Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Black car owners: please respond

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black car owners: please respond

I'm seriously considering an 08 coupe. Not really diggin' the new blue (loved the older, darker blue) although I might like it more if I saw it in person...Anyway, black looks pretty good though! I've already asked a couple of your opinions, but would like some more input as to whether the good looks of black is worth the long term extra effort of keeping it look good. I am very picky, and it would drive me nuts to have an unclean vette!

Question: I know that to keep a black car looking good, it has to be washed constantly as it shows EVERYTHING! Is it worth it...would you buy another black car? And if not, what color would you prefer (I have my own opinion, just looking for what you like too)

Thanks for your opinions!

Reese
Old 09-23-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pm'd you about this DOC. They look the best when freshly washed but the minute anything gets on them it stands out like a sore thumb. If you don't mind the extra maintainence then its worth it. I myself will never buy another black car. I wanted Pewter but wasn't available in 2000. Pewter hides everythng. Good luck with your choice. Glad to hear you are going to get back into a Corvette. Business must be going well.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Doug, got the PM, just curious as to the majority of the black car owners out there.

Business is going well, but it's really my own ridiculously strong will to own another that's getting me. I've missed my gal from the moment I left her at the dealership for a family vehicle...UGH!
Old 09-23-2007, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

The vette is my 3rd black car. I love the look of a fresh washed black car. But they do get dirty fast, but even so, i've had people tell me my car looks amazing even with rainspots COVERING it.
Plus black I love the look of a black car with polarized sunglasses!
Old 09-23-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigleman
The vette is my 3rd black car. I love the look of a fresh washed black car. But they do get dirty fast, but even so, i've had people tell me my car looks amazing even with rainspots COVERING it.
Plus black I love the look of a black car with polarized sunglasses!

Car looks amazing man! big props!

RT
Old 09-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Banned

My last two cars were black. Never again, unless it's another garage queen that I never drive.

If my red Zo6 (that I daily drive) was black I would've gone nuts by now.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned

i have a black C5 and its hard to keep it clean, gets dirty quick
Old 09-23-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Uh its not a vette, but I have a black camaro. With black wheels no less...

Honestly, I think it looks hot, but it really does drive me nuts. Im kinda picky about my car being clean, and this thing just keeps me working every day practically. Especially because I live in the desert.

If I had it to do over again, I would get a white one. And I REALLY REALLY love the way the newer vettes look in white.

*sigh* but at the end of the day....my black car gets sooo many compliments about the paint, even if its a little dirty from dust. Its shiney even under a thin layer of dust.

haha pretty much flip a coin
Old 09-23-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have a black one and although i HATE having to wash it all the time(wash it almost EVERY day, no lie) but when it's clean it's the SEXIEST color you can have Here's a couple of mine after a 300 mile trip through the black hills and on some dusty(not gravel) roads. looks ok for black

Old 09-23-2007, 10:28 PM
MJD
12 Second Club

I love having a black car even though it takes a little more work to keep it looking good. One item that will save you countless hours of washing is a california duster. My car rarely sees rain and by using the duster I can keep it looking good without having to wash it. Best twenty bucks I ever spent.

http://www.californiacardusters.com/...carduster.html
Old 09-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Teching In

I kind of like the black and the lemans blue. Not really crazy about the new Jetstream blue. Red is ok.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys! Beautiful cars...all of them!

RT
Old 09-24-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dang M3Corvette, you have quite a stable of rides! Very nice! Looks like one for each day, right?

Old 09-24-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

Well all I used to buy was Black cars (until now since I dont really have time to maintain them) My 03 Cobra was my last black car and I swore then that I didnt want black, but got a good price on it. All things considered, if I was buying new I would never buy black again. Its too much of a PITA to keep clean. Also no matter what you do you will always get swirl marks, and that drives me crazy on black. Good luck with your purchase, and I agree im not digging the new blue.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DocT
Dang M3Corvette, you have quite a stable of rides! Very nice! Looks like one for each day, right?

Thanks Doc. I got the red C6 for my wife....................................it keeps her out of my rides!!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by M3Corvette
Thanks Doc. I got the red C6 for my wife....................................it keeps her out of my rides!!

I hear ya on that! Gotta keep momma happy too, don't we!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Well all I used to buy was Black cars (until now since I dont really have time to maintain them) My 03 Cobra was my last black car and I swore then that I didnt want black, but got a good price on it. All things considered, if I was buying new I would never buy black again. Its too much of a PITA to keep clean. Also no matter what you do you will always get swirl marks, and that drives me crazy on black. Good luck with your purchase, and I agree im not digging the new blue.

Thanks for the input, black looks so good. But I know that I'd be exactly like you said, driven crazy about imperfections, swirls, etc. The atomic orange looks good too, but I'm not sure whether I'd be happy with it in a few years from now though. Red is too popular of a color and I'm not crazy about it on the C6 (loved the red C5Z though), yellow...nah, new blue...well, maybe I'd like it in person, but on all the pics, just looks too soft, CRM...too much of a maroon for my taste. Guess that just leaves silver and white with the poss of atomic orange. decisions, decisions, decisions!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Doc, I say with the colors you have narrowed down to, you should get the white. Maybe the atomic orange. I'd go white though.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

we have a balck and a red one the red is easy to keep clean but when the black is clean its the ****
Attached Thumbnails Black car owners:  please respond-07corvette5.jpg  
Old 09-24-2007, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

try this way

Quick Reply: Black car owners: please respond