Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Best clutch and how to for C5 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah man... I got plenty o' pics.

Here's from the first time. It shredded the front coupler... Funny thing was I got NO vibration... only a CLUNK when you shifted or let out the clutch... It as messed up..
http://www.fixedroof.com/driveshaft1

2nd time.. Lil noise. More vibration than normal. and hard to shift. Clutch was slipping bad and could barely move the car. Once we pulled out the tube. The pilot bushing was trashed. Oval shaped hole. The input shaft would move 1/2" back and forth in all directions. It ate up the inside of the slave cylinder from the movement... It was from the play in the bushings since they were cracked. The front bearing in the tube had a lil more play in it than I liked. Prolly due to the movement of the shaft. I replaced the bearing and the couplers with aluminum ones.. Shown in one of the pics.. Some people say not to use 2 aluminum ones, as you might get more noise and vibration. But I know a couple people have done it from what I have read. The late 00 and up cars have the better tube with larger couplers. The 97-early 00 cars have the smaller ones. You can tell easily, which one you have by looking at the rear of the torwqe tube. The earlier one has like 10 bolts that hold the rear of the deal together and the later one just has a huge *** snap ring. We took my buddy's 01 tube apart and it was MINT. No cracks, no nothing. Maybe I just have shitty luck.
http://www.fixedroof.com/driveshaft2

Last edited by Steve01SS; 11-12-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve01SS
Yeah man... I got plenty o' pics.

Here's from the first time. It shredded the front coupler... Funny thing was I got NO vibration... only a CLUNK when you shifted or let out the clutch... It as messed up..
http://www.fixedroof.com/driveshaft1

2nd time.. Lil noise. More vibration than normal. and hard to shift. Clutch was slipping bad and could barely move the car. Once we pulled out the tube. The pilot bushing was trashed. Oval shaped hole. The input shaft would move 1/2" back and forth in all directions. It ate up the inside of the slave cylinder from the movement... It was from the play in the bushings since they were cracked. The front bearing in the tube had a lil more play in it than I liked. Prolly due to the movement of the shaft. I replaced the bearing and the couplers with aluminum ones.. Shown in one of the pics.. Some people say not to use 2 aluminum ones, as you might get more noise and vibration. But I know a couple people have done it from what I have read. The late 00 and up cars have the better tube with larger couplers. The 97-early 00 cars have the smaller ones. You can tell easily, which one you have by looking at the rear of the torwqe tube. The earlier one has like 10 bolts that hold the rear of the deal together and the later one just has a huge *** snap ring. We took my buddy's 01 tube apart and it was MINT. No cracks, no nothing. Maybe I just have shitty luck.
http://www.fixedroof.com/driveshaft2

Hey Steve, thanks alot for all the information. I'm gonna first thing tomorrow look at the Si documents #'s you pm'd me. SHould be useful from what you described. I guess I am just gonna order this stuff, and do it right, all at once. I can't afford to bring the car to work, rack it, start tearing it apart,....then find something broken.

I do have a 2000, so I guess I lucked out there.

Again, I appreciate your time. I think you saved me, alot of mine. Thank you.

Jamie

Quick Reply: Best clutch and how to for C5 Z06?