Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Coolant question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 04:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant question

I just bought my 99 C5 and when I am driving it the coolant temp seems to stay right around 190 but when I am sitting in traffic and sitting at red lights the coolant rised to around 220-225. Just wondering if this is normal or if I should take a closer look at the coolant system?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a good flush and refill is in order if its the stock fluid, make sure to use the gm dex-cool, 190 is normal cause of the thermostat(throw in a 160), but if its getting to 225 quickly thats not good, shouldnt get that high unless your in traffic for a while doing hard stop and go's... dont forget, 220 is boiling, and you've got an aluminum engine, better to be safe than sorry....
Old 11-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Teching In

allright cool man thanks for the help i was looking into getting one of those 160 thermos. I didnt know if i had maybe another more major problem or what.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

220 or so is normal, I know for sure on the Z06 and I believe also the C5. The thermastat doesn't even open till 190* or 195*. It's how GM has it set-up, the fix is to lower your fan #1 and #2 on and off temps. I did this and now it never gets past 195* or so, even in heavy stop and go traffic.
Robert
Old 11-18-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Assassin
a good flush and refill is in order if its the stock fluid, make sure to use the gm dex-cool, 190 is normal cause of the thermostat(throw in a 160), but if its getting to 225 quickly thats not good, shouldnt get that high unless your in traffic for a while doing hard stop and go's... dont forget, 220 is boiling, and you've got an aluminum engine, better to be safe than sorry....
The boiling point for H2O is much higher when under pressure...In this case around 14psi. Just an FYI....
Old 11-18-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
The boiling point for H2O is much higher when under pressure...In this case around 14psi. Just an FYI....
That's why you get a steam like burn when you pop the cap hot and under pressure. Ask the side of my arm how it feels.
Robert
Old 11-18-2005, 12:59 AM
Teching In

hey thanks for the info guys
Old 11-18-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah it may be time for a 160 thermo but thats normal for my car
Old 11-18-2005, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray99
I just bought my 99 C5 and when I am driving it the coolant temp seems to stay right around 190 but when I am sitting in traffic and sitting at red lights the coolant rised to around 220-225. Just wondering if this is normal or if I should take a closer look at the coolant system?

If I where you, I would spend a couple of bucks.

First thing to buy, would be a couple of quarts of "water wetter". It's some pretty badass stuff. It's supposed to reduce temperatures of to 20 degrees.

Also, I would recommend getting a diablosport hand held programmer. One reason, you'll make more power, next it will reduce your temperatures by turning on your fans quicker.

My car, for example, runs at 189 all day. I have water wetter, and a custom dyno tune by diablo(I have it on my predator).

I shorted my fan out the other day being an idiot, and still my car runs at 198 degrees, in south florida.

It's cheap insurance, and you will make more power.

The thermostat change, will still need to be edited in your PCM,...so I wouldn't do just that.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
If I where you, I would spend a couple of bucks.

First thing to buy, would be a couple of quarts of "water wetter". It's some pretty badass stuff. It's supposed to reduce temperatures of to 20 degrees.

Also, I would recommend getting a diablosport hand held programmer. One reason, you'll make more power, next it will reduce your temperatures by turning on your fans quicker.

My car, for example, runs at 189 all day. I have water wetter, and a custom dyno tune by diablo(I have it on my predator).

I shorted my fan out the other day being an idiot, and still my car runs at 198 degrees, in south florida.

It's cheap insurance, and you will make more power.

The thermostat change, will still need to be edited in your PCM,...so I wouldn't do just that.
Dont waste your money on the diablow.
It wont make your fans turn any faster.
You can reprogram the pcm to make them come on at a lower temp.
I would wait until you got some more mods and then get a professional tune by one of our sponsors on the right ----------------------------->

Quick Reply: Coolant question