Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

What EXACTLY is the difference between a C5 and a C5 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread is beating a dead horse. Buy what makes you happy.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VenomInside
I already had an 11-sec T/A and 4 cobra's. I was looking to get a vette.
What I meant, indirectly, was to figure your main goals for the car and go from there. Lightly modded? Z06. Heavily modded? Any C5, with my nod going to the coupe because of money left over for mods.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
What I meant, indirectly, was to figure your main goals for the car and go from there. Lightly modded? Z06. Heavily modded? Any C5, with my nod going to the coupe because of money left over for mods.
Gotcha. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Mods would be Heads/cam/intake/full exhaust. So i am assuming Z06 based on what you said above.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

If you leave cars stock, then the z06 is the obvious choice in every category.

If you mod, you need to determine how much it would cost to go either route and get where you want to be.

If you're a bolt-on guy, look at it this way, you could get a built m12 tranny, better heads and cam, and better suspension for $5,000 or less in parts. If the z06 is $10,000 more than the coupe, go with the coupe. If the difference is under $10,000, why not go z06?

If you want a blower/turbo, save your $$$ and get a coupe.

If you want an auto, you obviously should get a coupe.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get what you pay for. My Z06 still goes for 37k, while my coupe went for 17k. So, getting a Z06 has many benifits if ya can aford one, like holding the better value upon resale/trade in. Coupes are a dime a dozen also, nothing special there, but a Z06 you will get people flocking around it everywhere you go.
Robert
Old 10-07-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What Robert56 said.

If anything, go for the FRC, unless targa is your thing.

Besides, you can always say "I got a Z06"
Old 10-08-2007, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OKcruising

If anything, go for the FRC, unless targa is your thing.

Besides, you can always say "I got a Z06"
only fools would say I have a Z06 while owning a FRC

...i got the best of both worlds... a FRC pretty cheap, with a M12 tranny... ls6 intake ok - $350 to spend, no problem... Z51 suspension ok - upgrading anyways (no more that $1000 total) and will be doing cam, heads and stroker soon... all in all the Z06 price isn't even close
Old 10-08-2007, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gotcha. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Mods would be Heads/cam/intake/full exhaust. So i am assuming Z06 based on what you said above.
Hmmm. You're negating the LS6's heads/cam/intake advantage anyway...probably the tires too. In your shoes, I'd probably go for the coupe unless you really like the fixed-roof body. Will you be road-tracking the car?

PS- I love your sig. Shirley Manson is hawt!
Old 10-08-2007, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by will82
If you leave cars stock, then the z06 is the obvious choice in every category.

If you mod, you need to determine how much it would cost to go either route and get where you want to be.

If you're a bolt-on guy, look at it this way, you could get a built m12 tranny, better heads and cam, and better suspension for $5,000 or less in parts. If the z06 is $10,000 more than the coupe, go with the coupe. If the difference is under $10,000, why not go z06?

If you want a blower/turbo, save your $$$ and get a coupe.

If you want an auto, you obviously should get a coupe.
While I agree with most of this post, I think a blower ONLY application on a Z06 is an excellent set-up. But then you are out almost $10K on top of the $5-10K premium you pay for the Z06...
Old 10-08-2007, 05:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert56
Coupes are a dime a dozen also, nothing special there, but a Z06 you will get people flocking around it everywhere you go.
Robert
While I am not trying to stir the pot, this is a valid point. The same casual car enthusiast that would walk by a row of sweet Trans-Ams or Z28s to drool over a stock WS6 or SS will have the same reaction in imediately gravitating to a Z06. The first question you get after telling someone even remotely interested in cars that you bought a C5 is: "Is it a Z06?"
My father-in-law has a cherry, and I mean gorgeous, 2001 Magnetic Red M6 Vette. Want to take a poll on how many people will barely give it a cursory inspection it if I park my Z06 next to it? I'm not trying to brag, just telling you the public mind-set... I love all C5s (as well as most any Vette), so you really can't lose with any of them IMHO...
Old 10-08-2007, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

Hmmm. You're negating the LS6's heads/cam/intake advantage anyway...probably the tires too. In your shoes, I'd probably go for the coupe unless you really like the fixed-roof body. Will you be road-tracking the car?

PS- I love your sig. Shirley Manson is hawt!
It would be for street/strip. I don't really dig the whole road course thing. That's just me.

Yes, shirley is hot!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

It would be for street/strip. I don't really dig the whole road course thing. That's just me.

