Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Which corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 06:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a 1999 C5 and it was a great car..(a4) Ran high 12's with light bolt ons.

Drove a Z06 and it was all over...

Bought one..

That said...if you're looking to mod either car and looking for a hell of a deal?

I'd say buy a 1999 coupe.....six speed....with the Z51 suspension if you can...

Then throw an intercooled magnuson supercharger on the car for 8 grand installed with painted hood at the Vette doctors (xmas special last year anyway)

Thats what I would probably suggest....

An easy reliable 500hp C5 that has a magnuson supercharger full drivetrain warranty for an extra 200 dollars...

Then with all the guys going to the C6? I'd probably hunt down a cool set of USED light 18" rims and NON run flat tires for a few bucks...

I don't think I'd bother with headers.....maybe the blower cam and a clutch.

HInd signts 20/20 ...

I dig my car as it is...but if your asking what I might do next time around?

Thats what I'd probably do...

Actually the best thing to do...is buy one thats been done already..

Thats an even better idea...

Check out www.corvetteforum.com used car section....

Then track the owners history on usuage of the car..

Thats an even better way to go.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you like naturally aspirated high performance...

Heres one already done for 25 grand.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...25&forum_id=52
Old 05-21-2005, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a low mileage 2001 with a lingenfelter supercharger package on it for 34g's

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...46&forum_id=52
Old 05-21-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Heres one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW
Old 05-21-2005, 10:04 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CySevans
Honestly, there's a reason behind my decision to go with the Z06. And that's because the wife unit is down on expensive modifications. She watched me dump thousands into the Trans Am to the point that it simply was not drivable (for her, anyway) anymore.
This is the perfect example of why the Z06 is the key choice. I'm sure there are MANY people that fit into this category, or that really don't want to modify beyond maybe exhaust and intake.

Originally Posted by white89_350
How am I unpleasant. I almost think you want the people to get a coupe to make you feel better. Thanks for being rude to me.
Like I said in reply to your pm, the reasoning behind status symbol and such is pretty much a moot point. We're adults and I think we should all be over that whole "I'm better than you". Unless we have something to prove, then the whole prestige thing isn't really much of a viable answer. Like I said, "SPS" can be a difficult thing to deal with I hope you took that as a joke too But anyway, with those comments, you are the type of person I'm refering to as being blinded by the Corvette "fluff". Once you get your heads out of the clouds, then you could appreciated every Corvette and not just a Z06.

Mark my words on this - there will be PLENTY of C6 Z06 owners that will mock and look down on C5 Z06 owners simply because they aren't as high performance and also 20-30k cheaper than their top of the line C6 Z06. I'm sure that won't make you feel too good, especially since it's another Z06 owner.

I'd only want people to get a coupe for the right reasons. Again, we've covered wild modifications vs mild modifications. Mild mods - Z06. Wild mods - base C5. Simple as that.

JBsZ06 - you make some good points.

Last edited by DMNSPD; 05-21-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Wow the intelligence of this thread is amazing...thanks alot guys!! now idk which to get lol....I love the look of the z06 (break vents) and i would feel if i put thos on a c5 i would feel unjust....so idk
Old 05-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Looks like he's getting a Z06. Are you going to get mad at him too DMNSPD because he only wants to be better like a fluff? Only kidding here, but DMNSPD is anti Z06.

And what is the deal with labling me in this thread DMNSPD? Just because my post count is low doesn't mean I am a rookie to car forums or less knowledgable than you. Every time I post you reply with me in quotes, label me as having a small *****, and mentioning others by name and telling them how great they are for agreeing with you. I admit that a coupe is a great car to mod I never said they were not. I just happened to think for the extra money why not get the top of the line now. In my case I don't want to buy another vette unless I win the lottery so of course I want my vette to be the best. If I wanted to not have a cool car I would have bought a 1988 Tempo. Any Z06 people think DMNSPD is flaming us Z06 owners for having small *****. BTW, as I pmed you, if I wanted to stand out with a Z06 as being cooler than others then why am I trying to get others to get a Z06. Seems like I would tell the others to go get a 6 cylinder Mustang so I can really be better than them.

