Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

New Owner,need brake job, what pads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner,need brake job, what pads?

Hey LS1Tech, just got a 2002 black coupe with 56,000 miles. I hear the occasional brake squealing when I apply the brakes. Dealership says 370 some-odd dollars for the job, but I was thinking to try and find some better, longer-lasting pads. What kind and who is the best vendor on here to buy them from?

Last edited by Vette4LIFE; 03-27-2006 at 06:00 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-27-2006, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Hawk HPS pads. I ordered some from a buddy of mine just the other day. If you are interested, let me know and I'll forward his information.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

yes sir interested, mine are squealing a little, just sometimes, but I need to get it done asap. Are the Hawk pads longer lasting than oem? I don't really brake hard, I coast or ride down the gear, so I want the longest-lasting and not necesarily the best grabbing pads.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

i went with ceramics because of all the dust that the stockers create.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

my rims are the stock (what do you call the non-chromes, are they the magnesiums?) thin 5 spokes and not the chrome z06 wheels like you have, so I haven't had a problem with dust, and I want the longest wearing pads possible.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Well, I'm not sure about the Hawk pads being the longest lasting by any means. They are great for more aggressive driving and for overall performance.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
i went with ceramics because of all the dust that the stockers create.
I used the GM Durastop ceramics. Little dust and no noise. I can't tell you how long they will last but since they are not soft or agressive pads I would think they would last a pretty long time particularly if you do not abuse them.

Best price I have found is about $113.00 to your door.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

How much is the job supposed to run? I've had a qoute of 300, 378, and 431.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Dude, do it yourself!! If you know your way around a (socket) wrench, you can change the pads in a short afternoon. And, if you don't autocross your vette, then stick with the OEM pads, which Autozone or Murray's or just about any autoparts store will have. PM me if you have real questions.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vette4LIFE
How much is the job supposed to run? I've had a qoute of 300, 378, and 431.
make sure they are turning the rotors along with the new pads, which it sounds like they are doing because those quotes seem a bit high just for pads only and any good shop would do the rotors anyway.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like Camaro SS said if you have any mechanical ability at all pads are an easy thing to change. If you do a search Or some one here can tell you where I have seen a very good how to write up with pictures. I don't remember if it was on this forum, corvette forum , or z06vette.com.

If your noise is just coming from the wear sensors and you have not let the pads wear to the metal backing plate you may not need to have the rotors turned. In fact the factory manual says---quote--

"The disc brake rotors do not require refinishing as part of routine brake system service. Do not refinish disc brake rotors in an attempt to correct brake noise, squeal, growl, groan. Uneaven and or premature disc brake pad wear. Superficial or cosmetic corrosion/rust of the disc brake rotor surface. Scoring of the disc brake rotor surface less than the maximum allowable specification."

There are specifications to check to see if the rotors are within limits but if you do not have the proper tools to measure them the specifications won't help you.

However if the surfaces look reasonably good, have not been turned before and are not below the minimum thichness and you do not feel any pulsing in the pedal when you apply the brakes you probably only need pads. Don't let anyone tell you turning rotors is a must when replacing pads. If they need to be turned a good auto or machine shop can turn them for you. probably $8-$10 each.

If the rotors look ok and are not pulsing just sand the heck out of the rotors with coarse sand paper (60 or 80 grit will do) to remove the glaze.

If you can't do it yourself prices wil vary considerably depending on who is doing the work and what they are doing. Get a few written estimates and compare before deciding. Unless the rotors are obviously in bad shape anyone who tells you the rotors need replacing or turning with out measuring their specifications is taking advantage of you.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by terry s
Like Camaro SS said if you have any mechanical ability at all pads are an easy thing to change. If you do a search Or some one here can tell you where I have seen a very good how to write up with pictures. I don't remember if it was on this forum, corvette forum , or z06vette.com.

If your noise is just coming from the wear sensors and you have not let the pads wear to the metal backing plate you may not need to have the rotors turned. In fact the factory manual says---quote--

"The disc brake rotors do not require refinishing as part of routine brake system service. Do not refinish disc brake rotors in an attempt to correct brake noise, squeal, growl, groan. Uneaven and or premature disc brake pad wear. Superficial or cosmetic corrosion/rust of the disc brake rotor surface. Scoring of the disc brake rotor surface less than the maximum allowable specification."

There are specifications to check to see if the rotors are within limits but if you do not have the proper tools to measure them the specifications won't help you.

However if the surfaces look reasonably good, have not been turned before and are not below the minimum thichness and you do not feel any pulsing in the pedal when you apply the brakes you probably only need pads. Don't let anyone tell you turning rotors is a must when replacing pads. If they need to be turned a good auto or machine shop can turn them for you. probably $8-$10 each.

If the rotors look ok and are not pulsing just sand the heck out of the rotors with coarse sand paper (60 or 80 grit will do) to remove the glaze.

