Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

What EXACTLY is the difference between a C5 and a C5 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
One could say the same thing with the Z06 owners.

I've driven a Z51 coupe with Nitto's. I've ridden several times in an '03 Z06. My car feels tighter than both. The Z06 felt slightly stiffer than the Z51 coupe. Sure the Z06 could turn more heads at a car show. But facts are facts. The Z06 is a slightly lighter car with a mild heads/cam package and more aggressive gearing. If that's worth the premium, knock yourself out.
It's quite clear that you really know little about the Z06. Have you owned both, so as to have a fair comparison? Also, have you really researched the differences, if you had you would see there is no comparison when stockish.
Robert
Old 07-07-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert56
It's quite clear that you really know little about the Z06. Have you owned both, so as to have a fair comparison? Also, have you really researched the differences, if you had you would see there is no comparison when stockish.
Robert
I find that an interesting statement since, to my knowledge, I have hit on all the key differences. Of course there is a difference stock. If you look at what I have written you'll notice I state them clearly. I have said several times that if you want the best out of the box car and have no intention to seriously mod the car. then the Z06 is the best choice. I've had plenty of experience with my own car, an '03 Z06 and a A&A Z51 car. I've pulled all three apart. I'm well aware of where they differ.

Let me put this a different way. If I, as a vendor, offered you the following modifications: 80-100lbs less weight, 4.10 gears, a spring/shock package a bit better than the Z51, and 50 more rwhp for $7-10k would you buy it?
Old 07-07-2007, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find that an interesting statement since, to my knowledge, I have hit on all the key differences. Of course there is a difference stock. If you look at what I have written you'll notice I state them clearly. I have said several times that if you want the best out of the box car and have no intention to seriously mod the car. then the Z06 is the best choice. I've had plenty of experience with my own car, an '03 Z06 and a A&A Z51 car. I've pulled all three apart. I'm well aware of where they differ.

Let me put this a different way. If I, as a vendor, offered you the following modifications: 80-100lbs less weight, 4.10 gears, a spring/shock package a bit better than the Z51, and 50 more rwhp for $7-10k would you buy it?
NO because I wouldn't be getting ANY return on my mods. With a Z06 the resale is 7 to 10k higher, thus costing you NOTHING. See my point? The gap in resale values is also WIDENING and will continue to do so as the cars age....
Old 07-07-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

You seem to make sense, until you look at the real values. My '97 with 50k mileage is worth about 15k these days. But the Z06 still holds in the 30K range or in particular, a low mileage one could easily go mid 30's. Also the C5 Z06 is unique with the body style, and ya just can't get that with the standard fare.

If as vendor you offered these packages, I would pass all the way around. Nitrous is king in mod money terms, and for 500 bucks you can have times like my sig.

It's all good though, if your happy then that's all that matters. I was with my C5 until I drove a Z06 and bought it the same day.
Robert
Old 07-08-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

I picked up a 2004 Z w/ 5,000 miles on it. Machine Silver too! Oh and it came with an ATI STG II already installed

This was after owning two C6's -

Haven't ever looked back. This car kills ....its wicked fast. I'm now looking for a nice set of track tire/wheels and a larger rad.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Resale value on the car is a fair point. Personally I bought the car to mod it and drive it, not as an investment. If I do eventually sell it, I'll turn it back to stock and sell the mods separately. The C5's will probably bottom out in the next few years and I imagine it will be quite a long time before we see them appreciate by a sizable amount. The Z06 will maintain a premium over the other models, though since it was produced in fairly high numbers how much that premium will be is hard to say. And not to nitpick, but the Z06 body style was not unique to the option, it was used on the '99 and '00 hardtop models.

And I agree with you, if you enjoy the car that is what really matters in the end.

Last edited by 99C5JA; 07-09-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The more you mod the Z the more the value drops. It will also take a fall when the C6 gets into the $30s. The resale argument only applies where we all agree, on cars that won't be modded.

