Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Beware Of The 2007 Shelby Gt500

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your dumbass lives in Texas. Even at 165 it should take you a while to get near me. Street racing is dumb, stupid, and illegal in most parts of the country, perhaps where you live is different, I don't know. Want to kill yourself? Jump out of a high window, just don't land on me, or any other innocent passerby.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Teching In

the moral of the story is that this is a mustang with paper plates, and still rubbing paint up to a 150mph with a Z06. Granted, i did out run him, i was overall pretty amazed, the car has a back seat for god sakes.Also Bubbletop409, this was at 2am with absolutley no traffic on the road, somestimes your ego overrides your "is this safe", thought process. Put your self in that situation, your driving down a highway with no one on it, except you and this brand new 2007 Shelby Gt500, and he gives you a nod. What ever happened to Ford vs. Chevy, well "dumbass" this was the epitome of that. Sorry for my so called stupidity but, I would have blown your *** off the road too............. if you were in his shoes.

Last edited by 525sc777; 11-08-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

I am not worried, I will run my Cam only C5 agianst them, but it will be at the track where bystanders are safe and their is no excuses...
Old 11-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, some of your egos are a little to big to fit in your two seaters. Better race one for real and then pass judgment. Otherwise, assumption is as gay as a bag of ******. Eating your words dont taste good. This is not comming from a mustang lover, this is comming from first hand experience with a C5 Z06 and the shelby. Some of you will be very suprised. And just a tune lets out even more of what the shelby is packing. Also keep in mind, pulley swaps and CAIs are just around the corner and will net you close to upper 500's HP and TQ at the wheels.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

as of right now they are more expensive than LS7 Z06s. it would absolutly destroy that Cobra.

yeah its a fast car but its also very expensive, you wont see as many new slobras out there as you will the 03-04s, which are some really quick cars that can be had cheap. they will sell as many Cobras as chevy sells Z06s.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZXMustang
Wow, some of your egos are a little to big to fit in your two seaters. Better race one for real and then pass judgment. Otherwise, assumption is as gay as a bag of ******. Eating your words dont taste good. This is not comming from a mustang lover, this is comming from first hand experience with a C5 Z06 and the shelby. Some of you will be very suprised. And just a tune lets out even more of what the shelby is packing. Also keep in mind, pulley swaps and CAIs are just around the corner and will net you close to upper 500's HP and TQ at the wheels.
Oh boy. Most all of us are well aware of what blown cobras are capable of. They've been around a while now. Anyway Car and Driver tested the C6 vs. GT 500 and it's a good read. The C6 is usually a couple tenths slower than a C5Z so I think it's a good article for comparison. This is as close as you're gonna get to a legit test. C&D test
Old 11-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Yep, 8,000 units a year for 5 years on the shelby. The 03/04's were much more limited production. I think for 03 there were 12-14 thousand, and for 04 there were like 3768. Mine is one of 299 yellow cobras for 04, and half or so of those were coupes like mine. I feel special....yaay!

Old 11-09-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yep, 8,000 units a year for 5 years on the shelby. The 03/04's were much more limited production. I think for 03 there were 12-14 thousand, and for 04 there were like 3768. Mine is one of 299 yellow cobras for 04, and half or so of those were coupes like mine. I feel special....yaay!

No comment on the C&D test I take it? The most interesting test was the 0-150mph, the C6 was 3.5 seconds faster. Think about that and the fact the original poster said he was only slightly ahead by 150. How close is a car to you at the track if you're running 12.5's and they're running 16.0's? I'll tell you, WAY THE HELL BACK! You may find solice in the fact that the 1/4 were very close but the vette still edged it out.
Morale of the story here is that the thread starter either came across a lightly modded GT500 or his C5Z isn't perfroming up to par.
I think the GT500 is a great looking car with loads of potential but unfortunatley I don't believe it is faster than a 5-year old vette in stock trim.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shelby Gt 500's are like fat chicks, fun to ride but don't let your LS1 friends see you in one. J/K I actually like the GT 500, like to get a chance to hand them their ***.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ZOh6
Oh boy. Most all of us are well aware of what blown cobras are capable of. They've been around a while now. Anyway Car and Driver tested the C6 vs. GT 500 and it's a good read. The C6 is usually a couple tenths slower than a C5Z so I think it's a good article for comparison. This is as close as you're gonna get to a legit test. C&D test

Werd.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Racer

They're SLOW
Old 11-09-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ha, I'd be pissed if that was my GT500, not only did you pay near double for what you shoulda paid, but you got served your ego on a bowtie plate.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02ZOh6
I think the GT500 is a great looking car with loads of potential but unfortunatley I don't believe it is faster than a 5-year old vette in stock trim.

Unfortunatly you be wrong. To base your opinions on what the thread started claimed happen in his so called race, then you would be an idiot. Who knows what really happened or if the shelby driver was even really racing? Its not an excuse in the fords defense, but come on?? Race one your self with a stock C5 Zo6 with video evidence, then you will get your props. Otherwise, all you have is hearsay. Again, my car would hang with a stock shelby, and stock-lightly modded C5 Z06's are no issue for me to spank from a dig or roll. We dont have anywhere around here to race to 175 mph, but I'll bet that your vette would need many many miles to even catch and crawl past me when I top out at 160-165. Those are the facts.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=ZXMustang]
Unfortunatly you be wrong. To base your opinions on what the thread started claimed happen in his so called race, then you would be an idiot. Who knows what really happened or if the shelby driver was even really racing?
Whoa. I have to say I don't really know where your coming from now. Do you really expect a stock GT 500 to handily beat a stock C5Z06? Your take is the GT 500 was pacing the C5Z to 150mph in this thread? You're way out in left field bro. I just showed you a C&D comparison of the 500 vs. the C6 and the 500 was 3.5 secs slower than the C6 to 150mph. That is A LOT of ground between the two cars. The C5Z is a couple tenths faster than the C6 in virtually every mag and the record for the C6 is still a few tenths off. Don't get me wrong though I believe the C6 has the advantage when modded.

