Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 Z06 vs LS3??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably a stupid question, but can tuning reduce/remove the Torq Mgt issue on LS2/3's?

Also, is the TM an issue on the later LS7's also?

Sorry for hijacking...but this is very interesting!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bunk22
I have no doubt from a roll an LS3, stock for stock or mod for mod will win vs an LS2 but running with the top down in that video.? Then there's an ad for Torco??? Half the time it looks like the Vette with the top down isn't racing and you just go zooming by. That's just an odd video.
I just throw the girls in for fun, if it bothers you, fast foward it.

As far as me zooming by, that was the LS3 pulling on the LS2! My car had stock exhaust, and just an air intake on that video. The exhaust note you hear is the LS2. I pulled cleanly on him everytime, even with his header exhaust advantage.

again, the OPs original question was about a roll race, and there, the clear winner would be the LS3, it's got more power.

As far as the drags go, I'll put a whole lot a $$$ that if you put me on the same track, same day, same mods with an LS2, I'll pull him every time I get a clean pass, which is damn near every time...

Any other comparision is an apples to oranges type deal.

Additionally, if one wants to talk about racing modded cars, the car should now be properly tuned, and in my case TM is 100% gone. It is no longer a factor.

Here's another run with a bone stock Z06 and a LS3 with Headers intake exhaust and a tune.

started in second at about 45 MPH, ran through 4th to about 140 MPH.

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/p...s/c6z06run.wmv
Old 02-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DocT
This is probably a stupid question, but can tuning reduce/remove the Torq Mgt issue on LS2/3's?

My tuner has completely removed TM on my LS3.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Evilways
Well...seeing as how the LS2 stock is faster than the LS3 stock, and the LS2 can't seem to take down,stock for stock, C5Zs on a regular basis, I'd say the C5Z is faster, stock for stock,driver for driver.
While I do for the most part agree, I think the 'from a roll' race might yield different results, I think from a roll the stock LS3 might take the stock C5 Z06, even if only by a little bit.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by fastvet
LS3 for me! just dont think they would make more power on it for it to be beaten by a previous model. just my $.02
That makes total sense and I do agree ...but please explain why the quickest of the stock LS3s has yet to post an ET beating the quickest of the stock LS2s. And I'm just looking for it to beat it of course, but honestly, based on the dyno numbers the LS3 should ANNIHILATE the LS2 in stock trim.
Yet it doesn't.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TORNATIC!!
Prove it because I have seen dynos that have the LS3 putting down 380+ rwhp stock. Both the LS2 and LS3 have that torque management problem but I would bet money the LS3 would come out on top especially at 80+.
Dyno numbers? Who's talking about dyno numbers?
We're talking actual 'out on the road' or 'on the drag strip' results here, a mere dyno sheet alone cannot answer that question.
Both LS2s and LS3s have torque management built into them and the LS3s clearly make more power. But then wouldn't it likely hold true that in order to protect what is essentially the same exact driveline/drivetrain components that the previous (and less potent) year's car had that they would need even more torque management?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by daniel044
If both cars where stock given decent drivers from a roll what would the outcome be? Just curious because I havent had the chance to run a LS3. My car is far from stock but I wanna know how they compare stock?

Hey Daniel,
I just remembered, I went out for a nice long canyon run last month with a buddy of mine who just bought a H/C, 90/90, 03 Z06. The car was totally done up with around 460 RWHP! It had LG headers, and some very loud exhaust on it. It really sounded great!

I got some good video of us running though the canyons. I also got some of the passes on the straights! We ran through 3d and 4th, and he never pulled away from me!!

This was with my bolt on LS3...

Just giving you another comparison.

I'll get some video of that up next week.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
That makes total sense and I do agree ...but please explain why the quickest of the stock LS3s has yet to post an ET beating the quickest of the stock LS2s. And I'm just looking for it to beat it of course, but honestly, based on the dyno numbers the LS3 should ANNIHILATE the LS2 in stock trim.
Yet it doesn't.
You did run a very fast time there!!

If you are looking for an explanation, I'd inquire as to which track it was done, and what the actual DA was on that day.

The combination of a VERY good driver being on a VERY low DA track will produce the best runs!.

Take care...
Old 02-08-2008, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Yet it doesn't.

I really wish I had an answer for that question. So I am just going to go out on a limb and say that the LS3 has just hit the market recently, and the buyers of the new LS3 really dont want to break it in that fast, or break it for that matter. But give it until mid-summer and bring this topic up again. Or bring it up again next year, and by then we shall have lots of people tech in. Right now lets let them enjoy their ride before they get the "SPEED FEVER!"

Old 02-08-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fastvet
I really wish I had an answer for that question. So I am just going to go out on a limb and say that the LS3 has just hit the market recently, and the buyers of the new LS3 really dont want to break it in that fast, or break it for that matter. But give it until mid-summer and bring this topic up again. Or bring it up again next year, and by then we shall have lots of people tech in. Right now lets let them enjoy their ride before they get the "SPEED FEVER!"
That could be it...time will tell.
Until then I agree, let's ALL just enjoy our rides.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DocT

Getting a tune and getting TM reduced to it's lowest % is the best money you can spend on a C6,period. TM is present in all C6s and C6Zs unless tuned away, and yes, TM effects the A6 tranny moreso than the M6 due to the computer controlling the transmission in the A6. Example : Pre TM removal tune ,my car ran a best of 12.0's @121.XX a bunch of times, but never broke 11's. After TM removal tune, same car,same mods, the car ran a best of 11.4's @ 125 (hit 125 twice, 123/124 several times). Thats on factory runflat tires as well. I'll give back .1 to .2 tenths for a little cooler weather and lower humidity, but even at that, the tune gave me .4 tenths improvement over previous runs. Thats how much TM effects the C6...'nuff said.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JBSSCEDC5
I just throw the girls in for fun, if it bothers you, fast foward it.
Please, it was a Torco plug but nice try.

