Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Help with 04+ C5/C6 fuel systems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 04+ C5/C6 fuel systems.

Hi Guys,

I'm running into a problem with the fuel pressure on my late 03 Z06, I posted this thread on the other site,

Click

Guys with the newer fuel systems, how did you upgrade your fuel system? Any affordable solutions if the pump has to be changed? Would it help if I add the Racetronix harness with the KB BAP?

TIA!
Old 09-17-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I read the other post. There really isn't anything that will help except going with either a complete fuel system change to a pre 2003 fuel tanks and using 97-98 fuel lines/rails with the pressure regulator mounted at the fuel rail with a return line to the tank or the ECS fuel system which adds a second pump and pressure regulator mounted at the fuel rail with a return line to the tank .

Racetronix does sell a fuel pump upgrade. You have to remove your fuel bucket and mail it to Thunder racing for the to install of the upgraded fuel pump. But this wont solve the problem with fuel pressure drop in the lines. This is because in the 03-04 cars the fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter are located in the fuel tank. Under high demand the is a pressure drop in the line from the fuel pressure regulator in the tank and fuel rails in the front of the car......Stupid GM..
Old 09-17-2006, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chriswtx
Ok, I read the other post. There really isn't anything that will help except going with either a complete fuel system change to a pre 2003 fuel tanks and using 97-98 fuel lines/rails with the pressure regulator mounted at the fuel rail with a return line to the tank or the ECS fuel system which adds a second pump and pressure regulator mounted at the fuel rail with a return line to the tank .

Racetronix does sell a fuel pump upgrade. You have to remove your fuel bucket and mail it to Thunder racing for the to install of the upgraded fuel pump. But this wont solve the problem with fuel pressure drop in the lines. This is because in the 03-04 cars the fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter are located in the fuel tank. Under high demand the is a pressure drop in the line from the fuel pressure regulator in the tank and fuel rails in the front of the car......Stupid GM..
Do you how much is the ECS setup?

What I don't get is why the pressure is dropping at 460rwhp even with a BAP? I could understand if it drops at 600rwhp on spray. Did you go with the ECS system? At what power level was your stock fuel system maxed out at?
Old 09-17-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

At 490rwhp I was loosing 10psi of fuel pressure with a BAP. I made my own fuel system, copying the ECS fuel system with a few changes. It cost me $1300 in parts and probably 50hrs of research and design plus installation. The ECS fuel system is $1799...Now I have no fuel pressure drop at all, 58 psi all the way to redline...Several local guys are also running the ECS fuel system with great results. Its really worth the price..
Old 09-17-2006, 06:22 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40

We used and modified the ECS system in the link above. Bob
Old 09-18-2006, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Ouch....So the only solution is a $1800+labor fuel system?? I guess I should've bought a 02 Z06.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:33 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by NeverT00fast
Ouch....So the only solution is a $1800+labor fuel system?? I guess I should've bought a 02 Z06.
It does sound expensive, but it really is inline with other systems that include new fuel rails, fuel line, etc. Bob
Old 09-18-2006, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
It does sound expensive, but it really is inline with other systems that include new fuel rails, fuel line, etc. Bob
I'm not trying to say it's a rip-off. I mean if I was building a 700+rwhp car then I can justify the need for a such fuel system. But if I'm only going to be at 550rwhp, it would've been nice to just throw on a BAP and call it a day like the rest of the people with the older fuel systems.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:55 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

I'm not trying to say it's a rip-off. I mean if I was building a 700+rwhp car then I can justify the need for a such fuel system. But if I'm only going to be at 550rwhp, it would've been nice to just throw on a BAP and call it a day like the rest of the people with the older fuel systems.
At 550 rwhp, you should be okay with a boost a pump, we use them all the time at that power level on the newer ones. Bob
Old 09-18-2006, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
At 550 rwhp, you should be okay with a boost a pump, we use them all the time at that power level on the newer ones. Bob
My tuner also told me that I should be alright with the BAP at 550rwhp. But Chris also had a 10psi drop at only 490rwhp with the BAP.

