Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Getting a Z06 soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a Z06 soon

I currently have a 2002 Trans Am WS.6. Soon, I'm buying a 2002 or 2003 Corvette Z06. I'm just wondering what bolt ons can I do to raise the hp? I'm not familiar with the LS6 at all so I need help. I hear the exhaust on it is titanium and is pritty good to start with. I'm thinking on just changing the mufflers on it and getting a nice set of headers. What do you guys think? Is the intake pritty much set on those? Please, need some help
Old 05-29-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just drove a Z06 today and ... uhh just wow it was fun and I never even buried the gas pedal. If I'm able to get one I'd also want to get the Vararam intake. Maybe you should check out one of those. The headers/mufflers you mentioned plus the intake and !cags would be good.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

The stock exhaust is pretty free-flowing already. There's some people who modify the headers and mid-pipe but leave the stock mufflers on. I wouldnt mess w/ the intake unless you're doing a big cube setup where you'll need more air like the LSX gives. The heads are good so I really wouldnt mess w/ them being I dunno your plans.

I'd probably just do air intake, and exhaust for now.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:06 PM
AOC
TECH Regular

CAI and LT headers are pretty good start. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and what your goal is as far as hp range.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AOC
CAI and LT headers are pretty good start. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and what your goal is as far as hp range.
hp range, don't really have a goal since I'm getting a Z06. The power I want is pritty much already there. I pritty much just want to make it sound really mean and maybe add a few more horsepower here and there. Should I get the Vera Ram air intake? Headers? If so what headers are good for the old Z06, I know that kooks and QTP are great for the Trans Am.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SLP LS1
hp range, don't really have a goal since I'm getting a Z06. The power I want is pritty much already there. I pritty much just want to make it sound really mean and maybe add a few more horsepower here and there. Should I get the Vera Ram air intake? Headers? If so what headers are good for the old Z06, I know that kooks and QTP are great for the Trans Am.
Go GMMG or Borla.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend $ like it does'nt matter, Dynatech makes a great SS header, fits well.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Borla Stingers have a deep rumble, are free flowing, and go for a fair price. Some like to stick with the stock exhaust since it's pretty light and provides good flow.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Does the stock exhaust come with x-pipe? What's cags? and has anyone tried and does anyone know of any links for Corvette exhaust sounds?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SLP LS1
Does the stock exhaust come with x-pipe? What's cags? and has anyone tried and does anyone know of any links for Corvette exhaust sounds?
Computer Aided Gear Selection or CAGS - Mandatory 1st to 4th shift under slow acceleration......a gas guzzler thingy

I don't know if there is a x-pipe on a stock Z06.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Should be an X pipe on the Z, just like a reg C5.

www.ls1sounds.com has some Corvette clips, but not too many. Corsa has some files on their site, as does Flowmaster. But IMO, the deepest sounding exhaust for a C5 is GHL Magnums. W/ LT headers it should scream. As far as those go, Kooks, LG, QTP, Dynatech all are great. I like the Kooks and LG units personally, but I dont think you can really go wrong w/ a LT header setup (unless its SLP lol).
Old 06-02-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

I recommend the GHL's, I had Borlas, too much interior drone, GHL's sound great as well as being priced well...
Old 06-04-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

You can see by my sig. what I have done. My Kooks LT's arrived yesterday, but without the 3" off road system portion, so I am waiting.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

LG's pro long tubes are the best on the market right now.

27RWHP gain

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/images/...graph%2001.jpg
Old 06-04-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I have had a few catbacks and I like the Z06 catback I just put on mine lol. Thier are so many options really. The Z06 gave me a more sneeky sound, I traded my Corsa for it. My corsa would get everyones attention sometimes when I didn't want it especially at WOT. The Borla's are good, last I checked GMMG did not make a kit for the C5. As for headers teh same thing goes really, most give you a very similar sound but some give alot better numbers. A good catback and a X pipe and a set of TPIS headers can give you one hell of a sound. IF you want better performance your gonna step up in price a bit for Kooks, Dynotechs, or LG's. IF you like the power of what you haev I would slap on a set of LG Longtubes with thier x pipe maybe a cat back but personally the Z06 catback is alot lighter then my Corsa was. Does it matter? Honestly not really lol. But it is a bitch to keep shined with it being Ti. Once you get the LG's on get it tuned. Those LG's give good numbers and performance and sound. As do the Kooks and the Dyno's as well. Good luck. With all thier is to choose you are gonna rack your brain lol. I did see a ATI Twin intercooled kit for sale on the corvette forum for 3500. That is always a start
Old 06-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Launching!

On my 02 Z06 that I just sold I had Kooks long tube headers with X pipe and high flow cats. I then had B&B Bullet cat back to round off the exhaust. It sounded insane. I also put in a custom cam and the vararam intake. My car put 420 to the wheels with this set up. The only reason to change the exhaust on these cars is for the sound as the stock mufflers flow so well you will see no difference with just a cat back. The B&B Bullets have a very deep rumble at idle and scream in the upper rpms. But they are fairly loud. I would recomend a partion for any of the loud exhaust set ups as they work pretty good.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL I have a dream setup for sound weight and flow I will trade you for your stock exaust. It is a Borla stinger with the mufflers removed and replaced by Flowmaster 1 chambers (basically straight through and very light) It SOUNDS wonderful but a little loud with LG's and no Cats. With the stock manifolds and cats it was very bad ***. I just live in a townhome and would like to start the car after 10pm
Old 06-08-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
LOL I have a dream setup for sound weight and flow I will trade you for your stock exaust. It is a Borla stinger with the mufflers removed and replaced by Flowmaster 1 chambers (basically straight through and very light) It SOUNDS wonderful but a little loud with LG's and no Cats. With the stock manifolds and cats it was very bad ***. I just live in a townhome and would like to start the car after 10pm
I'm eliminating the air system and I'm going to run catless also. I'm sure this will be loud without cats and Borla Stingers. I'm still waiting for the 3" off road portion and 3" X pipe from Kooks. It is sort of driving me insane having the Kooks headers and not able to install them until the rest arrives.
I'm going to have to go back to my tuner to eliminate the codes and have her re-dynoed. I also hope to be in the 420rwhp range. I'll post the results as soon as it's done.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Vararam and headers... then tune it.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Teching In

I am in the same boat. Hope to be getting a Z. Exhaust of choice for me is going to be Corsa Pace Car with Tigershark tips.

Check of corsa site for clips.