Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Heads question??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads question??

I have a 2000 C5 and was thinking about getting some heads. I was thinking about picking up a set of LS2 or LS6 heads and having them ported and polished. Would that be better than using my LS1 heads?? Also, has anyone else done this and what kind of results did you get? Or is it not worth the headache...just buy a set of aftermarket heads? I'm not looking to make some crazy setup, just a strong street car without sacrificing streetability or durability.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest doing a cam with the heads if you are going to do them. Heads won't work that great without a bigger cam. Keep this in mind, anytime you do internal work, those always more to do then you bargain for. Get out the checkbook.
Why not just get a good intake and some longtube headers? Similar in price and easy to do yourself. Hope this helps. If you are dead set on heads, I always suggest AFR's but in your case just get some ported LS6 heads, or stock LS6 heads flow way better then those on there now. Read my sig. I went overboard. LOL
Old 05-30-2006, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I would suggest doing a cam with the heads if you are going to do them. Heads won't work that great without a bigger cam. Keep this in mind, anytime you do internal work, those always more to do then you bargain for. Get out the checkbook.
Why not just get a good intake and some longtube headers? Similar in price and easy to do yourself. Hope this helps. If you are dead set on heads, I always suggest AFR's but in your case just get some ported LS6 heads, or stock LS6 heads flow way better then those on there now. Read my sig. I went overboard. LOL

agreed.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkC5
I have a 2000 C5 and was thinking about getting some heads. I was thinking about picking up a set of LS2 or LS6 heads and having them ported and polished. Would that be better than using my LS1 heads?? Also, has anyone else done this and what kind of results did you get? Or is it not worth the headache...just buy a set of aftermarket heads? I'm not looking to make some crazy setup, just a strong street car without sacrificing streetability or durability.
Not worth the headache...

If you are dead set against doing a cam, just get a set of AFR-205s milled .024 (62cc), it will be worth 25-30rwhp SAE. You can use the Cometic gaskets, but since your block is the LS1 block your decks must be in great condition and VERY clean for the Cometics to seal. FYI, I always use Copper spray sealant on Cometics even when I re-use the head gasket..

Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Johnsonville, SC; but orginally from GAINESVILLE, FL

I agree with allngn_c5, doing heads only is a waste of money. The answer is yes, you would see some gains over LS1 heads, but not substantial enough to constitute spending all of that money.

Micah
Old 05-30-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well...I agree, if your gonna do it, do it right the first time but....some people don't have 2500+++ to drop on a set of heads. You can get a set of LS6 heads, for cheap. Real cheap. Do the LS6 heads and good cam, you'll make over 430rwhp.

Easy.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

I agree the cam and headers would be the best route for the money. Dart also makes a good set of heads for the LS1 and I think Summit still has them for $1279.00 ***. A local guy picked up 30 rwhp with the 205cc darts out the box.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ram Air LT1
I agree the cam and headers would be the best route for the money. Dart also makes a good set of heads for the LS1 and I think Summit still has them for $1279.00 ***. A local guy picked up 30 rwhp with the 205cc darts out the box.

That was me I picked up 28 rwhp and 15 rwtq over stock ls6 heads.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest a 224/228 cam on a 114 lsa and a set of cheapo ported LS6 heads. Texas-Speed has them for less than $1000. Get a tune and it will drive like stock and make some nice power. The stock cam is REALLY tiny.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

I'm not against doing a cam....actually I already planned on it. But if I do the LS6 heads with a cam then I would have to do better springs and valves I think. Instead of that headache.....I looked into the darts but too many people are complaining about a smoking issue. So I was thinking patriot heads. What do you think about them. I already have the intake and long tubes on my car. That was a decent gain but I'm looking for more. Probably go with a mild cam, like a stealth cam or something.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

I dont think there ever was a smoking issue(do a search on dart I did before I ordered mine) however the heads coming from summit are updated with all the new parts. They just havent increased the price yet or atleast not as of last week mine came in yesterday and they look good cant wait to bolt them on. The springs that come on the heads are rated for up to .625 lift if I remember correctly.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree; a cam and headers is going to be a great bang for the bucks, and you can build on that too. I also installed the Dart heads, and picked up 30+hp and 40+tq at peak (a lot more torque at low rpm) over a set of cleaned up and milled LS1 heads.
The good thing about doing both at once is that if you buy the Darts, they come with great springs and Ti retainers.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:40 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,174 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigforty
That was me I picked up 28 rwhp and 15 rwtq over stock ls6 heads.
Nice... That's a nice gain. Were the Darts ready to go out of the box? Did you use stock pushrods?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree summit racinghas a killer sale on the DARTS and i just ordered my 225 DARTS for my forged 347 LME Forged motor being built, for $1,289 shipped and fully assemble and you just can't touch that price for these heads. Match those BAD BOYS up to t a G5X3 cam and supporting bolt ons, and 450rwhp should be a NO BRAINER!!
Old 06-06-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys -

Please go easy on me..

I am just starting to research heads, but it sounds like the DARTS are already a great way to go..

My mod's are in the sig and I'm planning on throwing a TR224 114lsa cam with an LS6 intake and some other goodies into the mix..

What I'm wondering is..

With a set of assembled DART 205 heads, what else would I need for the install other than the required gaskets?

I am planning on going with a LS6 ported oil pump and a double roller timing chain when I get the cam put in..

What else would a brother need? Also, if I am up to the task of putting in a cam, could I do the heads to?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

The cam is harder to do then the heads.

Stuff you need to get the job done.

Water pump gaskets(2)
silicone(black) for the corners of the front cover.
head gaskets.
head bolts.
torque wrench.
and either a torque angle meter, or expereince for the 180 degree rotations. Or you can just BUY ARP HEAD studs instead of head bolts.

To do the heads...remove intake/fuelrails...etc etc. Remove power steering pump...and bracket(which may be easier for you if you remove the pump pulley....then just remove the bracket for it once you remove the head(drivers side).

Anyways..if you need help, let me know.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rock on.. thanks for the reply..

Quick Reply: Heads question??