For the money I didn't spend in a Z06, I got a Z51 FRC and slapped on a D1 and a cam. I made 600rwhp for less than I would have spent buying a stock Z. The poor guy who bought the Z and wanted to race got waxed every time by a car that looks and handles just like his car.

My Z51 suspension is close enough to the Z that I didn't need more. The breaks have been upgraded way better than the Z's breaks now as well. I can't say I ever regret not spending $10,000 on a name and any Z with similar money in it can't hold a candle to my FRC.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Drewstein
The more you mod the Z the more the value drops. It will also take a fall when the C6 gets into the $30s. The resale argument only applies where we all agree, on cars that won't be modded.
I agree totally here. that's why anything I do to my car can be reverted back to stock, for when it goes up for sale.

For the money I didn't spend in a Z06, I got a Z51 FRC and slapped on a D1 and a cam. I made 600rwhp for less than I would have spent buying a stock Z. The poor guy who bought the Z and wanted to race got waxed every time by a car that looks and handles just like his car.
You just didn't race the right bonestock Z with only spray. 575rwhp and 665rwtq for 500 bucks in mod money.

My Z51 suspension is close enough to the Z that I didn't need more. The breaks have been upgraded way better than the Z's breaks now as well. I can't say I ever regret not spending $10,000 on a name and any Z with similar money in it can't hold a candle to my FRC.
I am sure it's a nasty car, espec with the 402 you now have, but it still is a FRC, not a Z. I went 408 myself and still have the LS6 for resale time. What kind of track times have you run, this will tell whether or not a Z can hold a candle to your FRC
You guys do know that the FRC was supposed to be a low buck entry level Vette. But, sooned morphed into the standard for which all super cars are compared, the Mighty Z06/LS6.
Robert
Old 07-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Launching!

If as vendor you offered these packages, I would pass all the way around. Nitrous is king in mod money terms, and for 500 bucks you can have times like my sig.

Robert
Why did you buy a track oriented car for drag racing then? I was wondering about the big differences between the two models and was wondering if it justified the cost difference also.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys do know that the FRC was supposed to be a low buck entry level Vette. But, sooned morphed into the standard for which all super cars are compared, the Mighty Z06/LS6.
Robert
Lets just say I trap over 140, the ET was kind of sad due to a 2.4 60' lol. Was kick off shortly after for lack of a cage. I also didn't buy my car to only drag. If dragging was all I wanted to do I would have a '98 f-body with one seat in it, a TH400, and a 12-bolt out back.

I raced a Z06 with a MTI 402, a 150 shot and it's not even funny how I walked away from a first gear hit. If he saved that $10K in buying the Z he would have been just as fast because he could have bought the D1 kit as well. I'm thinking about adding a kit to my car on top of the D1 just because I can. It's only $600 and I'll make pretty darn close to 1000rwhp on 109.

The reason the Z06 is what all super cars are compared to is the bang for the buck from the factory. They don't compare cars based on mod-ability which the FRC should win hands down for budget super car builds. For the same money there isn't a Z that can hang with my car and I like it that way, heck I planned it that way when I got my FRC knowing what I was going to do to it.

Oh and check my sig, I made 641rwhp on my stock long block. You know what that would look like against your nitrous numbers in a race right? And I spent less...
Old 07-11-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Exactly. If you are planning on extensive mods there is no need to spend the extra money on the Z06.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

You can make any car fast with money. You just need to ask yourself if status is important to you. If you want the extra attention and respect then get the Z06. It deserves it for coming out so badass from the factory with no mods required. If you don't care about that then yes... get the coupe and sink the money you saved into 'go fast' mods.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the in between car if you're planning on doing mods. A 99-00 FRC, mine will be here monday.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PaulC
Why did you buy a track oriented car for drag racing then? I was wondering about the big differences between the two models and was wondering if it justified the cost difference also.
Just compare the standard C5 drag times to the Z06, not even close. If you want the best of the best with a c5 then the Z06 is the answer, plain and simple. The Z06 is good at everything, even though it was designed primarily as a road racer. See if ya can find a C5 Coupe or a C6 coupe that can run in the 11's with just drag radials, it ain't going to happen.
Robert
Old 07-11-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Drewstein
Lets just say I trap over 140, the ET was kind of sad due to a 2.4 60' lol. Was kick off shortly after for lack of a cage. I also didn't buy my car to only drag. If dragging was all I wanted to do I would have a '98 f-body with one seat in it, a TH400, and a 12-bolt out back.

