Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 looking to install new ZO6 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question C5 looking to install new ZO6 clutch

I wanted to verify this in the Corvette section... Are these the correct parts and part numbers...???

ls2 flywheel / 12571611
ls7 clutch and pressure plate kit / 24237690
slave cylinder / 15046288
master cylinder / 12570277

Any installation advice would be appreciated...
Old 08-28-2006, 02:52 PM
King of the radial tires

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice is avoid the LS7 clutch if you intend to make passes at the drag strip. It is intolerant of slip and glazes at any launch no matter how fast the clutch release if the launch rpm >3800.

The LS7 is not a race friendly clutch. Every owner I know that goes to the drag strip hates the LS7 clutch.

If you decide to stay on that path, please do the members here a favor and post your impressions of the LS7 clutch after you put ten passes on it.

On the other hand, if you never launch the car, it may be OK...so long as you are meticulous about keeping the fluid in the clutch hydraulic master cylinder reservoir pristinely clean. If it gets nasty, the pedal will hang on the shifts >6000.

Ranger
Old 08-29-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am currently using the C5-ZO6 clutch (2001-2004???) and having no slip issues so I am assuming the new ZO6 clutch will be even stronger. No DR use ever planned... just trying to verify the correct part numbers...

Old 08-29-2006, 08:00 AM
King of the radial tires

Originally Posted by SideStep
I am currently using the C5-ZO6 clutch (2001-2004???) and having no slip issues so I am assuming the new ZO6 clutch will be even stronger. No DR use ever planned... just trying to verify the correct part numbers...

The issue with the LS7 clutch is that it glazes if launched with any slip. It will do that on stock tires.

The PP and rotating disc friction surfaces lose their coeficient of friction when heated by any slip.

I loved the LS6 clutch. I hate the LS7 clutch. My C6Z dyno is 469 rwhp. The LS7 clutch is unhappy at this power level if the car is launched. This clutch has glazed at a 2900 launch with 6 feet of slip. I glazed it once or twice each time at the track before figuring out the issue was the clutch and not a slow clutch pedal. Now I limit the launch to 3500 with a super fast release. No glazing, but also far from stellar 60' or 330' because I am unable to harness the energy stored by the flywheel.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 08-29-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well... then based on that info... I will just go back to the LS6 clutch...

I am replacing it because I did NOT get it balanced (trusted it to be done from the factory ) and I have a slight vibration at 2200 and 4200 rpms...

I work in Chantilly, VA BTW....

Thanks for the info...
Old 08-29-2006, 10:48 AM
King of the radial tires

...I am replacing it [the clutch] because I did NOT get it balanced (trusted it to be done from the factory ) and I have a slight vibration at 2200 and 4200 rpms...

I work in Chantilly, VA BTW....
Three of the five clutches I had installed in my 2001 and 2002 Z06s were seriously out of balance when purchased. I learned to have all the rotating parts balanced by a competent shop before installation.

BTW Sep 17 at Capitol Raceway...All Corvette Day private rental. 100+ Corvettes making passes. Mark your calendar.

Ranger
Old 08-29-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ranger
Three of the five clutches I had installed in my 2001 and 2002 Z06s were seriously out of balance when purchased. I learned to have all the rotating parts balanced by a competent shop before installation.

BTW Sep 17 at Capitol Raceway...All Corvette Day private rental. 100+ Corvettes making passes. Mark your calendar.

Ranger
Cool it is on the calendar... Want to recommend a "competent" shop??? I was thinking maybe Corvette Tony in Gaithersburg, but I am not sure he has a machine-shop....
Old 08-29-2006, 11:41 AM
King of the radial tires

Cool it is on the calendar... Want to recommend a "competent" shop??? I was thinking maybe Corvette Tony in Gaithersburg, but I am not sure he has a machine-shop....
Tony runs a first-rate operation in every respect. His shop did the last clutch on my 2002 Z06.

Tony's uses a local machine shop to balance the clutch components.

Part of the install can be KoolSox on the clutch hydraulic lines, to reduce the heat load on the fluid, and a remote bleeder, to ease the job of changing the clutch fluid.

His prices seem high until you factor in the quality and reliability of the results. To me R/R a clutch is like eye/heart/brain surgery to a car. I want the best guy to do the work because I care a lot about the outcome. Everything a car does, depends on the clutch.

Ranger
Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ranger
Tony runs a first-rate operation in every respect. His shop did the last clutch on my 2002 Z06.

Tony's uses a local machine shop to balance the clutch components.

Part of the install can be KoolSox on the clutch hydraulic lines, to reduce the heat load on the fluid, and a remote bleeder, to ease the job of changing the clutch fluid.

His prices seem high until you factor in the quality and reliability of the results. To me R/R a clutch is like eye/heart/brain surgery to a car. I want the best guy to do the work because I care a lot about the outcome. Everything a car does, depends on the clutch.

Ranger
Cool... I already have the bleeder installed and have been using a reflective fiberglass-backed tape to wrap the fluid lines.... I will be doing the install myself, so I will call Tony and ask what machine shop he uses....

Quick Reply: C5 looking to install new ZO6 clutch