Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

My 2, 6 and 10 week review: 2002 Z06

Old 05-19-2006, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,088 Likes on 716 Posts

Default My 2, 6 and 10 week review: 2002 Z06

I bought a 2002 Z06 with 30K miles on it a couple of weeks ago.

Pics here: http://psj.ls1tech.com/gallery/main....&g2_itemId=109

So here are my thoughts about the car, in no particular order.

I think the first question that I had in my head was, "Is this car worth $30-35K" and why. My answer is hell yeah. Now to me, the used C5 Z06 is a great buy. You get a car that is at least a mid 12 second car that can hang with, or beat exotic cars. The car takes corners like it's on rails, and has excellent high speed handling. The car is put together well, and looks awesome. My feeling all along was that the Z06 had to worth another $5,000 over a regular C5 for me to justify getting one. I was not concerned so much about long term depreciation, just whether I was actually paying for, and getting, more car. I've seen folks post about doing 13.0 stock in a M6 C5's, so being able to potentially click off a 11.9-12.5 in a 2002 Z06 is a great bang for the buck, and that's not even taking into account the curbside appeal. I am 100% pleased with the performance.

Now the gas mileage is worse than I expected for city driving. The car is telling me I am getting 13.8mpg right now. I was hoping for better. I have been doing some spirited driving, but my commute is 16 miles roundtrip, plus I sit in some traffic. So I am really not getting on it for long stretches. Sure I do tend to stay in too low a gear just have that wicked passing power, but I was thinking 17mpg or more was attainable.

Overall I like the fit and finish of the car. This four year old car has held up well, and looks good. The body panel gaps are nice, and even. The interior does not have too many creaks and rattles, which is cool, because I was concerned about getting a higher mile car that was a rattlebox. I occasionally will hear some squeaks and rattles, but mainly on uneven road surfaces. I think the noises are mainly coming from the dash area. I would say that I rarely hear noises like that, and that I am pleasantly surprised.

So what is the Z06 like, compared to say a 1998 Camaro SS M6? I had a new Camaro SS back in 1998, and it was a blast. The Camaro was a low 13 second car stock, and one friend went 13.2@107 in his back in 1999. The Camaro was quieter inside than the Z06. Now I've also been in later year F-Bodies and those were still quieter inside than the Z06. I've been told that the Z06 has less sound insulation, and I believe it. You definitely hear more road, tire, and exhaust noise. I can also hear the more of the valvetrain. From a power standpoint, there is no comparison. While my 98 SS was a 12.9@111mph car when I sold it, and that was with a few bolt=ons, this Z06 is clearly a 12.3-4 car and would probably hit 114mph in the quarter stock. The Camaro was easier to hook from a dig than the Z06, much much easier. It's was easier with the Camaro, and my Formula (which is automatic), to feather the gas, or stall up the engine, and roll it out on the street. With the Z06, you really need to roll it out at 1200-1500 and give it minimal gas until you get to like 30mph, or you will be all over the road. The Z06 has this slithery feeling, and wheel spin is not as easy to gauge. I think that with the Z06, trying to street race someone could be hit or miss because you'd have to constantly experiment with how much power you can give the car in 1st and 2nd gear. With the traction control off, I think the Z06 is harder to power into corners, at least for me. I've kicked it out a few times, nothing crazy. I just try to push the car and find what the limits are. I think that the cars are different enough that you cannot assume what works for an F-Body will work for a Z06.

The Visibility in the Z06 is great. Overall it's a little better than an F-Body, especially in the typical blind spots of a F-Body. I find that I am still trying to get used to the driver's side mirror, and where to position it. The lowness of the Z06 is most apparent when using that mirror. I find myself toggling up and down trying to decided where I what setting I want to use with the mirror.

So here is what is great about heads-up display. When you are messing around on the highway, the HU display is a nice way to see that you are going 30mph over the speed limit. The HU display, actually makes me speed less on the highway.

I like the clutch on the Z06, and the trans gearing. You let the clutch out, give it a little gas, and without any slipping or lurching, the car smoothly accelerates. I've tried giving the car very little gas, and rolling it out, and it's very easy to do. I recall with the Camaro SS that there would be a little more slipping involved.

More on the handling... The Z06 feels like a go-kart compared to my old 98 SS. You feel the bumps and ruts more, and the car skates and darts around much more. The car also will hydroplane a LOT more in puddles and in the rain. I've gone through some long but shallow puddles in the car, and I am suprised to feel the car twitching like one of the rear tires (but not both) are hydroplaning.

The gas door release is inside the console, took me a while to find it, that was pretty funny.

The trunk actually can hold a lot of stuff. I can go grocery shopping and get it all in there. I just dropped off a small tv and VHS to the Salvation Army and the TV fit in the middle section of the trunk no problem.

So what don't I like about this car? I can totally see why folks go through a set of rear tires fast. You just don't realize how much wheel spin you are getting. I let the traction control on a lot of the time just to extend tire life. Our other daily driver is a 2005 TL (M6). I miss the navigation system. Alot. Frankly, once you have navigation, you never want to go without. I of course miss the XM radio, I forgot how boring regular radio was. I think the stereo system is not as good as my Acura.

The nose of the car is a little longer than I think it is, by about three inches. So I find myself needing to adjust to that.

I sure would like a power antenna.

I bought a rear partition from www.southerncarparts.com, and will install it this weekend and do a write-up. I'd really like to cut down on some of the interior nose. With that open trunk area, you get more interior noise than you would expect. I don't see how folks can like driving these cars with no cats and a loud catback, that would give me a headache. So we'll see how much interior noise is reduced by adding the partition.