I raced a Z06 with a MTI 402, a 150 shot and it's not even funny how I walked away from a first gear hit. If he saved that $10K in buying the Z he would have been just as fast because he could have bought the D1 kit as well. I'm thinking about adding a kit to my car on top of the D1 just because I can. It's only $600 and I'll make pretty darn close to 1000rwhp on 109.

The reason the Z06 is what all super cars are compared to is the bang for the buck from the factory. They don't compare cars based on mod-ability which the FRC should win hands down for budget super car builds. For the same money there isn't a Z that can hang with my car and I like it that way, heck I planned it that way when I got my FRC knowing what I was going to do to it.

Oh and check my sig, I made 641rwhp on my stock long block. You know what that would look like against your nitrous numbers in a race right? And I spent less...
Give me a freaking break, no Z06 that can hang with you. Post up your time slip if ya want to back them words up. We have Z06's all the way to low 8's high 7's. By the way a 641rwhp with a whimpy 509rwtq will be a dog compared to a nitrous car of the same HP. Man, I put down 665rwtq, at 3400rpm on a stockblock LS6. It's the torque that gets ya moving and the hp carries you after that. No wonder you can't get a 60"er. I would like to see your dyno sheet also, then i will show you the nitrous dyno that would hand ya your arz.
Now you have 700/600, whew, a nitrous car at 700 can easily put down 800/900rwtq and down low. I am shooting for 700rwhp on my 408, want to take bets on the torque? Unless your going on the very high end of things, concerning turbos, nitrous is king. We have a thread at vetteforum on fastest stock longblock ls6 with any power adder, you know who rules, nitrous of course, and dry hits to be specific (current fastest 10.5x). All the turbo(s), blowers, and wet hits have fallen short. this should give some insight. Anyway, if your happy with your FRC and mods that really is all that counts.
Robert
Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just compare the standard C5 drag times to the Z06, not even close. If you want the best of the best with a c5 then the Z06 is the answer, plain and simple. The Z06 is good at everything, even though it was designed primarily as a road racer. See if ya can find a C5 Coupe or a C6 coupe that can run in the 11's with just drag radials, it ain't going to happen.
Robert
Sigh. Yup lower gearing helps drag racing. Who'd guess that? Add 4.10's, a mild cam to equalize the hp and DR and bingo, you're there. Again the Z06 is a great package from the factory. But it's still just a slightly lighter, slightly stiffer C5 with lower gearing and a very mild heads/cam package for an extra $7-10k. If that's what you're looking for, great.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Geeze, with all of this arguing of which is the best, maybe he should just get a convertable.
FWIW, the coupe may weight a tad bit more, but it also has better aerodynamics. Which is why the new Z06's are a fastback design.
And any coupe can be made to handle as good as a Z06. But I do like the looks of a Z or any FRC better, even though I own a coupe.
My advice, go test drive a few vettes if money is no problem. If you are on a tight budget, then get a coupe.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

ttt...
Old 10-07-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

If all you want to do is go fast in the 1/4 for cheap, get a LSx Z28 or a 5.0 Mustang. I love all C5s, but the hard-tops just "do it" for me. Even the little stuff like the brake vents and nose screens on the Z06 add to the panache. Drive both and get the one that gives the most smiles per dollar.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
If all you want to do is go fast in the 1/4 for cheap, get a LSx Z28 or a 5.0 Mustang. I love all C5s, but the hard-tops just "do it" for me. Even the little stuff like the brake vents and nose screens on the Z06 add to the panache. Drive both and get the one that gives the most smiles per dollar.
I already had an 11-sec T/A and 4 cobra's. I was looking to get a vette.

Quick Reply: What EXACTLY is the difference between a C5 and a C5 Z06?