So, it could be either the BAP has to be relocated to the back and maybe hooked up with a Racetronix harness(If that helps any). Or my ASP underdrive pulley is making the voltage to the fuel pump drop too low. Or I just have a fault pump/filter.

But I wouldn't know how I would check for a faulty pump or filter. If I was to replace them with the stock units, I might as well go for the upgraded aftermarket system.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have your BAP set up for nitrous and not boost. I think they offer it with a WOT switch for NOS instead of a boost switch...I had a 10psi fuel drop with 8psi of boost. With NOS you shouldn't have that much of a drop. You can still tune around the 10psi drop in fuel pressure. I just wasn't comfortable with it...
Old 09-18-2006, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Do you have your BAP set up for nitrous and not boost. I think they offer it with a WOT switch for NOS instead of a boost switch...
It's the NA setup, it came with the pump that turns on by vacuum. I did verify that the BAP is putting out 17volts by going WOT and disconnecting the vacuum line. But wether or not the pump is actually getting the 17volts I don't know, I guess I'd have to take a reading on the wire rigth before the pump.

Yah that's the thing that bothers me. My pressure is dropping to 52psi WITHOUT the nitrous, only on motor at 460rwhp. That's why I suspect it might be a faulty pump/filter.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, who knows then. It could just be a weak factory pump..Sell the NOS, upgrade the fuel system and add boost..
Old 09-18-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also I think Nitrous direct sells a stand alone NOS fuel system for the C5. Think it runs about $895. That would solve your problem..
Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Also I think Nitrous direct sells a stand alone NOS fuel system for the C5. Think it runs about $895. That would solve your problem..
That's a good idea. If I do not go any further with this car, that would be the perfect solution and I'd be saving $1000+.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Ok, took an reading on wiring plug right before the pump, it was getting 16.4ish volts and 12.7 without the BAP turned on. Sooo, I guess either my pump is going bad or the filter is no good. I did kind of notice that when I turn the key to the ign. position the whine of the fuel pump is now very audible.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The fuel pump and filter are all in the same bucket. I'm pretty sure its sold as an assembly. Not cheap from GM.. Maybe a better idea to send it to thunder and have them upgrade the pump. They might be able to service the filter at the same time. Its a pain to drop the gas tank though..A real pain...
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

The fuel pump and filter are all in the same bucket. I'm pretty sure its sold as an assembly. Not cheap from GM.. Maybe a better idea to send it to thunder and have them upgrade the pump. They might be able to service the filter at the same time. Its a pain to drop the gas tank though..A real pain...
I did contact Nitrous Outlet today and inquired about the dedicated fuel system that they carried, Chris told me about a new Racetronix fuel pump that suppose to be plug&play for the newer fuel systems. He said it either comes with it's own fuel bucket or will fit in the stock one. The pump is $299 and another $25 for a new OEM filter.

But I asked him about what you had mentioned earlier about the regulator being in the back and the end result might still be the same even with the upgraded fuel pump, he said he will look into it further. One thing I know is that if I'm going in there to swap out that pump, I won't be putting the OEM unit back in.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

how many miles do you have on your car?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did contact Nitrous Outlet today and inquired about the dedicated fuel system that they carried, Chris told me about a new Racetronix fuel pump that suppose to be plug&play for the newer fuel systems.
I havn't heard about this. Last I heard from racetronix was they had a pump that would fit but you had to send your stock bucket to Thunder for them to install it. But the problem of pressure drop in the line still remains the same. The pressure regulator is in the tank. Its trying to maintain 58-60psi in the 9ft of fuel line in front of it. Where as with the regulator in front at the fuel rail, the fuel rail gets the fuel first and the regulator is last in line.

Quick Reply: Help with 04+ C5/C6 fuel systems.