Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

buying intake manifold -- which one

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default buying intake manifold -- which one

getting ready to mod-- i getting a 90mm ls2 TB tomorrow.... trying to figure which intake manifold to buy --- the fast 90 (lots of money and looks nice) or the PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS--- --the 90 mm one---- what do i do-----
Old 02-28-2007, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

From what I have read the Z06 intake will support plenty of HP until you start forced induction or stroker motor.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Launching!

well i got this 90mm ls2 throttle body... so your saying that the 90mm with the 90mm manifold will not flow more than what i have now... (01 ls6 manifold.)?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard some good things about a LS2 intake for the vette. If you are just looking to add a intake and do nothing else to it then go with the LS2 intake and the Ls2 TB

Otherwise I would and will go with the Fast Lsx 90mm intake. Really good for when you go H/C and if you go with bigger cubes. You can port it bigger and also has the nitrous bungs already in. It all depends on what you are doing to the car now and for the future.

Not sure about the Profressional products one. Any links?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Launching!

well no-- im saving as we speak for the cam and lg headers -- but yeah i just got off the horn -- with the guy from profession products - and wrote me a book -- why his manifold is so good--- and he said it was aluminum--- so it will not explode when there is a backfire -- or whatever-------- and we have a fast 90 at work that exploded on my buddy --jamie's FRC -- "stormtrooper edition".... but yeah.. -- its going to get the whole shabang --I WOULD say in like 2 months....--- its just that i can get the PP manifold for like $420.00---- so yeah;..
Old 02-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned

Your midrange will be a touch soggier with a 90mm intake untill you really start to mod (heads/cam)
Old 02-28-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard alot about aluminum intakes=heat soak. Wether that is totally true I don't kow, but I could see the aluminum intake heating up alot faster and holding heat more than a plastic manifolds.

I would rather have a intake blow than anything else blow, internal motorwise.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would hold off for now until you have mods that will make a difference..

The LS2 intake flows LESS than that LS6 intake you have now despite the TB size. The ports are smaller on the LS2, look at 2 right next to each other and you will see a big difference. The LS2 intake is only good if it's ported. The FAST is a great manifold, but you wont notice any gains with it with what you have now. You will see a loss in TQ with the FAST now. The new PP intake is too new to give many opinions on it. But even if it flows better than the LS6, its a BIG *** ALUMINUM heat sink and you will most likely lose power. This is what happened with the aluminum Holley/Weiand intake.. I would keep that TB in a box til you do a cam or something like that....

Thats just my opinion and I've had my hands on every single one of those manifolds except the new PP.

Steve
Old 02-28-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brandtdavis
From what I have read the Z06 intake will support plenty of HP until you start forced induction or stroker motor.
I ,...eh,...well I have been told by someone who is a semi famous FLOW guy that if you do not have 400 cubic inches then you can not possibly need 90MM Throttle bodies AND giant intake manifolds also there ARE threads ALL over this web site where guys got MORE horse power with LESS!! That said I am doing the only sensible thing I can do, as I'm in the middle of a head cam thing myself ON AN OTHERWISE STOCK LOWER END! I'm getting my throttle body AND my LS6 Intake manifold PORTED??????? W.T.F.?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pastvertical
well i got this 90mm ls2 throttle body... so your saying that the 90mm with the 90mm manifold will not flow more than what i have now... (01 ls6 manifold.)?

Dammit man.... we've been over this a million times every day at work. The STOCK LS2 intake manifold, does NOT, flow as well as your current intake manifold(LS6), although yes, it is smaller(go figure).

I know, from talking to you that you wanna do everything **ALL** at once, which is fine, I fully understand.

The LS6 intake manifold, is a pretty good piece man, at your level right now, no need to change. The PP piece, looks pretty nice, i have to agree. The price, is badass for sure too, which makes it more appealing then the FAST.

My FAST exploded, due to numerous reasons, all of which, I think could have been controlled. I'll personally take the blame for those 4 inch flames that burst from every crack of my hood that night. Crazy ****. SInce then, as you saw today, I have taken the proper steps, to eliminate the possibility of that happening again. Sorry to say, at more cost to myself. The WILSON manifold BURST panels that I installed, are BADASS. Pricy, like 150 or 200. Something. I forgot. But at the time I was like WO, this? two hundred bucks? But, when you think of it, very worth it. EVen for piece of mind.

I have to agree with SteveSS on the intake heat soaking,...to an extent. I was recently talking to a tuneing facility about just this topic. WHat we were talking about was the amount of time, that the air actually spends, getting HOt, or , heat soaking. Thinking about it, it kinda makes sense, that at a certain speed, probably 40, or lets say 60+mph, that the air, would have enough velocity, to help it move quickly enough through all the runners, to not have time to get heated up. Soo...I dunno. I have mixed feelings on this. Half of me agree's with steve, the other half see's a point.

But,in the end, i'm no engineer, and I run a F.A.S.T. 90mm composite manifold at this moment in time. I think if you wanna make REAL power, it's time for a custom piece, designed for YOUR application. The fast, can be ported, and most likely, the proffesional products piece can be as well.

I dunno what to tell you mr.vertical, that I don't preach to you every day at work about, other then, get your long tubes, get your camshaft(springs/etc), and get it tuned. You'll be good to go for a bit. You want more, thorw on a nice, safe, easy 100 shot to the wheels. After that man, just save some money, and buy or, since you have the knowledge, build the **** the way you want it.

It's soo easy man. Soo easy. YOu can be moving pretty fast, for kinda cheap. Headers,camshaft, tune.

Then guess what? Yup, clutch/driveline problems. Welcome to my world BEOTCH! It's a vicious cycle.

See you at the office bastard *****.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Launching!

thanks theere extreme... for that thoughtfull insight... hope your that insighfull when we do my cam next week -- thanks everyone for all the info--- (will keep my setup for and save for that mac daddy clutch..
Old 02-28-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pastvertical
thanks theere extreme... for that thoughtfull insight... hope your that insighfull when we do my cam next week -- thanks everyone for all the info--- (will keep my setup for and save for that mac daddy clutch..

"EXTREME!!" no problem koomie. Just don't wanna see you blow money, when you can make power, right now, without breaking the bank, ya know.

Depending on our work ethic at the time, we'll have the cam done in no time.

Oh.

Buy a crank pulley, I forgot.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Banned

Heat soak-shmeat soak.

My Weiand/Lingenfelter gained low end torque and lost nothing up top compared to the LS6 I took off.

You know how fast that air is movong through there? It barely has time to pick up heat. Not enough to make a difference..

Quick Reply: buying intake manifold -- which one