Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Corvette guys beware

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011 | 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

I Still talk about this car whenever I hear someone considering a SPEC clutch. The OPs car wasnt the only spec clutch to let go either. Within a small circle of people 2 peoples specs totalled their vettes in similar fashion.

Wierdly and luckily enough no one got hit by shrapnel but in all cases shrapnel came through the hood and demolished the car like seen in these pics. Try explaining that to your insurance company
Old 02-21-2011 | 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sciff5
I Still talk about this car whenever I hear someone considering a SPEC clutch. The OPs car wasnt the only spec clutch to let go either. Within a small circle of people 2 peoples specs totalled their vettes in similar fashion.

Wierdly and luckily enough no one got hit by shrapnel but in all cases shrapnel came through the hood and demolished the car like seen in these pics. Try explaining that to your insurance company

word...

...thats a whole other story,..not even possible to talk about.
Old 02-21-2011 | 09:29 PM
9 Second Club

I dont know guys??? I see a good amount of vendors on this site selling spec clutches.... I guess if they felt the same you did about these clutches would they not sell them. Or are they bad money hungry people selling these clutches.

Spec gives me nothing in regards to payment/discounts. The only thing I get from spec is great customer service. If its my car or a friends car when I am looking at a clutch and I have a question about something they never have a problem answering the phone or calling me right back...
Old 02-21-2011 | 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

sure, cause it's all about sales, not politics.

...and, it's all cool when they're trying to sell you something,..they pick up the phone and return calls. But, blow one of they're clutches up, and see how many phone calls you get returned.

Mike,..again dude,..no disrespect but,..your just blind bud...blind.

I give you picture proof. I give you credible insight. People have came on here and said they know personally of the situation and the multiple cars,.. and all you keep doing is representing this company that hasn't done any more then answer a couple of phone calls, and sold you a clutch. Yet, you defend them. What do you do mike, for a living? I don't need to know specifics,..just curious. I myself, i'm a technician. All I do is work on cars, play with vagina, and play xbox. Some small family time in between,,...vacation here and there but,...all cars,..24-7. I bet you sell spec clutches don't you.
Old 02-28-2011 | 04:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mikep2002
Lets get one thing understood... Any and I mean any clutch can come apart at any given time. That could have just as easily been a tex clutch or anything else. The solution for a high performance car is a SFI bell housing... We are all testing time even though I believe almost all the clutches we use are SFI rated...
I'm no I feel confident launching at 6000rpm with my Spec Twin (and my RKT56 trans and rear end). I also was smart enough to put a Quicktime SFI Steel bellhousing on my car.

All of these disasters could have been prevented by using a steel blowproof bellhousing.
You're testing time and your own fate by having a high performance, high HP car without a blowproof bellhousing. Its just plain stupid.

All clutches fail, its certainly true. back in 05-07 I was very anti-Spec after replacing more than a dozen failed Spec clutches in various customer cars. I dropped my business relationship with Spec back in '05 for this exact reason.

But as time has gone on, I've noticed less and less issues with Spec and heard they have changed hands and management. In 2009, after I had gotten out of dealing with any street cars, a good friend decided to give Spec a shot again and set up a dealer account after Clutchnet went downhill. He started slow selling just a few to test the waters, after having no issues he ramped it up and last I heard he'd moved over 50 without any real problems. I was still skeptical.

I had a chance last year to pick up a lightly used Spec ST Trim Twin and flywheel for $200. I called Spec, discussed it with a tech and emailed him pictures of the clutch. Had a reply 30min later, sent it down there to be rebuilt and had the clutch, completely rebuilt, at my door in under a week. 4000miles, 50some passes turning 1.5x 60's at 500whp and zero issues.

I'm starting not to be so skeptical. 6 years ago I was pushing Clutchnet and Centerforce, now I wouldn't recommend either. Its funny how times change.
Old 03-06-2011 | 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

i would be so pissed of i lost my car because of a failed product and i would be defensive about it too, you could have been seriously hurt or killed because of a bad product that shouldnt have happened man. look at all these medications causing death or serious problems and companies get sued and they should unless it really wasnt the medication. Same should go for automotive parts. think about it think if it happened to you, imagine if your driving and have your car get destroyed and company would say screw you we wont help. Im sorry man that really blows glad your ok and your friend

Quick Reply: Corvette guys beware