Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Save Me!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save Me!!

07 c6 vette test pipe emergency!!!

long story short was on a road trip from NC to columbus, GA(where the car is now). somehow debris got into the motor and it blew. covered under warranty but not until now did they say that they'll fix it and put a whole new motor in, but the waranty is void rom bumper to bumper from the minute i get it back. reason is that i have test pipes. well, i need to trade someone their cats or my test pipes. no extra $ just even trade so that i can keep the warranty.

call cell at 614-477-6843 or email at boostdgli@gmail.com i interested or have any advice

ok, long story of how i got **** on by BH....

was driving to columbus, ga and was about 30 miles away when this happened. i called BH but they said i needed to bring it to them. i talked to 3 dierent people (as i thought maybe bad gas because i had to stop in some shitty gas station that only had 92 and was shady anyways) trying to troubleshoot. well only 1 offered to call a tow truck for me. didn't even think to tell me about the free towing(didnt think it was as big of an issue as i soon found out to be and didn't even think about it). my wife called her dad because we were going down there and he brought a trailer out to trailer it to BH.
the next day they call and say its a blown motor and it is covered under warranty. ok awsome! well i live in NC so i needed a rental. he tells me that i will get one but will have to pay or the days i take to get there(im in the army and cant just go on a road trip to get my car when i want.). but i talk to the supervisor and that gets taken care of. i tried to get a car since they were trying to give me a truck so that i wouldnt have to spend $200 on gas on the drive home. they say they dont have any. so they ironically give me an 08 silverado 1500 o the lot with 13 miles on it. i watched him tear the sticker out of the window...great, why not pull a car off the lot? .... now its time to go look at the car and see whats going on. they had the valve cover pulled off and a spark plug with a negative gap rom the piston hitting it. i see out of the corner off my eye that the inspection sheet is not filled out yet but dated for that day. i leave or the day but 'J' calls me and says that he ust got a call from gm and they authorized the heads to be pulled off. its 4pm
the next day around 5ish i head up there since i hadnt heard anything. well i went straight back to the car before talking to 'J' and saw that the valve cover was sitting on my bare ront bumper, spark plug wire and coil packs sitting on my bare windshield, then the inspection sheet dated or the day prior, STILL BLANK! so thanks to my handy-dandy camera phone i collected up the evidence. also it had been untouched since 2pm the day prior. the kicker is that a tech walks up to me and i ask why nothing has been touched and he tells me that he is waiting on gm to approve him to take the heads off! wtf?! i went up to the front to talk to 'J' and see what updates he had. he tries to lead me in circles of vague answers. so i tell him that i was just at the car and what i saw (minus the inspection sheet) he gets flustered and irritated and says he needs to deal with another customer now beore me. i walked out laughing because the supervisor was right there and ignored everything that was said.
i leave it alone for the remainder of the weekend, but manage to get my wifes dad to check up on it requently since hes a bit of a motor head and knows what hes looking at.
i believe it is now tuesday and 'J' calls to tell me that they are ordering a whole motor and to expect it around friday. ok awsome, we are progressing forward
today is friday and i get a call that i need to call back, well im at work and cant but my wifes dad calls to say he talked to them and my warranty is void because i have no cats. the new motor is warrantied, but after the first time turned over then it is void bumper to bumper. at this point i have no options other than the one to post on here an even trade to expidite the process and maintain my warranty. does anyone have any alternatives to this or am i just SOL? i appologize or the lengthy story but it is the shortest way to portray the whole situation. i will accept any advice as it can do nothing but help thank you for taking the time to read my novel

Last edited by boostdgli; 08-27-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to sound dumb... but what are test pipes. I can't say i've heard of them.. I assume these are like a connecting pipe that replaces your cats..