Its not an excuse in the fords defense, but come on?? Race one your self with a stock C5 Zo6 with video evidence, then you will get your props.
I'm not looking for props. I run my car for my satisfaction, not for a pat on the back.

Again, my car would hang with a stock shelby
If you run 11.90's your car will beat a stock Shelby.

and stock-lightly modded C5 Z06's are no issue for me to spank from a dig or roll.
The drivers you have faced are lacking. 11.90@116 is not unbeatable for a stock and certainly not a lightly modded Z. A moderator on this forum (J-Rod) has went 11.8's@117 in a bone stock C5Z, right down to the tires. I have also seen bolt-on C5Z's go 11.3's@121 in great conditions. Just say the word and I'll link you to them. Hell, GM High Performance magazine went 11.90's@116 in a bone stock Z.

We dont have anywhere around here to race to 175 mph, but I'll bet that your vette would need many many miles to even catch and crawl past me when I top out at 160-165. Those are the facts.
You're on crack kid. My car ran the same as yours with headers and no tune. My 60ft. was 1.83 at best so I'm not leaving very hard either. The further you go past the 1/4 mark, the worse it's going to get as drag is going to come in big time. I have H/C/I now so I doubt you would pose any threat at all with only bolt-ons. THOSE ARE THE FACTS jack.

BTW, why do you hang out on corvette/LS1 forums anyway? Trade that thing in and quit contemplating. I have not visited a Mustang forum since I sold my Blown Cobra 4-years ago. I really don't understand why someone would waste their time reading articles that are LS1-biased when they don't own one. Just seems like an utter waste of time to me.

Here's a list compiled on the Z06Vette of stock and minor bolt-on cars. These are real racers who know how to drive these cars. Not the handicaps you've been running on the street. I've seen a C5Z run 13.6's@108 at the track so I know damn well they're out there.

Stock and bolton C5Z times

Last edited by 02ZOh6; 11-09-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Either way dude, I know what I have done against a few of them and one in fact had a cam and exhaust. I would love to meet you on the highway and see what you got, and I am big enough to admit when I'm wrong. Like I have said, I respect all rides out there and thats why I am here and at other forums too. Im not a hater like a few of the ego-manaics here, and will give respect where due. Only problem I have, is a few of the so called kills against cobras and shelbys here are questionable at best. Not only that, but you can post as many C&D type articles that you want, but those magazines are so inacurate with their comparo tests and you know it. Over and out.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not only that, but you can post as many C&D type articles that you want, but those magazines are so inacurate with their comparo tests and you know it. Over and out.
I would agree with you when cars are tested at different locations by different drivers on different days. Not in this case though man.
Anyway, how accurate is street race or drag race for that matter when so many variables aren't known such as:
A) DRIVER SKILL
B) MODS
C) DID I MENTION DRIVER SKILL

Take a look at the stock/bolt-on list I linked for you. It will give you some insight into what these cars are capable of. BTW, a guy with a stock C6Z with slicks on the forum just hit 10.85@129. Just thought you'd be interested.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

yeah trying to prove to us that we are wrong is going to be damn near impossible. around here c5z's are low 12s or better all day long, even ford will tell you their car runs 13s flat. and from what i have heard it is a decent amount slower than 03/04 cobras. i dont doubt that with mods the gt500 will do something special, but stock for stock it just IS SLOWER, no way around that...
Old 11-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

That is extremely awesome. I would love to be in the tens. At 3100 lbs, 500hp and slicks I'd better be in the tens...

Old 11-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way dude, I know what I have done against a few of them and one in fact had a cam and exhaust. I would love to meet you on the highway and see what you got, and I am big enough to admit when I'm wrong. Like I have said, I respect all rides out there and thats why I am here and at other forums too. Im not a hater like a few of the ego-manaics here, and will give respect where due. Only problem I have, is a few of the so called kills against cobras and shelbys here are questionable at best. Not only that, but you can post as many C&D type articles that you want, but those magazines are so inacurate with their comparo tests and you know it. Over and out.
I am truly offended by that C&D comment due to the fact they take the TOP mechanical engineers from my school to experiment, formulate and analyze the data they produce from those cars. You only see a couple pages of info that takes Hundreds of hours to produce.It takes ALOT of work to do those comparisons. So until YOU have an M.E Degree in your hands from an Nationally recognized and accredited college I suggest you STFU.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Nobody said anything about the engineers that compile the data, but the drivers and editors that tested the cars are usually where they fall short. Gathering up data vs. putting these cars on the track and street and giving them both a fair run with a nonbaised opinion is the hard part. No offense to you or your school. STFU better mean shut the front door. You wouldnt want to turn our little discussion into a bannable flame war now would you?

Quick Reply: Beware Of The 2007 Shelby Gt500