Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

To Zo6 or not to?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To Zo6 or not to?

Man look at the price of a 2002 zo6 these days. My car is modded to more power but its not a Vette. I'm having a semi crisis over what to do. I love my car but have always wanted a Vette and now its like they're dangling it right in front of my face. I'm torn over what to do. I need the back seat for the kids but we have a another family car already(my ss is my version of a family car). I can pick up a beater to haul them the 1 mile to school if I have to.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Man look at the price of a 2002 zo6 these days. My car is modded to more power but its not a Vette. I'm having a semi crisis over what to do. I love my car but have always wanted a Vette and now its like they're dangling it right in front of my face. I'm torn over what to do. I need the back seat for the kids but we have a another family car already(my ss is my version of a family car). I can pick up a beater to haul them the 1 mile to school if I have to.
i was in the same shoes u are in exactly 6 weeks ago. i couldnt decide wether i should sell my SS or keep it. i drove the z06 and 30min later it was my new car. i love it for what it is. it is confortable, smooth, handles like no other car i have ever owned. it is a 12sec car with a decent driver. (some have gone high 11s) and yet you still get to have a nice confortable ride for you and your wife. i picked up my 04 z06 at a wholesale price (34k) with only 11k milles on it. there is nothing like it and although my SS was modded and it ran strong, i dont miss it. it sure was more intimidating than my z06, but i somehow find myself enjoying this car alot more. it is more of a " toy" that u cant seem to get enough of. get the z06 and i know for a fact that you wont look back.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am having this problem right now too. However, my prob is that I want a 03-04 Z06, but they are going for about 35k and I can get a brand new C6 1SX Z51 for about 40k GMS.

This would require selling my HIGHLY modified SS though

decisions...
Old 05-17-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
i was in the same shoes u are in exactly 6 weeks ago. i couldnt decide wether i should sell my SS or keep it. i drove the z06 and 30min later it was my new car. i love it for what it is. it is confortable, smooth, handles like no other car i have ever owned. it is a 12sec car with a decent driver. (some have gone high 11s) and yet you still get to have a nice confortable ride for you and your wife. i picked up my 04 z06 at a wholesale price (34k) with only 11k milles on it. there is nothing like it and although my SS was modded and it ran strong, i dont miss it. it sure was more intimidating than my z06, but i somehow find myself enjoying this car alot more. it is more of a " toy" that u cant seem to get enough of. get the z06 and i know for a fact that you wont look back.
Thats how I feel, I test drove an 03 with 4k miles on it and I love it. Also on the test drive I got 2 diff cars with hot girls honking at me
Yes some of our mod'd Camaros are much quicker, but I agree the Z06 is one badass ride and you can't compare them handling wise.

blanco if you can do it, go for it, you will be happy. It is a fine car to have...

If I got one I would do full bolt-ons and be done to keep it reliable and have the warranty.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Banned

have an appt saturday. I guess it all depends on the money. If they give me a good trade value on my car then there is no way I can say no.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

have an appt saturday. I guess it all depends on the money. If they give me a good trade value on my car then there is no way I can say no.
well i can tell you this much.. your ss is a 99 like mine was and it has about the same mods mine did. i think you would be lucky if you get 10k dollars for it. dont be dissapointed and sell it privately if you have to.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Banned

10k Ouch! I know *I can do better than that with a private sale for sure. I've seen a few around here at the dealer for 18-24k so I'm hoping for a better trade. You know how the game goes, they dont have as much into the advertised price of the vette either so its a payment issue as far as I'm concerned. Make my payments what I want and I dont care about the final numbers. We'll see how it goes. I'll post the results. I've been quoted the wholesale price from a dealer of what they would pay for it right now, he said with the mods maybe a 2-3 above that which is still less than I could get for it private sale, but when your at the dealer you just want to get the deal done. If I had patience I'd put mine up for sale and wait until I sell it, then go vette shopping...but that wont work! lol
Old 05-17-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

