Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

yaaay, got the column lock, 2hrs from home

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking yaaay, got the column lock, 2hrs from home

MOTHERF#%&@R..... what a PITA, so I was allmost 2hrs from home, inthe middle of las vegas (on the top level of a parking garage where a tow truck couldnt get to anyway).... when I get to my car around 11pm, start it up and the steering wheel dosent unlock, umm, pulling key and waiting 10sec. does nothing but give you more time to go mentol.... took about 30min. but when I finally got the wheel unlocked from jerking it left and right while turning the key on and off, I find out that if my spedo reads anything, the car shuts down .. luckily I had my tools and disconnecting the batt. for 15min. reset the "service column lock" and I was able to drive home, I havent done anything w/it yet, looks like I need to order the CLB mod., I'm not about to let the dealer plug into my pcm... I never had a problem so I thought maybe it was just a fluke thing, but I guess all of the vette's will do this someday, and it wont happen when your 5min. from home iether... but if it does lock, I now know it can be unlocked and driven home, just do these 4 steps, 1. go crazy, 2. take out agression on steering wheel, 3. reset pcm, and 4.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do yourself a favor after you get the clb installed...

take that pin assembly out from behind the steering wheel, I know that the little hookup retracts it, but i can hear mine lighly clanking in there from time to time, so i took the damn thing out of there.!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Teching In

My story is interesting as well. When I bought the car I was getting off of thoes errors. Though i just used to turn all electronics off and turn the key slowly and hold the steering wheel and it would unlock. I call up the chevy dealership and tell them about the problem and they ask for my vin. Anyways, it turns out that my car has already had the recall done on it and they wont fix it. Well I started yelling and bitc*ing and demanded to talk to the manager. In the end I got my car fixed for free w/ and expired warranty. But why do you say to not let the dealer touch your PCM (is your car stock)?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Been there done that..If it happens turn the locked wheel hard to either direction then turn the key slowly to the on position.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just went preemptive on it and bought a CLB they are only like $50 or something that way I never have to worry about it.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

I installed the CLB for just peace of mind...well worth it, just the tow will cost more than then the part.....