99 Z51 coupe with higher miles (70k) for around $16.5k. He's put on a stronger clutch (necessary with any big mods on a C5, Z06 or not), rebuilt tranny, shocks, and FLP headers. He just bought an A&A supercharger kit for it and will likely be installing an FMS blower cam with the necessary valvetrain upgrades. So his total investment will probably end up being in the $26k range for a car that will likely have 520+rwhp.

As for the high mileage and high payment statement, have you looked much at the C5 market? Most used C5's are in great shape with LOW miles. Most of these cars just aren't used much. Exclusivity wise I've never seen any wide variation in reactions to C5's. Because my car has aftermarket Z06 rims I've had to tell people that its not one (yeah it makes my head hurt too). The average Joe around here just sees a Vette.

The Z06 is a great car. The regular C5 is a great car. Figure out which one fits what YOU want and get it.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Teching In

My resale value is way better than yours. The reason I got a Z06 is because I know I can get my money back for it if I have to sell. I don't think you should buy a vette if your on a budget. Stick to the fbody if your on a budget. I am getting an extra 95hp with only $1,000 spent total and I still have a faster car than a coupe. I paid $32,500 and spent $1000.00 on 95 horses of mods so far well mayby I still need the LTs before I get all the power the heads, cam , and tuning will bring me. My buddy bought a coupe and modded it the same as me and now I will be faster than him and he don't like it.

Quick Reply: Which corvette?