They already have your car and know that you dont' have cats.. they can pull their cell phones out and prove that. It's only void if you turn the motor on without cats.. ok.. fine... don't turn the motor on until you have cats.. .Have them use GM factory cats and install them for you.. Problem solved... They will rape you on the install but oh well..
Old 08-18-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dude your making it harder than it really is! Just buy some GM cats, have them install them instead the test pipes and problem solved, End of story and you have your warranty! But like MagiC5 said they will rape you on the cats prisewise, but its better than getting screwed on your warranty IMO!! C'mon bro u drive a damn C6 im sure u can afford some damn cats! LOL
Old 08-18-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by boostdgli
07 c6 vette test pipe emergency!!!

long story short was on a road trip from NC to columbus, GA(where the car is now). somehow debris got into the motor and it blew. covered under warranty but not until now did they say that they'll fix it and put a whole new motor in, but the waranty is void rom bumper to bumper from the minute i get it back. reason is that i have test pipes. well, i need to trade someone their cats or my test pipes. no extra $ just even trade so that i can keep the warranty.

call cell at 614-477-6843 or email at boostdgli@gmail.com i interested or have any advice

ok, long story of how i got **** on by bill heard....

was driving to columbus, ga and was about 30 miles away when this happened. i called BH but they said i needed to bring it to them. i talked to 3 dierent people (as i thought maybe bad gas because i had to stop in some shitty gas station that only had 92 and was shady anyways) trying to troubleshoot. well only 1 offered to call a tow truck for me. didn't even think to tell me about the free towing(didnt think it was as big of an issue as i soon found out to be and didn't even think about it). my wife called her dad because we were going down there and he brought a trailer out to trailer it to BH.
the next day they call and say its a blown motor and it is covered under warranty. ok awsome! well i live in NC so i needed a rental. he tells me that i will get one but will have to pay or the days i take to get there(im in the army and cant just go on a road trip to get my car when i want.). but i talk to the supervisor and that gets taken care of. i tried to get a car since they were trying to give me a truck so that i wouldnt have to spend $200 on gas on the drive home. they say they dont have any. so they ironically give me an 08 silverado 1500 o the lot with 13 miles on it. i watched him tear the sticker out of the window...great, why not pull a car off the lot? .... now its time to go look at the car and see whats going on. they had the valve cover pulled off and a spark plug with a negative gap rom the piston hitting it. i see out of the corner o my eye that the inspection sheet is not filled out yet but dated for that day. i leave or the day but 'J' calls me and says that he ust got a call from gm and they authorized the heads to be pulled off. its 4pm
the next day around 5ish i head up there since i hadnt heard anything. well i went straight back to the car before talking to 'J' and saw that the valve cover was sitting on my bare ront bumper, spark plug wire and coil packs sitting on my bare windshield, then the inspection sheet dated or the day prior, STILL BLANK! so thanks to my handy-dandy camera phone i collected up the evidence. also it had been untouched since 2pm the day prior. the kicker is that a tech walks up to me and i ask why nothing has been touched and he tells me that he is waiting on gm to approve him to take the heads off! wtf?! i went up to the front to talk to 'J' and see what updates he had. he tries to lead me in circles of vague answers. so i tell him that i was just at the car and what i saw (minus the inspection sheet) he gets flustered and irritated and says he needs to deal with another customer now beore me. i walked out laughing because the supervisor was right there and ignored everything that was said.
i leave it alone for the remainder of the weekend, but manage to get my wifes dad to check up on it requently since hes a bit of a motor head and knows what hes looking at.
i believe it is now tuesday and 'J' calls to tell me that they are ordering a whole motor and to expect it around friday. ok awsome, we are progressing forward
today is friday and i get a call that i need to call back, well im at work and cant but my wifes dad calls to say he talked to them and my warranty is void because i have no cats. the new motor is warrantied, but after the first time turned over then it is void bumper to bumper. at this point i have no options other than the one to post on here an even trade to expidite the process and maintain my warranty. does anyone have any alternatives to this or am i just SOL? i appologize or the lengthy story but it is the shortest way to portray the whole situation. i will accept any advice as it can do nothing but help thank you for taking the time to read my novel

