Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7
View Poll Results: Do you think that the Corvette will ever get an F1-style gearbox?
Yes, because GM wants to keep the Corvette technologically advanced.
27.78%
Yes, because GM thinks that there is a market who is willing to pay at least $3,000 for the option.
14.81%
Yes, because it would optimize the Corvette's all-around performance.
14.81%
Yes, because I could have my cake and eat it too.
11.11%
No, because GM is too old-fashioned.
5.56%
No, because nobody would pay the extra money for the option.
20.37%
No, because there might be reliability issues with this type of gearbox.
14.81%
No, because everybody will be quick and fast at the dragstrip!
3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think that the Corvette will ever get an F1-style gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do you think that the Corvette will ever get an F1-style gearbox?

I've been wanting to buy a manual transmission Corvette for quite some time now, but I've recently become environmentally aware as I'm now dreaming about buying a Toyota Prius. Also, I realized that buying a manual transmission Corvette would be pointless if I don't even know how to properly run it on the dragstrip. (I had an M6 2000 Z28 that I never broke into the 13's with, because of bad launches and missed gears. Therefore, I now have an '02 A4 Z28.) The only way I would buy a Corvette is if it had an F1-style gearbox so that I can manually shift on the street and, on the dragstrip, have the car's computer control my launches and shift perfectly for me. I know Ferrari and BMW have this type of gearbox in their cars. How many people here think that this type of transmission will ever make it into a Corvette? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Resident

Default Paddle-Shifted automatic for '06

I just did a search on Google using the keywords SMG and Corvette and stumbled upon a message board talking about an Autoweek article that talks about a paddle-shifted automatic transmission that will be available for the C6 in '06. (Of course, this is probably old news here, but it is new news to me.) I think it sucks, but it kind of makes me think that a real F1 or SMG-type transmission WILL one day become a Corvette factory option.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know there was talk about a paddle shifter but thats nothing that ill ever own.
I like to manually shift my gears just fine
Old 09-04-2005, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

There WILL be one. It is for sure and there are pics of it.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

It gets one for the 2006 Model year
Old 09-05-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DrewSG
It gets one for the 2006 Model year
But it still has a torque converter.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 06 vette will have some sort of paddle shift. But I would not dare to compare it to the paddle shifters of Ferrari or BMW. It looks like the system came off some other GM vehicle. Check this link outhttp://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-85706.html
Old 09-10-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The 2006 will have a six speed automatic transmission. It will have a S mode that you can put the gearshift lever into on the consol..that will allow you to up shift or down shift by using the to shift buttons on the steering wheel. There is a + button for the upshift and - button for the down shift. It is not a sequintial transmission like the C6R or the Ferrari. It is the same automatic trans used in the Caddy. There is a $1250 charge for this option. The main reason they went to it was to increase fuel economy in the automatics. So many people wanted the Z51 Performsance Handling Package last year. Part of the content of that package with the auto trans cars was the 3.15 rear axle ratio. The standard gears in the auto Corvette was a 2.72. The 3.15 changed the fuel milage by 2 miles per gallon. Chevy has to comply with the CAFE laws for the entire fleet of cars that they build. Now the rear axle ratio for all Corvettes with the auto trans is 2.56. They do not have to worry about constraints with the Z51 package any more and less fuel economy for the auto trans Corvette. Plus they get to charge money for the option that was a freebee last year.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:17 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I know there was talk about a paddle shifter but thats nothing that ill ever own.
I like to manually shift my gears just fine
Amen to that, it's a neat toy for people who normally prefer auto's, but I'll never give up my stick.... shifting is half of the fun!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nautilus
Amen to that, it's a neat toy for people who normally prefer auto's, but I'll never give up my stick.... shifting is half of the fun!

Half the fun??? its all the fun..
Old 09-13-2005, 08:43 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Half the fun??? its all the fun..
Old 09-13-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Some of you confuse an auto with selectable gears(via buttons or paddles) with a sequential gearbox like the Bimmers and Ferarris. A slushbox will always be a slushbox no matter how the gears are selected. I don't see GM ever putting an SMG/F1 type shifter in any of their cars any time soon. They are way too costly and way too complex. It would not allow the type of margin they want to see on their cars.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Launching!

I have a 2001 Z06 and I dig it with its manual tranny and hurst shifter...

That said my next corvette will be with a dual clutch sequential shifter. I believe as porsche releases its high performance PDK dual clutch unit and it smokes the competition with its efficiency and consistancy...the corvette team will eventually follow suit.

In the audi the Dual clutch sequential unit is like a 1200 dollar option.

It has a computer that controls two clutches and its kicking ***. BMW is finally going to convert to a dual clutch sequential because even its new M5 7 speed single clutch sequential doesn't compare to the DSG unit in efficiency and shifting performance.

In an interview we have over at www.crossflags.com you can view Dave Hill answer the question on transmissions and he is very impressed with the new DSG unit. (he did mention he was not impressed with the single clutch sequentials for corvette but the duals have peaked his interest)

Hope this answers your question as the DSG sequential technology is amazing!