Last edited by white89_350; 05-21-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...50&forum_id=52

Nice c5 six speed coupe for under 20 grand.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:58 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

white89_350 - Did I say anything about you being new to the forums and not knowing anything? No. Was I joking with the "SPS" thing? Yes. Am I flaming Z06 owners? No. Did I give plenty of reasons why the Z06 is great? Yes. Please enlighten me of how I am just bashing the Z06 and Z06 owners...

They both have their pluses and minuses. I kept on you simply because you kept up with the "Z06 is top of the line" thing. You also contradicted yourself here by saying about people see the Z06 and they know it's the best or whatever and also saying that when you see a base C5 you think they should have got a Z06. Yet, in the most recent PM (which I didn't reply to since I figured I could say it here) you say that most people don't even know what a Z06 is. I'm confused as to your reasoning. You now just said it's because you wanted the top of the line Corvette. That's a great reason. I'm sure many people feel that way - nothing wrong with that. Just think about how many people bought a ZR1 when they could have bought a LT1 Vette for half the price and taken the difference in money and killed a ZR1. Just like why buy a SS when you could just get a Z28 - or why buy a T/A when you could get a Formula.

When people keep bringing up "top of the line", "presitge", etc, then that might not be a very good reason to get a particular vehicle. Again, it's all in priority. If you need to have the best of the best, then maybe that's why you should buy a Z06. If you want to save some money to mod the **** out of something to be better than even a modified Z06, then the coupe might just fit your bill. That was the point of the thread.

Anyway, do I care if you have SPS? Nope. The only person that has to live with that would be yourself and whoever you're sleeping with And no, my cars have been paid for by my own limited income.

I'd really hate to see this thread turn into a **** fest between two people. There is a lot of info here that could help many people out. So maybe we should clean up so the mods don't lock it down...

Last edited by DMNSPD; 05-22-2005 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Launching!

99 with active handling and mods there are some low mileage cream puffs out there. 15 grand and your car can really rock if spent right.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I'd really hate to see this thread turn into a **** fest between two people. There is a lot of info here that could help many people out. So maybe we should clean up so the mods don't lock it down...
Didnt this happen between you and someone else in the Z28 vs SS thread. But that one did get locked.
I think there is enough info here to help whoever needs it. Welcome the world of the Corvette. What ever choice you make. Congrats.....

Last edited by LINGENFELTER SS; 05-28-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:18 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by LINGENFELTER SS
Didnt this happen between you and someone else in the Z28 vs SS thread. But that one did get locked.
Which is why I said that It was also the same point I was trying to make that you don't need a SS (Z06 in this case) for certain performance goals. You don't need a SS at all though since it offers nothing over the Z28 except for looks.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:50 AM
AOC
TECH Regular

Damn, just buy what you think is best for you, no need to get into drama about what is better bargain. It is apparent that your mind is set on C5, so go with it.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

I just bought a nice 99 Hardtop,Black,Black interier,less then 36,000 miles for $ 22,500.New tires,new brakes and a new corsa indy catback exhaust with a crossover pipe and all records,receipts,window sticker ,2 owner car. I drove it 400 miles back home,its a great car handles great and has good power,stops on a dime what more could you want for 22.5k ? I went thru the Z06 or not untill I found this car . Now I dont see the real big deal in the Z06.How many of you Z06 owners race you car at the track.They are both nice you just have to get over not having that Z06 on the fender if you buy a NON Z06 and it only took me about one minute . I might do some bolt on mods later on but for now Iam having some fun.Buy what you want not what some one else has.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brianss1
I just bought a nice 99 Hardtop,Black,Black interier,less then 36,000 miles for $ 22,500.New tires,new brakes and a new corsa indy catback exhaust with a crossover pipe and all records,receipts,window sticker ,2 owner car. I drove it 400 miles back home,its a great car handles great and has good power,stops on a dime what more could you want for 22.5k ? I went thru the Z06 or not untill I found this car . Now I dont see the real big deal in the Z06.How many of you Z06 owners race you car at the track.They are both nice you just have to get over not having that Z06 on the fender if you buy a NON Z06 and it only took me about one minute . I might do some bolt on mods later on but for now Iam having some fun.Buy what you want not what some one else has.

Good buy right there. Enjoy your car and have some fun!
Old 05-31-2005, 06:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats on your Corvette purchase! Awesome car. Great buy....

ITs a corvette so enjoy it.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Whichever choice you make, you can't go wrong with a Corvette

Mike

Quick Reply: Which corvette?