If you can't do it yourself prices wil vary considerably depending on who is doing the work and what they are doing. Get a few written estimates and compare before deciding. Unless the rotors are obviously in bad shape anyone who tells you the rotors need replacing or turning with out measuring their specifications is taking advantage of you.

Well fellows, I don't have a work area, plus i have jus tmoved to Louisiana, so I don't have the proper tools nor the proper jack and for now I am going to take the easy way out and pay to have it done. I just wanted the prices to be fair, plus by asking you guys I could see who was taking me on a ride,and who was doing fair business.

The pads aren;t worn all the way down, just sometimes, not everytime, and not most of the time, they squeal a little on stopping, just like cars do when they need pads. No pulsing or pulling to one side, just the noise.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Where to in Louisiana did ya move to? They have good amount of us LS1 people down here.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vette4LIFE
Well fellows, I don't have a work area, plus i have jus tmoved to Louisiana, so I don't have the proper tools nor the proper jack and for now I am going to take the easy way out and pay to have it done. I just wanted the prices to be fair, plus by asking you guys I could see who was taking me on a ride,and who was doing fair business.

The pads aren;t worn all the way down, just sometimes, not everytime, and not most of the time, they squeal a little on stopping, just like cars do when they need pads. No pulsing or pulling to one side, just the noise.
Just trying to help you save a buck if we could. Squealing does not necessarily mean worn pads unless the the pads are so worn that the wear indicator are hitting the rotors. If so yes replace them. The wear indicators will usually hit when you have about 1/16" of pad left. However sometimes pads wear uneavenly and you can have a pad worn completly out and another pad still good. An inspection of each pad is the only way to know for sure.

So if you are sure they need replaced or just want them replaced anyway I still suggest getting written quotes so you know what you are getting for your money. And size them up to see if they are just feeding you a line of BS about turning or replacing rotors or if they are really checking them for being in or out of specification or not. If you are not hard on brakes my guess is the rotors are fine, but as I said they need to be inspected to know for sure.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Take the money you'd spend getting the work done and buy a jack if you can't get it less than $200.

Honestly, it is a 15 minute job minus removing and replacing the wheels.

If they are charge you $380 or so, then thats way too much.

If you want to find a decent price I'd say 1 hour shop time plus materials, or anywhere from $65 to $85 plus parts.

I've been in a pinch to get brakes done before myself and usually go into a shop and tell the guy $25 cash per corner. Watch how little time it takes them.

To really fine the noise you need to pull the pads and inspect them, the rotors, etc. It could be the caliper, pads, rotor, etc...is the noise coming from a specific corner? Hot/Cold? It just might be the pads themselves, certain pads make noise.

Hell my Hawk Blues I sound like a school bus coming to a stop when they are cold.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NoOne
Take the money you'd spend getting the work done and buy a jack if you can't get it less than $200.

Honestly, it is a 15 minute job minus removing and replacing the wheels.

If they are charge you $380 or so, then thats way too much.

If you want to find a decent price I'd say 1 hour shop time plus materials, or anywhere from $65 to $85 plus parts.

I've been in a pinch to get brakes done before myself and usually go into a shop and tell the guy $25 cash per corner. Watch how little time it takes them.

To really fine the noise you need to pull the pads and inspect them, the rotors, etc. It could be the caliper, pads, rotor, etc...is the noise coming from a specific corner? Hot/Cold? It just might be the pads themselves, certain pads make noise.

Hell my Hawk Blues I sound like a school bus coming to a stop when they are cold.
I would agree that $380 or more is high they must be turning the rotors with that price to.
I believe that turning rotors when changing pads go hand in hand, iv always maintined my vehicles that way and never had any probs.
good luck with whichever way you deciede
Old 03-30-2006, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rob 99
I would agree that $380 or more is high they must be turning the rotors with that price to.
I believe that turning rotors when changing pads go hand in hand, iv always maintined my vehicles that way and never had any probs.
good luck with whichever way you deciede
Same here, always turned the rotors when I changed pads. Cheap insurance.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most rotors can't be turned on OEM cars anymore.

Even turning the rotors thats too exspensive. You can buy the Napa blanks for $25 a piece.

Check the min thickness with a caliper mic, the min is printed on the hub, most cannot be turned due to lack of material.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NoOne
Most rotors can't be turned on OEM cars anymore.

Even turning the rotors thats too exspensive. You can buy the Napa blanks for $25 a piece.

Check the min thickness with a caliper mic, the min is printed on the hub, most cannot be turned due to lack of material.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

(quote) I believe that turning rotors when changing pads go hand in hand, iv always maintined my vehicles that way and never had any probs. (quote)

According to the service manual turning rotors is not needed if the rotors are within specifications, thus a waste of money.

Spend your money how you wish.

Quick Reply: New Owner,need brake job, what pads?