Yes, shirley is hot!
Street/strip H/C/I/E? I think you should go with a coupe and spend the extra money on mods.

Shirley/Garbage doing "Not My Idea" = great driving music!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Street/strip H/C/I/E? I think you should go with a coupe and spend the extra money on mods.

Shirley/Garbage doing "Not My Idea" = great driving music!

Sweet
Old 10-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

In my case I really didnt want a Z06. I have plenty of vehicles and didnt want to pay $30k for a car I rarely drive. I paid roughly half that put h/c/i, n20, wheels/tires converter etc.. and get to take the top off for a nice drive or whatever I feel like. It still handles well and draws attention, most of those people who drool because its a Z06 are either young or dont know much about cars. Im only 25 but could careless about impressing some high school kids or someone who couldnt even really tell you what an LS6 is. Their the same people that think the Z06 to the coupe is like comparing an SS to a Z28 having no idea of the real differences which are HUGE.

Now if it were going to be my only car I would buy a Z06 and put the best of the best **** on it but like I said this car isnt a real priority to me and everyone seems to like it just fine how it is. I have a 93 mustang for a drag car, 07 cummins for a DD, 03 6.0psd getting a built motor and compounds etc... and still, going to the dunes on my quads is where its really at for me anyways. So take my opinion w/ a grain of salt.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

RrCoX22,

I should have clarified my post, those were two separate thoughts.

Having a Z06, means you can say "I have a Z06"
Going the FRC route is cheaper and you get the good chassis to start with.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I agree the FRC is a great platform for modding, and unique enough to stand out. They are also the rarest car and someday that may make the rpices climb. But for now they are the best bargain imo. i would love to have one just for a drag race car.

On the guy that thinks only high school kids flock around the Z06, your wrong. I take mine to drags every chance I get, and I get mobbed, the crowds will by pass all the C5s and head straight for the Z06s, and bypassing most other makes/models on their way. Sometimes it's very irratating, trying to get ready for a pass and someone wants info. The most often asked question I get "What's your fastest time". You know why, because there aren't any quicker/faster cars right out of the box, except the new Z06. But anyway, any C5 is or can be a exotic killer.

Robert
Old 10-09-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03BlackWidow
Their the same people that think the Z06 to the coupe is like comparing an SS to a Z28 having no idea of the real differences which are HUGE.
I'm still trying to figure this out. Are you implying that the differences between a Z28 and SS are huge? If so, you don't know any better than the people you are describing. If you are saying that the differences between the Z06 and coupe are huge, then you are undermining your own position.
Either way, I would edit the post and say that I was drunk at the time...
Old 10-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Im saying most worship the name not knowing what the car really is. You buy a Z06 because of the total package, they drool over it because it has a special name. Those are the people that I bet couldnt even tell you the difference between an LS1 and LS6. The real car guys that know what they are and respect them but I think look to see whats done to the car not just how its released from the factory. You follow me? We care more about what you've done over what you've bought from the dealer vs. high school kids worshiping a name they read in a magazine.

I had a 2000 SS and people would talk like a Z28 was a peice of trash not knowing that its generally just cosmetics. That kind of ignorance is just really irratating to me.

Dont get me wrong I really like Z06's just get annoyed by stupid people.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im saying most worship the name not knowing what the car really is. You buy a Z06 because of the total package, they drool over it because it has a special name. Those are the people that I bet couldnt even tell you the difference between an LS1 and LS6. The real car guys that know what they are and respect them but I think look to see whats done to the car not just how its released from the factory. You follow me? We care more about what you've done over what you've bought from the dealer vs. high school kids worshiping a name they read in a magazine.

I had a 2000 SS and people would talk like a Z28 was a peice of trash not knowing that its generally just cosmetics. That kind of ignorance is just really irratating to me.

Ah, that makes sense! I agree that the SS vs Z28 and coupe vs Z06 is not a big deal to most truly informed people, but honestly most people have minimal knowledge. They know just enogh to assume that one is "better" than the other. It doesn't make it right, but that's the way it is. Trust me, I have people get dissapointed when they find out my Z28 isn't a SS.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how you hit the nail on the head.

Case in point, last time I was at the track, not one person even glanced a 2nd time at my car. Until I trapped 125, then several people mobbed me in the pits asking what was going on because it didn't look nor sound like it would do that.

Quick Reply: What EXACTLY is the difference between a C5 and a C5 Z06?