C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Pit-man \ Rev-Extreme Stroker update

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo'sZO6
Pit,
One of the main reasons I went with a single disc Tex 0Z700 is the horror stories I've hears about twins, especially the Exedy. What twin are you running? I know a few guys with the Centerforce dual disc and they seem to really like it.
I can slip my Tex pretty easy, and the way I have been breaking rear ends seems like I need to "refine" my launch technique and start slipping it more.
With your twin, you need to be aware of that!
Jimbo
I hear ya !! I am running the McLeod Twin...Alwaysinboost said it worked great for him..of course he has 8,000 rwhp..can't break anything with that..LOL..HE JUST SPINS WITH ANY TIRE PRESSURE.

Robz told me to come out a little easier with a little more tire pressure and work from there.

Pit
Old 05-02-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Go getem' Pit!
I might start @ 14-15 psi cold and launch around 5000 or slightly less and see what happens.
Do a good burnout too.
If you get the dreaded quick spin then bog, then you may need to go up 1/2 a pound each run until it goes away.
If you blow the tires away then lower the psi slowly.

Watch for that bog and eliminate it.
Put a long chalk mark on the tire and video so it can be seen clearly.
Another thought if you spin/bog is to have the clutch off the floor just below the engagement point when you launch.
Try it all and document! Keep us posted.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

You had me till the chalk mark... not sure i'm understanding that one. Damn racer talk over my head again!! Wheres my dunce cap??? Pitt go pop a wheelie with that BISH!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by robz*
Go getem' Pit!
I might start @ 14-15 psi cold and launch around 5000 or slightly less and see what happens.
Do a good burnout too.
If you get the dreaded quick spin then bog, then you may need to go up 1/2 a pound each run until it goes away.

Another thought if you spin/bog is to have the clutch off the floor just below the engagement point when you launch.
Thanks Bro...will do !
Pit
Old 05-02-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zturd
You had me till the chalk mark... not sure i'm understanding that one. Damn racer talk over my head again!! Wheres my dunce cap??? Pitt go pop a wheelie with that BISH!
Hell Bruce, if it would pop a wheelie...I'd settle for my old 7.1 in the 1/8...take pictures, and tell everyone it ran 10.5...LOL
Pit
Old 05-02-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man pittman that sounds nasty, good job. Could you tell me what exhaust you run front to rear (may have been stated but missed it I think)? My 1 7/8ths Kooks and 3inch no cats to the Z06 titanium does not sound nearly as good, whats the secret, lol?
Robert

Originally Posted by pittman
Well guys, I picked it up and trailered it home today. Just got back from a ride with my son...this thing is nasty with my 390 gear/M12 tranny...Holy crap. Here is a sound clip and remember it is idled a hair high..about 1000-1100. Third gear from a 25-30mph roll will fry the Nitto's. What a sweet motor and camshaft !!! Actual torque ended at 437 (I thought it was 434)...479rwhp.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=MOV01270.flv

Hope to have a track vid soon.
Pit
Old 05-02-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by robz*
Go getem' Pit!
Do a good burnout too.

Sorry for the ignorance Rob, but could you explain the chaulk trick in a little detail? We are all still trying to catch your record 60'ers.
Robert
Old 05-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chalk mark on the rear tire to see in the video if the tires are spinning (a blur) or it's hooking.

Bob, I expect traction issues with your suspension...may need to go w/some 90/10's on the front & adjustables on the rear...50/50 to start. It will pull the wheels off the ground then so get pics blown-up.

The key with his exhaust sound is the bad-boy cam.....
Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Robert56
Man pittman that sounds nasty, good job. Could you tell me what exhaust you run front to rear (may have been stated but missed it I think)? My 1 7/8ths Kooks and 3inch no cats to the Z06 titanium does not sound nearly as good, whats the secret, lol?
Robert
Robert, not much different than yours. Running LG Longtubes, no cats thru stock TI mufflers. And by the way, if you didn't read...we lost 5 rwhp with open headers. The motor likes the little bit of back pressure.

