Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Corvette guys beware

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006 | 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ndeas
im running stock clutch 436 rwhp , 11.30 1/4 at 122 why get a spec at all. sorry to here about all of your problems. like the old saying if it aint broke dont fix it. get that trexilla clutch, ive heard its the best . and i can tell you from experience with most high performance stuff, most of it aint covered under any circumstance. thats why you dont see many warranty items. good luck in youre quest.

I'm looking into the textralia/exedy/ram set-ups myself.

I am, on kinda of on a budget
Old 05-17-2006 | 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ndeas
im running stock clutch 436 rwhp , 11.30 1/4 at 122 why get a spec at all. sorry to here about all of your problems. like the old saying if it aint broke dont fix it. get that trexilla clutch, ive heard its the best . and i can tell you from experience with most high performance stuff, most of it aint covered under any circumstance. thats why you dont see many warranty items. good luck in youre quest.
My stock clutch only has 43K on it and there was plenty left. I installed new ported, polished, and milled LS6 heads, FAST LSX 90 intake, and 90mm LS2/LS7 thottlebody. Took it to the dyno for a dyno tune and can't make it past my torque peak without the clutch slipping and burning up +/-4800rpm. A bad problem in a good way is how I look at it. I was over 440rwhp at only 5000rpm and my motor makes its peak power from there to 6800rpm.
Old 05-17-2006 | 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It's just weird to me to see all these SPEC issues. The #1 thing for a PP or Flywheel to break is heat, now ,you did use a new Flywheel,right? The PP bolt's didn't back out causing the disk to slip?

Only reason I mention this is because out of the 30-40 we have installed we've never seen a failure like this.These cars are heavilly abused with alot of them at 650+rwhp and track beat regulary.
Old 05-17-2006 | 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
I'm looking into the textralia/exedy/ram set-ups myself.

I am, on kinda of on a budget
I am replacing my Spec 3 setup with a Ram twin disk. This will all be going in next week.
Old 05-17-2006 | 10:22 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
i have some pictures of my car, i'll post some by the end of the day....
V - i still have your pics hosted, i can put them up if you like. Poor Corvettes...
Old 05-17-2006 | 10:37 AM
Teching In

We did an install on a Z06 with a spec 3 hybrid what a POS. It had such a vibration you could hardly drive it. The vibration came on at 1900-2400 rpm then it was gone. took out the match balanced unit and went to our local machine shop and had it re balanced. Problem was better but the added weight to make it right it looked like a big wheel weight. It was ok but still there was a slight vibration so we went back to a brand new stock setup and it has held 500 rwhp with a 100 shot and then was rejetted back down to the 465 mark and has had no problems. I would say do the textralia or the LS2/LS7 setup. Or for 450rwhp or so stick with stock. Legs are a terrible thing to waste!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2006 | 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a spec 3+ and I love it. I think it is alot better clutch than the normal spec 3. No chatter and holds power very well and is well balanced. Time wil tell I have about 5000 miles on it now and its been flawless. I had a ram sintered Iron setup before and while holding power and longevity were very good...(20K miles) the chatter was horrible for a street car.

If this 3+ gives up the ghost Ill go with the new Textralia twin disk setup....if anything because its explosion rated....

Last edited by cantdrv65; 05-18-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2006 | 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

After hearing about your first incident I bought a RAM 915 HD. As soon as I figured out how to get it to work (no slave spacer) it is great. Still breaking the motor in so I'll give an update when I can beat the **** out of it.
Old 05-18-2006 | 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
I have a spec 3+ and I love it. I think it is alot better clutch than the normal spec 3. No chatter and holds power very well and is well balanced. Time wil tell I have about 5000 miles on it now and its been flawless. I had a ram sintered Iron setup before and while holding power and longevity were very good...(20K miles) the chatter was horrible for a street car.