JB
Old 11-21-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JBsC5
I have a 2001 Z06 and I dig it with its manual tranny and hurst shifter...

That said my next corvette will be with a dual clutch sequential shifter. I believe as porsche releases its high performance PDK dual clutch unit and it smokes the competition with its efficiency and consistancy...the corvette team will eventually follow suit.

In the audi the Dual clutch sequential unit is like a 1200 dollar option.

It has a computer that controls two clutches and its kicking ***. BMW is finally going to convert to a dual clutch sequential because even its new M5 7 speed single clutch sequential doesn't compare to the DSG unit in efficiency and shifting performance.

In an interview we have over at www.crossflags.com you can view Dave Hill answer the question on transmissions and he is very impressed with the new DSG unit. (he did mention he was not impressed with the single clutch sequentials for corvette but the duals have peaked his interest)

Hope this answers your question as the DSG sequential technology is amazing!

JB
Hopefully, Dave Hill's successor, Tom Wallace, will put this DSG in the Corvette as soon as possible. Just imagine--your car's computer will shift quicker than any driver with a traditional manual and all you'll have to do is press the gas pedal. No missed gears. No additional drivetrain loss from a torque converter. And you'll still have the efficiency of a traditional manual transmission. I'm predicting that the DSG will replace both the automatic and the manual transmissions in the future.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by damon_Z
I'm predicting that the DSG will replace both the automatic and the manual transmissions in the future.
I sure hope not, I like shifting my own gears... yeah if they design a tans that shifts faster and requires no more drivetrain loss it would make sence. But imho shifting is a huge part of what makes driving fun, I don't want to just point it in the right direction and stand on the gas, there is no challenge in that.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:58 AM
Launching!

I would say it's old news since theres already a c6 with paddle shift.Over on www.digitalcorvettes.com theres a whole story with pics of the car..

I'm also wondering what the big US push is for enviromentally safe cars is,the rest of the world pollutes the air so bad,were just a small part.From Irag,to Europe,to the US,were all in the same "bubble".The whole world needs to change.Ain't going to happen in our life time.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:08 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by H-5-L
I would say it's old news since theres already a c6 with paddle shift.Over on www.digitalcorvettes.com theres a whole story with pics of the car..

I'm also wondering what the big US push is for enviromentally safe cars is,the rest of the world pollutes the air so bad,were just a small part.From Irag,to Europe,to the US,were all in the same "bubble".The whole world needs to change.Ain't going to happen in our life time.
Not old news... your confusing an F1 sequintial transmission with what the new vette has... Yes you can change gears with the bush of a button in the new vette, but it still has a tourqe converter and it shifts sloppy and slow. A true Sequintial Gearbox is amazing... lightning quick up and down shifts.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nautilus
Not old news... your confusing an F1 sequintial transmission with what the new vette has... Yes you can change gears with the bush of a button in the new vette, but it still has a tourqe converter and it shifts sloppy and slow. A true Sequintial Gearbox is amazing... lightning quick up and down shifts.
Tunning will be able to tighten that up.It's still a 6 speed auto,which means you can easily run 4.10 gears,a higher stall convertor and tunning to tighten up the launch control.When it's all perfected.
They don't have to be exactly as the Ferrari to be good,the bimmer is not nearly as good,so this will evolve into maybe a equal or better trans.
The euro's make fun of the old push rod V8 too,but it's as good or better (in my opinion) than those high maintence/dollar euro imports..
Buttons paddles,call it what you will...They look like paddles to me.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by H-5-L
Tunning will be able to tighten that up.It's still a 6 speed auto,which means you can easily run 4.10 gears,a higher stall convertor and tunning to tighten up the launch control.When it's all perfected.
They don't have to be exactly as the Ferrari to be good,the bimmer is not nearly as good,so this will evolve into maybe a equal or better trans.
The euro's make fun of the old push rod V8 too,but it's as good or better (in my opinion) than those high maintence/dollar euro imports..
Buttons paddles,call it what you will...They look like paddles to me.
The difference is not in the actual shift... yes you can tune the trans to shift firmer...etc. the difference is in the lag between when you push the button and when the car shifts... there atleast for now there is alot of lag between button push and shift in the "tiptronic, sportronic or whatever they happen to call it" A tru sequiential trans is immediate... Take a WOT up shift in the new vette... if you flick the button at 200 rpm shy of red line... it would bounce off the rev limiter before shiftring... Now try the same in a ferrari or any car with a real Seq. gearbox... and the shift is instant. I'm not trying to argue with you about this, but the topic was an F1 style trans, not a puch button automatc
Old 11-22-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well said sir..the six speed auto is a far cry from the sequential gearbox that Ferrari or the C6R uses...the paddle shift auto is so slooooow to change gears..it is a novel way that GM used to bump the price of the car $1250...they sell more autos than manuals now days.. a sad situation if you ask me..

Quick Reply: Do you think that the Corvette will ever get an F1-style gearbox?