Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 Bra, any good ones?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Bra, any good ones?

I bought this Corvette recently as a one owner with 27k miles on it. It’s a 2000 but has been well maintained. Except for the front has a few scuffs underneath an on the lower side corners from someone parking & not watching where the curb was. I will also be driving the car daily till I buy a different car for going back & fourth to work. So I would like to maybe get a bra for the front to hide the light scuffs & protect the front from any potential rock chips from daily driving. Are there any good bras for a 2000 C5 that look good, protect well & fit snug? I had one for my 2000 Z28 but I don’t remember where I bought it online.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:20 AM
12 Second Club

I have a Lebra front bra thats black, I used it 2 or 3 times then I got my car 3m'd, if you want a bra I will sell it super cheap, PM me
Old 11-22-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

The GM Bra is great. It goes on & off in a snap after the first time. If you get one go to an upholstry shop & pick us some extra of the sheet metal screw snaps. They do not give you enough.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

I have one made by Covercraft that is a very nice piece. I used it maybe 6 times for long trips.
I am selling it now b/c I have an ACI front spoiler and the bra no longer fits.

Let me know if you're interested. I only want $45 for it and it in brand new condition.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

I don't like how bras look on C5s, esp. black ones on non-black car. Consider 3M paint protection film. It is pricey but it works!

My wife slammed the door open into a guard rail, the edge of the door had 3M film, guess what - film is all scratched up and torn, the paint underneath is undamaged. This stuff is great.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by longdaddy
I don't like how bras look on C5s, esp. black ones on non-black car. Consider 3M paint protection film. It is pricey but it works!

My wife slammed the door open into a guard rail, the edge of the door had 3M film, guess what - film is all scratched up and torn, the paint underneath is undamaged. This stuff is great.
I agree the 3M stuff is nice but, it also has it's draw backs.
As you stated, you now have door with the 3M material all tore up. To fix this is quite a choir and very expensive compared to say buying a new bra.

For the occassinal road trip; the bra is perfect. Easy on and easy off, great protection and worth the small investment. The 3M product is much more permanent and IF it gets damaged you are either stuck with it or you have to get the whole piece replaced which is quite costly.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bras can do a lot of damage to a car's paint. Sand and other grit can get stuck between the bra and the car causing scratches of nightmarish proportion. Ask me how I know. The few small chips that a bra will protect from will be just as easily touched up. And the bras look terrible. I say just get yourself some touch up paint.
James
Old 11-24-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Schwindj
Bras can do a lot of damage to a car's paint. Sand and other grit can get stuck between the bra and the car causing scratches of nightmarish proportion.
I also experienced this firsthand. black bra on black camaro didn't look half bad, but when I took it off after less then a month, I found a lot of little scrathes around the corners of front bumper and some around the front emblem. I took extra care to make sure it was on tight and not flapping and still got my paint scratched up. Nothing too terrible but still pretty frustrating. Also having to take it off to wash/wax the car was annoying.

As far as having torn up 3M film - I can get that damaged piece replaced for around $50 - it's just a narrow strip wrapped around the door's edge. Sure beats repainting the door. And I hate doing the touch up paint thing - it will never completely blend in.

If the film lifts/tears on the edge, the installer shop will trim the edge back a little - for free.

If you compare putting 3M film on (and maintaining it) against doing factory-quality paint job on scratched body panels, it DEFINITLEY pays for itself.

I probably wouldn't get it for the car that I didn't care to keep in showroom condition, initial $$ hit IS painful.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much are you talking to have your car done initially with the 3m?
Old 12-04-2005, 08:28 PM
MJD
12 Second Club

If you want a bra to match your car's color they do make them... they're expensive though.
http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.552
Old 12-04-2005, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

I might just get a perfect fit bra. I had one for my 2000 Z28 & it was very snug & fit like a glove. Plus it was nicely made. I live out in the country & I have to drive 20 miles each way to get to the nearest city. I have had the car less than a month & have noticed new rock chips starting to show up driving it daily ( because it all I have ATM ) I stay way back (100+ ft) from behind other drivers in hopes that the rocks being stirred up will have bounced off the road or stopped moving by the time I am driving through. Anyways I figure either damage can occur from having lots of rock chips or damage can occur from a bra possibly. If it’s from the bra it will be unseen by the public. This will keep the car looking sharp while daily driving. And if it’s a ton of rock chips then it shows to everyone & they show up worse when I wax the car. I figure the bra will protect from chips & help keep the car looking better with it on. And later when I get a daily driver to go to work in & I can park this car I can take the bra off & prep the car then repaint (I have a shop & paint booth) it to restore the whole paint job back to new. Then just drive her on special occasions & keep her in showroom condition.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Teching In

I have a Colgan Custom Colour matched bra and mirror gloves. The quality and fit is superb! I have no problems with bra's causing scratches etc. Clean it regularly and use lots of wax on the paint where your bra touches. I have NO chips on my car thanks to the bra!

Pic...

Old 12-08-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DocT
How much are you talking to have your car done initially with the 3m?
you're looking at $500-700 depending on installer and how much you want done
Old 12-10-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by longdaddy
you're looking at $500-700 depending on installer and how much you want done

Ouch baby, Very OUCH!

Quick Reply: C5 Bra, any good ones?