OK, this is probably a retarded question, but why would not having CATS void a warranty? I thought they were there just to clean exhaust??? What do they do exactly?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:19 PM

well, i would do that if the factory cats werent quoted to me to be $2600. plus i am about to sell my car anyways and dont think it is gonna be easy to sell a car with not very many miles and a completely void warranty. unless i trade it in. im just in a really crazy situation right now. but they told me if i had the cats back on then id be fine. so im really just looking to help someone out with some test pipes(pipes that replace the cats) or an even out trade. i was gonna do it anyways, but now is a little more urgent than planned. i am really just asking for a little help or advice.

honestly, i dont know why it voids the whole warranty, i thought it only voided things it affects, but who knows?
Old 08-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Launching!

^^ that was my understanding on warranties as well. IF that was the case you would never see modified brand new cars... I think the stealership is ******* with you... you have already disclosed on how shady the operation is.

Don't pay the GM prices tell them to **** of on those prices. You will have it towed to a local exhaust shop... once the car leaves the lot they will have no way of telling you didn't put the cats on... ALSO it's illegal for them to void the warranty because you had the car serviced by another ASE certified mech. So if you want to play straight send it to a local shop and pay the $50 tow plus whatever they charge for the cats or have it towed to your house and dont' tell them...

I would have told them were to stick if they tried to tell me cats cost $2600.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:22 AM

sounds like a plan to me. i'll tell them what im doing and see what they say.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

I would tell that dealership to go out into the street and play go f*ck its self. Before going to another dealership, check out some local exhaust shops. They can order factory parts, ie cats, and install them without affecting the warranty.

Keith
Old 08-21-2007, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

check corvette forum, if you need cats,
I just found these with a quick search there gutted but you get the idea
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1791133

Last edited by PA Z06; 08-21-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:14 PM

Have a tow truck tow it away and say its going to an exhaust shop. Have him drop it around the corner and go on about your business. That’s what I would do.

Either that or say you’re having it towed to a different dealership because you were not happy with the service. If they don’t see you start it they cant void anything.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by PA Z06
check corvette forum, if you need cats,
I just found these with a quick search there gutted but you get the idea
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1791133

thanks a bunch, i sent him a pm. hopefully i hear back soon. thanks for all the help from everyone. these guys can be tricky sometimes.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:41 AM
12 Second Club

thanks a bunch, i sent him a pm. hopefully i hear back soon. thanks for all the help from everyone. these guys can be tricky sometimes.
but those cats are gutted, that will prob make a difference to the stealership, I found that within 2 minutes of searching, you might want to buy regular cats to save all the hassle.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:52 PM

so, i spoke with the dealership today and told them that i have the cats and wanted to have it towed to a muffler shop so i didn't have to pay some crazy amount. well, he told me that if the car leaves the lot, towed or not the warranty is void. he said i needed to have them do it and they are gonna charge me just under $400 to put them on and 'reset the ecu' which doesnt need anything reset. just unplug the ecu for 15 minutes, but whatever, its the dealership. so i am at a complete loss of ideas. just when i tought they couldnt mess with me any more...

i even told them i'd get them a copy of the reciept from the muffler shop and they said no....i guess i need to talk with a manager or something. wtf....
Old 08-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Google "Bill Heard Problems", just to give you an idea of what type of Dealership you are dealing with.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:07 AM
Teching In

so, i spoke with the dealership today and told them that i have the cats and wanted to have it towed to a muffler shop so i didn't have to pay some crazy amount. well, he told me that if the car leaves the lot, towed or not the warranty is void. he said i needed to have them do it and they are gonna charge me just under $400 to put them on and 'reset the ecu' which doesnt need anything reset. just unplug the ecu for 15 minutes, but whatever, its the dealership. so i am at a complete loss of ideas. just when i tought they couldnt mess with me any more...