Originally Posted by JBSSCEDC5
As far as me zooming by, that was the LS3 pulling on the LS2! My car had stock exhaust, and just an air intake on that video. The exhaust note you hear is the LS2. I pulled cleanly on him everytime, even with his header exhaust advantage.

again, the OPs original question was about a roll race, and there, the clear winner would be the LS3, it's got more power.

As far as the drags go, I'll put a whole lot a $$$ that if you put me on the same track, same day, same mods with an LS2, I'll pull him every time I get a clean pass, which is damn near every time...
Again, the LS2 had his top down? Why? Why not make it equal, top up, as equal as can be. Was your hard top off your car? If not, why not? The video shows you just driving by a guy with his top down. I think you've been asked before as to why but you have never answered. The video is just odd because of that and the add for Torco. I do agree that mod for mod, all else being equal, the LS3 should win in either the drags or roll.

Last edited by bunk22; 02-08-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

JB is a torco vendor, hence the ad for torco...subtle product placement along with nicely staged videos
Old 02-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

JB is a torco vendor, hence the ad for torco...subtle product placement along with nicely staged videos
Exactly and thats the point. No doubt an LS3 is fast stock and with mods, more so than an LS2. However, that video, running a car with its top down...well, just driving by it the claiming it was a race, then posting a Torco ad in the middle of it is just lame.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Exactly and thats the point. No doubt an LS3 is fast stock and with mods, more so than an LS2. However, that video, running a car with its top down...well, just driving by it the claiming it was a race, then posting a Torco ad in the middle of it is just lame.

other forums have been victims of mass-torco-ad-laden videos as well. I don't need big boobed gals and staged videos to blow cars off the track, lol. Seriously, throwing an ad in is totally...like Bunk said...lame.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Getting a tune and getting TM reduced to it's lowest % is the best money you can spend on a C6,period. TM is present in all C6s and C6Zs unless tuned away, and yes, TM effects the A6 tranny moreso than the M6 due to the computer controlling the transmission in the A6. Example : Pre TM removal tune ,my car ran a best of 12.0's @121.XX a bunch of times, but never broke 11's. After TM removal tune, same car,same mods, the car ran a best of 11.4's @ 125 (hit 125 twice, 123/124 several times). Thats on factory runflat tires as well. I'll give back .1 to .2 tenths for a little cooler weather and lower humidity, but even at that, the tune gave me .4 tenths improvement over previous runs. Thats how much TM effects the C6...'nuff said.
Thanks for the info...Nice to know that it's "fixable."

RT
Old 02-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Please, it was a Torco plug but nice try.

Again, the LS2 had his top down? Why? Why not make it equal, top up, as equal as can be. Was your hard top off your car? If not, why not? The video shows you just driving by a guy with his top down. I think you've been asked before as to why but you have never answered. The video is just odd because of that and the add for Torco. I do agree that mod for mod, all else being equal, the LS3 should win in either the drags or roll.

Hey bunk,

First off, I took down the video, so you guys can relax...

I was out of town all weekend, and just got in.

To answer your question about the "top down" That's a buddy of mine, and we were just on the way to the canyons. He LIKES riding with the top down here in Sunny California!!!

The video was just done for fun on the way to the canyons, and posted to give a General idea of what the two cars would do. My top was not off, and to answer your question as to why, I just don't take it off very often...

Sorry if I did not answer it before, I have nothing to hide, must not have seen the question.

I'm really tired of all the Torco bashing, if you don't use it that's fine. I'm not here to try and sell any... Can we just move on, like LS1LT1 said, let's just enjoy our rides. Last I checked, this is the Corvette section, and we all have Vetts.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 AM
10 Second Club

Well I got a roll race in with a LS3 and with my mods we were door to door. The LS3 had Intake & Exhaust. My mods are intake,exhaust,cam. We went from 40 roll and there was no winner. The LS3 is very quick. Suprised me. Also he had the weight advantage as I had a passenger and he did not. I would like to run again 1 on 1.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

...but please explain why the quickest of the stock LS3s has yet to post an ET beating the quickest of the stock LS2s.
I'll ask this question again, since you ignored it last time I asked it. What was the approximate DA on the track that you ran your best time on. I would have to assume it was a NJ track since you are from there.

I will give you one simple explanation as to why the quickest stock LS3s have yet to post a time better then the stock LS2s, DA.......

It's no coincidence that most if not all the fast 1/4 mile times are run at a certain time of the year on certain tracks on the east coast. No hating here, just pointing out FACTS.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

other forums have been victims of mass-torco-ad-laden videos as well. I don't need big boobed gals and staged videos to blow cars off the track, lol. Seriously, throwing an ad in is totally...like Bunk said...lame.
You know Evil, You have made it your business to dog me from one forum to the next about the videos I put up. You seem to have a real problem with the different girls I put in there for fun. It really makes me start to wonder if there is some other reason you don't like seeing pretty women on the net...

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 vs LS3??