Pit
Old 05-02-2008, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

Man, you guys with these crazy 60' times blow me away,,,,I guess I need a slushbox...my 87 GN used to regularly do 1.35 60's, and it is a bolt-on car, no internal mods and a stock short block! If I could get a 1.5 short time, my car the way it is now should be running 10.5's. With the the new motor I hope to see low 10's IF I bring my A-game. I know I can shift, but the IRS and that tiny ring gear are just not what I'm used to. Hey Pit,,,,,go get 'em man!
Here's how you need to shift-----:

Jimbo
Old 05-02-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

jimbo that was some great shifting. Fantastic video aswell. What has the car run thus far? IMO the car bogs there due to the launch RPM sounds low like around 4000rpm give or take. I launch my car at 5500rpm-6000rpm once the clutch is fully released. I still haven't perfected it like RobZ and hitting 1.4x's like i should but i can cut 1.5's almost all day now. Got any more vid's???? Pitt when you go giver hell I want vid's damnit!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:41 PM
10 Second Club

Here's a couple more Bruce, burnout and the run after it from last years fest at BG. Warm, sticky day, D/a around 3000', no traction even with M/T da's, but a ton of fun nevertheless!

Lots of MPH, but the ETsucks because of a 1.9 60' time., When I get it down to a 1.5 that's when th fun will start!

Jimbo

Last edited by Jimbo'sZO6; 05-03-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Hey Jimbo, sorry I missed your call..my cell was in the bedroom. Dial me today during the day if you get a break from work..ph 904-264-5920. I will be slaving in the yard all day. If not I will call you tonight.

Nice shifts and vids !! That car will do a 1.5 sixty if mine will. It just took a little time to figure out the rpm to launch at.

I am shooting for next Wednesday night if the weather is good...or the following one...will try to get a vid if I can get one of my gang to go with me. There's not but about 4 of us left...they have all moved away.

Pit
Old 05-03-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry for the ignorance Rob, but could you explain the chaulk trick in a little detail? We are all still trying to catch your record 60'ers.
Robert
Like Tracy said the line will help you determine how many rotations your rear wheels are spinning. With a stick car 1-3 rotations is about what you want.
It also will help show if the tire is spinning on the rim.(by marking the rim and tire).
If you have adjustable shocks you can also mark the shock and see how much travel you get or you can put some tape on the fender above the wheel to see how much the rear frame squats on the tire.

These are all things people do to dial in the suspension/launch.
Didn't pay much attention to this until recently as my 60' goals have changed.

With a good video(something I never get) you can play back in slow-mo and evaluate.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

bob car sounds great and looks really good hopefully itll make it out to gainesville on the 7th
Old 05-03-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Rob, Blu and Tracy.

Pit
Old 05-03-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn Jimbo I remember car down there LOL! I think i have a pic of your car running down there. I remember being there and watching the racing that day. I had a red corvette you had to see it LMAO!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pretty nice driving. Just a slight bit of nose drop. Do you log your runs? If so how long does it take for a shift? I know my shifts are pretty quick and use the logs in HPT to evalute the time it takes. Anyone else out there have their shift times figured out? So far my best 60'er has been a 1.51 and this year looking for that elusive 1.4x, which is a very short list of members, lol.
Robert

Originally Posted by Jimbo'sZO6
Man, you guys with these crazy 60' times blow me away,,,,I guess I need a slushbox...my 87 GN used to regularly do 1.35 60's, and it is a bolt-on car, no internal mods and a stock short block! If I could get a 1.5 short time, my car the way it is now should be running 10.5's. With the the new motor I hope to see low 10's IF I bring my A-game. I know I can shift, but the IRS and that tiny ring gear are just not what I'm used to. Hey Pit,,,,,go get 'em man!
Here's how you need to shift-----:

Jimbo
Old 05-04-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bluenyghthawk
bob car sounds great and looks really good hopefully itll make it out to gainesville on the 7th
did Doc get yours tuned friday night...ready for this wednesday night

(Pit)

Bob
Old 05-04-2008, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Pretty nice driving. Just a slight bit of nose drop. Do you log your runs? If so how long does it take for a shift? I know my shifts are pretty quick and use the logs in HPT to evalute the time it takes. Anyone else out there have their shift times figured out? So far my best 60'er has been a 1.51 and this year looking for that elusive 1.4x, which is a very short list of members, lol.
Robert
Robert,
I don't have a copy of HP Tuners yet, but did log a run at Bandimere 2 summers ago with RalphP's copy. I had it somewhere on this PC, and if I find it, I'll post it up. I haven't had a chance to get a decent 60' with the drag pack on the car. 3.73 ring and pinion broke on the 1st launch with them.
Took 2 full teeth off the ring gear and tooth and a half off the pinion!
Car is all back together, but not going to track it again until I change out the motor and get the tune squared away. Went back to a 3.42 to go with the 418. I'll have 3.90's on standby in my spare diff if the 3.42's don't cut it.
And you're right, the guys with the 1.4 60's are few and far between!
That's great driving and having a strong car!

Jim

Quick Reply: Pit-man \ Rev-Extreme Stroker update