i even told them i'd get them a copy of the reciept from the muffler shop and they said no....i guess i need to talk with a manager or something. wtf....
This is my first post, but I feel compelled to respond to this.
Let the dealership do what they have to do and get your car fixed. I know that is probably not what you want to hear, but if I were you, I would just chock this up to a hard lesson learned.
I am not flaming anybody for modding their car, but if you choose to do so, do it with the full realization that if your $45,000+ car has a 4 digit problem that you just might have to suck it up and pay the price of admission into the "modders club". You have to pay to play
Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

well, he told me that if the car leaves the lot, towed or not the warranty is void.
That is the biggest load of **** I have ever heard. Have the human put that in writing so you can forward it your lawyer the GM head office. A strealership is not the only place where warranty work can be done!

Keith

Last edited by ls1290; 08-23-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1290
That is the biggest load of **** I have ever heard. Have the human drop that in writing so you can forward it your lawyer the GM head office. A strealership is not the only place where warranty work can be done!

Keith
Dude, open your eyes! The dealership is doing him a favor. He took the cats off the car. A mod like that (if he is running it on the street, its illegal) can automatically void his warranty. They could just tell him to take his car and get a new engine on his own, but they are giving him the opportunity to save his warranty. Are they supposed to put his cats (that he shouldn't have taken off in the first place) back on for free, AND replace his engine under warranty?

The guys just needs to pay the cash to have the cats put back on and get his engine replaced and move on.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
Dude, open your eyes! The dealership is doing him a favor. He took the cats off the car. A mod like that (if he is running it on the street, its illegal) can automatically void his warranty. They could just tell him to take his car and get a new engine on his own, but they are giving him the opportunity to save his warranty. Are they supposed to put his cats (that he shouldn't have taken off in the first place) back on for free, AND replace his engine under warranty?

The guys just needs to pay the cash to have the cats put back on and get his engine replaced and move on.
They can't Void his warranty thanks to the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (Federal law). Basically it states that a warrantied item's failure has to be proven by the dealership/manufacturer to relate to a part of modification before the warranty can be denied. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer/dealership.

I don't see how a warranty can be arbitrarily voided for a cat converter delete.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99

Boy you must be the local dealership customer of the month quite a bit.

First off a dealer just can not void a warranty. First there has to be a damaged part. Next the dealer has to have proof the customer did something on purpose to cause the damage. Next the dealer has to submit the case to GM to have them verify and approve it. Simply taking off a part is not grounds for a warranty to be voided. The dealer is simply trying to scare the person into paying a bunch of money.

I would still take the car somewhere else as fast as you can.

Keith
Old 08-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1290
Boy you must be the local dealership customer of the month quite a bit.

First off a dealer just can not void a warranty. First there has to be a damaged part. Next the dealer has to have proof the customer did something on purpose to cause the damage. Next the dealer has to submit the case to GM to have them verify and approve it. Simply taking off a part is not grounds for a warranty to be voided. The dealer is simply trying to scare the person into paying a bunch of money.

I would still take the car somewhere else as fast as you can.

Keith
Dude, in order for the OP to run that car minus the cats and not have it throw codes like crazy and/or run like crap, he had to have the ECM reprogrammed (which is why he doesn't want the dealer to reflash his ECM after they put the cats back on) Even if they allowed him to take the car to a muffler shop, put the GM cats on and bring it back to the dealer, the dealer will still reflash his ECM back to stock so that it will run like it is supposed to (unless he has other mods that he is not disclosing to the dealer).

Cats are a required item on any car run on public roads. You can spout off Magnusson-Moss all you want, but GM can and will void your warranty if you make a major mod like deleting the cats. The dealer could have told him to pound sand by now if they wanted to.

Again, I am all for making your car (its YOUR car) over the way you want it. But don't expect warranty service if something goes wrong afterwards. The guy should have known that was the chance he was taking the moment he decided to mod the car.

Quick Reply: Save Me!!