"Make my payments what I want and I dont care about the final numbers."
thats the wrong answer. that is the biggest mistake you can ever make. they can give you a 300 dollar payment a month for up to 84 months!!! dont ever go into a dealer with that mentality. you will get raped if you say that. they are able to workout whatever payment u like, but all they do is extend your loan with a higher interest rate. i sold my SS for 13k with 59k miles on it. you will always lose no matter what, but just close that margin as much as you can.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Banned

LOL dont panic, I'm looking at 72 month terms only when I say that. I know the money is going to be a close with more of it being on their side. I probably wont get the deal I want but you never know. If I give them room to bounce the numbers and I get my payment and terms we're both happy. I'm looking for more on my car than I'll get is why I'm not worried. If the payment isnt what I want it wont happen, I wont buy thats all. They need to sell more than I need to buy. But like I said you know how it goes. Should be fun anyway, I love tormenting sales people... they can feel a pidgeon neer them but they cant quite get a grab of it... hehehehe
basicaly I let the sales rep do all the haggling with his manager as I'm already asking for them to bend over for me when I present my payments offer... I want the same payments and terms I have now, if they juggle it right they can make it happen.. or not ..the car price is already in the ball park I want to pay and consider it to be a good deal.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 05-17-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'd have known how much fun they are to drive, I'd have had one years ago! I put 7K miles on mine in the 5 months I've owned it. A very different ride than an f-body. Drive one, it'll make the decision easier...
Old 05-17-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

You would be in a MUCH better bargaining position if you walk in with pre-approved financing. That way they won't play the payment game with you. If you have financing in-hand, it all boils down to the purchase price. Do you have a credit union? Who is financing your current vehicle? There are too many ways for them to play with the numbers to make it look like you're getting a good deal.

How much are they asking for it? What options? How good is your credit? How much are you putting down? Credit rating and down payment will largely determine your percentage rate - the higher, the better. They may not even be able to come close if they can't get a finance company to buy the contract under your terms if your credit or down payment isn't high enough. But, you probably already knew that. If you're pre-approved, there's no question how much car you can afford.

Last edited by CySevans; 05-17-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

$1000.00 into a ZO6 for a cam and valvetrain over 380rwhp. Cheap money compared to what you probably already spent. I say go for it.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I sold my 99 SS for a Corvette, this seems to be common...LOL! Anyway, your 375 rwhp may be more than a STOCK Z06 (358 to 362 rwhp), but your car is about 500 lbs heavier and is not geared as low as the Z06 transmission. My SS dynoed 380 rwhp and I got beat by a STOCK Z06, so you aren't faster right now. So you will get a Corvette and a faster car that will out handle almost anything on the road. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Get the Vette and you'll never look back! Trust us!
Old 05-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Banned

car will pro'lly sell before I get there saturday but I've told a couple of friends the SS is up for sale.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

I sold my hawk for one
Old 05-18-2005, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

The best car I have ever owned, Go for it
Old 05-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Banned

Well wife was only kidding when she didnt appear to mind. She was all me =
Next year the 03's will be in range. We bought her car knowing mine would be paid off. It was a deal I made with her to get her out of her shitbox and into something safer. Oh well next year the 03's will be in range and I bought some heads to keep me happy too
Old 05-19-2005, 10:34 PM
11 Second Truck Club

My Z06 is stock and just barely falls short of my modded Formy in 0-100 (straight line), but other than that the Z rules every other aspect and I love it!
Oh yea, anyone wanna buy a Formula with 37k miles?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:38 AM
Teching In

I cant believe that soo many people are in the exact same shoes! I own a 99ws6 and love it, but i recently have hudge itch to buy a 02-04 z06. I have been looking at them and am trying to decide weather i should go FI on my 99 Ws6 or spend $32k and get a z06. I am 23 years old and i am thinking the insurance would kill me, i have no tickets or accidents so i am going to look into it. How much did all your insurance rates increase when you made the transition from an f-body to the Z06???? Who daily drives there vette? I live in southern cali so i would be using it as a daily...and opinions?