Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Anyone built a drivetrain dolly for a C5/C6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone built a drivetrain dolly for a C5/C6?

Like the title says, anybody out there built a steel drivetrain dolly to drop the front end/engine, torque tube, and rearend/trans out in one big unit? Like the dolly pictured in Will Hanzel's book? I called W2W and asked about the plans that the books says they offer, but apparently that was missinformation as they DO NOT sell plans for such a dolly. Just checking to see if someone can save me some time and energy in the planning phase of this project. I've got to flycut the pistons, replace the heads cam, rebuild the trans and replace the differential seal (might add a DTE diff. brace as well). It would be nice to just drop it all down at once and not have to dick around seperating it piece by piece...

So anyone done it? Any advice?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry no helping info here However i'm all ears on this thread of a how to dropping everything out the bottom!! I still can't figure out how guys are taking transmissions in and out in 6hrs
Old 01-24-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i use to drop auto trans in 1.5 hours and 6 speeds in 2 hrs... it can be done....when working aganist the clock.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:50 AM
TECH Regular

6 hrs is easy, I could probably do it in 3. When I broke the main shaft in the tranny in my FRC we took it out in about 3 hours and 3 to re-install everything. It helps that we had a lift at a friends house that we used, but that with a tranny jack it's very easy.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, to pop off the rear end you just unbolt the rear subframe and lower it enough to slide it off the trans. You just need to be carefull not to drop the rear down to low as you will crack the firewall!

Now back to the original topic, anyone built one of these dollys?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Launching!

I just used a HD cart under the engine and a movers dolly under the rear. That seemed to work fine.

Regarding the W2W unit in the book, I was contimplating one for my project. I'd think that all you'd have to do is jack up the car and measure the center to centers on the 4 lifting points and fab up the cradle frame to what ever height you want it to be at. The pictures in the book should give enough detail I think. For the center cradle under the torque tube I'd make it adjustable in height so you wouldn't have to be exact on the measurement.

Good luck with it!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SCvette: Thanks for the tips. I thought about using the moving dollys but I did that route with my F-Body front end/engine and it was a bitch to manuever around...I can't imagine what a pain it would be with the vette drivetrain (old uneven floor and crappy casters). I've got the space to store the dolly, so as soon as my 71 vette gets off the lift I'll take the measurements and weld it up. I was just trying to save some time in the process. After I get the plans drawn up I'll post 'em up here for others to use.

Right now I'm planning on using 3" square tubing and heavy duty casters from mcmaster.com, and some 1.5" steel dowels to set the drivetrain on. We'll see how it goes...
Old 01-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NassyVette
SCvette: Thanks for the tips. I thought about using the moving dollys but I did that route with my F-Body front end/engine and it was a bitch to manuever around...I can't imagine what a pain it would be with the vette drivetrain (old uneven floor and crappy casters). I've got the space to store the dolly, so as soon as my 71 vette gets off the lift I'll take the measurements and weld it up. I was just trying to save some time in the process. After I get the plans drawn up I'll post 'em up here for others to use.

Right now I'm planning on using 3" square tubing and heavy duty casters from mcmaster.com, and some 1.5" steel dowels to set the drivetrain on. We'll see how it goes...
With a rough floor that would make it difficult. My floor is still in good shape so it wasn't bad.

Sounds like a good plan you've got for materials. I'm sure plenty of guys will appreciate it when you post up your plans/pics of the one you build.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

i just used jackstands and a chair in the middle

Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm sure you can build one with square steel.

The only place i know of where you can actually buy one is at eastwood company. They have a universal one. $500 plus shipping though.

Quick Reply: Anyone built a drivetrain dolly for a C5/C6?