Lastly, I'd like the car faster from 2500 to 4500. The car feels like it could be quicker in that zone, to me it feels like it runs rich down there and it does not clean up until like 4500 rpms. I'm hoping that the eventual installation of an aftermarket air intake and air bridge, and then a slight tune, will give the car crisper acceleration in the mid range.

Well, that's it for now. I'll take pics of the partition, and detail the install and then how well I like it.

I also plan to lower it, the free mod way, but adjusting the bolts, but that's something for another weekend. I still have not decided how much I want to lower it since I drive the car every day in the city of Chicago. But I'm sure I'll try at least three quarters of an inch in the back unless I see some pictures that can give me more guidance.

I also plan to dyno the car stock sometime in the next three weeks, before I put an airbox on it.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you like it John !
IMO, I wouldn't lower it if you do alot of city driving, especially with the "northern area" pot holes and bumps. It will be a much more harsh ride. You will notice a slight low end increase with a good CAI ...with a tune, it gets even better.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:10 AM
9 Second Club

Excellent write up... Covered everything. Reminds me of the first few weeks with mine, there is a learning curve as it drives nothing like an f-body when pushed and can be less forgiving. But I love mine!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:21 AM
9 Second Club

What do you have for tires? Are they the Stock F1 SC's?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

good write-up. Does the Z still have the tall boat oar of a rubbery feeling shifter like the regular C5? If so, that would be another mod worth doing.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

The car has a brand new set of OEM tires on it.

Shifter is like the oar handle from a canoe. I think I'd like something shorter. Good catch.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Good story. I like Acuras also and am looking inot getting my wife one later on. I know what you mean about the nav. system as well.
Get a Blackwing filter, on my 01 coupe it was a night and day difference. The shifter is long but with the stock shifter I have rarely missed a shift as it was with my 2000 SS. The SS needed a shifter but I like the stock shifter and will never change it on the Vette.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Launching!

John, nice write up. I hope to be following what you've done tomorrow. Going to look at a 2002 Milennium Yellow Z06 w/ 19K on the clock. Let us know about the partition. I've heard good and bad but I would think it would help a lot with the noise levels.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:50 PM
LSK
Staging Lane

Nice writeup John. The stock mufflers keep the car quiet if you get headers w/o cats. When you dyno, take the air box off and see if theres any difference.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

As I said John put some TIRES on that thing and you will be suprised at the traction you will get. My Z06 hooks up MUCH BETTER than my camaro did.

Last edited by cantdrv65; 05-19-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Launching!

You shouldnt have any problems at all in second gear unless the tires are shot. When my car was stock, I could shift HARD to second and it would spin and walk around for a moment and then hook back up. At 390rwhp it would spin more, but still hook. At 430rwhp, it would spin all the way into the limiter (this is shifting into second gear). At well over 600rwhp I tried it on F1s once, and it lit the fires all the way into 4th. On nitto NT01s it will stay planted unless Im being stupid. I can plant about 80% of the power in 1st gear and its a truly amazing experience.

Good tires are key.

And yes, the vette feels a little funny when it spins the tires. I like the word "slithery", nails it perfectly.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

You must have been driving pretty enthusiastically to only get 13.8 miles per gallon average.

I just ran outside and took a pic of my DIC (lol).

95% around the city. Just driving it like a regular car, and I reset the counter every other fill-up. I've heard of some getting as good as a 34.1mpg average on a 1,000 mile round-trip.

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
As I said John put some TIRES on that thing and you will be suprised at the traction you will get. My Z06 hooks up MUCH BETTER than my camaro did.

I just got the car a little over 3 months ago so I cannot comment on the stock tires, but I've never had nearly the traction problems as you describe. I have Nitto NT555's on the car. I feel my Z is much better to drive in the rain than my Trans Am was.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that up. It's a great first-hand account from a new Z owner.

Last edited by Zoltan; 05-19-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:04 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

It has been cold and rainy in Chicago for the past week, so the car is not hooking at all.

How on Earth are you getting 20mpg city?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

John, what do you think about the seats in these cars? Absolutely terrible IMHO. I don't know how anyone could road race with them, they would be the first things to go if that was my intention for the car. Congrats on the new ride. I come from Mustangs and have never looked back.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Glad you're enjoying your Z!

Having said this, 13.8mpg on a long trip is just not right... what gear/speed are you cruising at? i get 15mpg and my "commute" is 2 miles long with 6 traffic lights, i spend more time idling at reds than actually driving, and the car doesnt even have enough time to warm up. i can easily get over 24mpg on a long trip, mixing highway miles with some city streets and i'm by no means conservative with the right pedal.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

I think your Z needs a little tune up

its hard to get mine under 20 mpg.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine gets 22mpg cruising at 90mph! lol....At 55 it gets nearly 30mpg but who can drive that slow? heads/cam/fullbolt on car also....

I get around 13mpg when Im tuning WOT and driving/logging with efilive. You are driving it like you stole it John, in the rain no less.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

i got 28 on the hwy
Old 05-20-2006, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

I get 25 on the highway and 10 in the city.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Maybe I need to clarify, I am getting 13.8mpg in the city, in stop and go traffic, ie. rush hour traffic. In my commute I rarely get above 55mph.

I installed the partition this morning, took some pics too. Very much worth it. Cuts down on the noise, and I can now hear the speakers behind the seats. The Z06 now sounds (inside) like I thought it would when I first bought it. I'll upload the pics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 2, 6 and 10 week review: 2002 Z06