If this 3+ gives up the ghost Ill go with the new Textralia twin disk setup....if anything because its explosion rated....
That's just about the same I've heard from my tuner Slowhawk above here. He mentioned the chatter to me over the 3 also. He has done plenty of these and I just want someone that I trust doing it right, as if I were doing it myself. There are a few things we discussed. A strict alignment, a new balanced flywheel over a light aluminum one, and making sure the pressure plate bolts are torqued to spec. so they won't back out and burn up the clutch, which is the cause for earlier failures in some applications he has seen. We discussed the break-in and the do's and don'ts of making sure I don't burn it up. This is the kind of information that makes me not worry about going with SPEC. I still don't have my full dyno results yet without slippage after my new heads and intake manifold etc install. We'll find out shortly and I'll post the results.
Old 05-18-2006 | 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by zo6vetteman2003
That's just about the same I've heard from my tuner Slowhawk above here. He mentioned the chatter to me over the 3 also. He has done plenty of these and I just want someone that I trust doing it right, as if I were doing it myself. There are a few things we discussed. A strict alignment, a new balanced flywheel over a light aluminum one, and making sure the pressure plate bolts are torqued to spec. so they won't back out and burn up the clutch, which is the cause for earlier failures in some applications he has seen. We discussed the break-in and the do's and don'ts of making sure I don't burn it up. This is the kind of information that makes me not worry about going with SPEC. I still don't have my full dyno results yet without slippage after my new heads and intake manifold etc install. We'll find out shortly and I'll post the results.
Im actually running the same Fidanza alum flywheel I had with the Ram, I just had the friction surface plate changed....
Old 05-19-2006 | 07:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Im actually running the same Fidanza alum flywheel I had with the Ram, I just had the friction surface plate changed....
For my application, mine won't be quite as light as the aluminum. I believe the new flywheel is from SPEC, unless Slowhawk buys it seperately from somewhere else. He may chime in and confirm exactly which one it is.
Old 05-19-2006 | 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
It's just weird to me to see all these SPEC issues. The #1 thing for a PP or Flywheel to break is heat, now ,you did use a new Flywheel,right? The PP bolt's didn't back out causing the disk to slip?

Only reason I mention this is because out of the 30-40 we have installed we've never seen a failure like this.These cars are heavilly abused with alot of them at 650+rwhp and track beat regulary.

New flywheels where used. All bolts where still in place, some of them half shredded. I'm a torque to spec freak.. i torque everyting. Everytyhing.

Atleast on my car.

These cars(mine and my friends) are both daily drivers, that get powershifted everyday....
Old 05-19-2006 | 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
V - i still have your pics hosted, i can put them up if you like. Poor Corvettes...

yeah, if you could link them john, that'd be cool. Thanks.

J
Old 05-19-2006 | 10:38 AM
Restricted User

No problem, you're welcome!

Here are the pics of V-Series Tech's car:

Old 05-19-2006 | 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know they are pricey, but in my opinion worth every penny. I have the EXEDY twin plate and love it. Hated the chatter at first, but after brake in, the chatter went away and it is as smooth as the stock clutch was but this girl handles everything flawlessly. 6800 rpm shifts, 3000 rpm launches, (I don't beat on it more then that) This MF'R just grabs and holds on for dear life. Get an Exedy and you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 05-19-2006 | 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks again John.
Old 05-19-2006 | 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I know they are pricey, but in my opinion worth every penny. I have the EXEDY twin plate and love it. Hated the chatter at first, but after brake in, the chatter went away and it is as smooth as the stock clutch was but this girl handles everything flawlessly. 6800 rpm shifts, 3000 rpm launches, (I don't beat on it more then that) This MF'R just grabs and holds on for dear life. Get an Exedy and you shouldn't have any issues.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-19-2006 | 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

jamie i hope they do something bro......this is bull ****.
Old 05-19-2006 | 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

just so you know the exedy i know for breaking rear diffs. specs are really hit or miss. my stage three held a **** load of abuse, heads, cam, and a 150 shot with 28" slicks. however my buddys went south shortly after he intalled it. my vote goes the the textralia. its an awsome clutch. good luck with your car.
Old 05-19-2006 | 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GDM Z28
jamie i hope they do something bro......this is bull ****.

loading weapons now.

Quick Reply: Corvette guys beware