C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Pit-man \ Rev-Extreme Stroker update

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo'sZO6
Robert,
I don't have a copy of HP Tuners yet, but did log a run at Bandimere 2 summers ago with RalphP's copy. I had it somewhere on this PC, and if I find it, I'll post it up. I haven't had a chance to get a decent 60' with the drag pack on the car. 3.73 ring and pinion broke on the 1st launch with them.
Took 2 full teeth off the ring gear and tooth and a half off the pinion!
Car is all back together, but not going to track it again until I change out the motor and get the tune squared away. Went back to a 3.42 to go with the 418. I'll have 3.90's on standby in my spare diff if the 3.42's don't cut it.
And you're right, the guys with the 1.4 60's are few and far between!
That's great driving and having a strong car!

Jim
Jimbo,
nothing to a 1.4 sixty foot !! Just hold the gas to the floor like a RICER..let it bounce off the rev limiter about 10 times and side step the clutch...o-yeah, and put about 8 psi in the slicks hot...LOL... That's what Nicholbag does to yank the front wheels off the ground (plus the big chick in the trunk) !!

Pit
Old 05-05-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pittman
Jimbo,
nothing to a 1.4 sixty foot !! Just hold the gas to the floor like a RICER..let it bounce off the rev limiter about 10 times and side step the clutch...o-yeah, and put about 8 psi in the slicks hot...LOL... That's what Nicholbag does to yank the front wheels off the ground (plus the big chick in the trunk) !!

Pit

That is too funny about the big chick in the trunk..............
Old 05-05-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
That is too funny about the big chick in the trunk..............
Hey Allngn, have you had that bad-boy to the track yet ? Your 490/445 Almost matches my numbers.

Pit
Old 05-05-2008, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

did Doc get yours tuned friday night...ready for this wednesday night

(Pit)

Bob
yup my o2s are dying so i gotta pick some up tonight and put them in and ill be out wensday
Old 05-05-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bluenyghthawk
yup my o2s are dying so i gotta pick some up tonight and put them in and ill be out wensday
Cool...I should be there about 6 pm...we are running a little late because Kyle has school till 4:20 pm.

Bob (pit)
Old 05-05-2008, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Cool...I should be there about 6 pm...we are running a little late because Kyle has school till 4:20 pm.

Bob (pit)
We are tryin to be there wednesday, should be a good time
Old 05-05-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
We are tryin to be there wednesday, should be a good time
Great..don't forget the skinnies !!

...gotta shake off a lot of rust though..haven't been to the track since around August of last year...pretty sad huh ?? Plan is to work on my sixty foot and shifting before I worry about ET because I will get the BOOT for running under 11.5 anyway. Gonna work out the bugs then make a blast for ET & MPH when things are right.

Bad part about Gainesville is you may only get 2 runs on some nights..you can't even get your tire pressure right that quick...let alone launch rpm on a new motor and clutch. This may take several trips or a track rental to get the full potential out of this 383 Z.

Pit

Last edited by pittman; 05-05-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pitt I take offense to the big chick in the back comment! Thats all I need to hear that Nickolbags car can run 11.20's with a fat chick in the back and I dont have a fat chick in mine DAMN weight savings mods.

Good luck and the track and dont bother being gentle on here GIVER HELL! Dont come home with a 11.0x completely unacceptable!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zturd
Pitt I take offense to the big chick in the back comment! Thats all I need to hear that Nickolbags car can run 11.20's with a fat chick in the back and I dont have a fat chick in mine DAMN weight savings mods.

Good luck and the track and dont bother being gentle on here GIVER HELL! Dont come home with a 11.0x completely unacceptable!
Thanks Bruce,
it might take me a few days to post a vid...just changed hard drives on my computer and the damn software won't reload..telling me my SN is invalid. Need to call the company probably for tech help.

What is that GENTLE word you speak of ??? I am....going to drop my launch down from 6800 to about 5000 just to start..that should still jolt me a little with the twin disk !!

My goal is the 6 something 1/8 mile and at least a 1.5 sixty foot...if I don't see that...

Pit
Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Default track report

No good numbers to post guys...the car had nothing in it tonight, I guess from the heat ? It was 81 degrees with 50% humidity. My trap speed was 1 mph slower than the stock bottom end...it just had no pull over 5000 rpm
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC_3945.jpg

It took me 3 runs to figure the clutch and tire pressure..not too bad there.

1.669 sixty - 11.287 @124.55 mph eighth = 7.269 @ 97.84 mph 14 psi cold
1.733 sixty - 11.323 @ 123.5 mph eighth = 7.285 @ 99.06 mph 14 psi hot

Then Got flagged for no roll bar...kept tires at 14 psi hot

1.573 sixty - 12.62 @ 58 mph (on the brakes), eighth = 7.171 @ 97.07 mph
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC_3970.jpg

1.584 sixty - 11.495 @ 91.24 mph (on the brakes) eighth = 7.152 @ 96.4 mph
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC_3957.jpg

I was slowly increasing my launch rpm..first was 4000, 4200, 4500, 4800..then 5000...Then..I Broke the hardened half shaft...had to drag it on the trailer with my tail between my legs after one hour of racing. I had just lowered the tire pressure to 13, because she was spinning at 14 (bad luck tire pressure #..usually run 11.5-12.0) I was really feeling some 1.4 sixtys coming. New twin McLeod Clutch was doing great. If I could have gone down some in tire pressure...I was there. I was still spinning on my 1.5 sixty's. I have a vid of my first 2 runs but can't down load yet. Have to reload the software on my new hard drive and it won't accept the SN

Pit

Last edited by pittman; 05-08-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Default first 2 runs

Finally got the program loaded and uploaded the vids

Here was the first run with a light burnout and 14 psi in the ET Streets..about 4000 rpm launch. I was afraid to heat the tires too much till I saw what the twin McLeod clutch was going to do. The clutch hits really hard, not very easy to slip at all.
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=Run1-383.flv

Second run was light burnout again...14 psi hot. Upped the rpm a little..clutch hit hard again. All the launches felt good, but I still had spin till the fatal fifth attempt with 13 psi hot and 5000 rpm. The thing is...it was probably going to break soon no matter what rpm. This run I short shifted the 1-2 and you can hear me hit the limiter on 3-4. The limiter must have been set about 6800...I had it at 7200 on the old motor and didn't even think to check it.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=Run2-383.flv

Pit
Old 05-08-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well sounds like a good start minus the the half shaft!!! That really sucks, I had to edit this cause i didnt read the whole thing. Man that really sucks!!!!!!! You'll get it man, you'll get it. While its in for the half shaft get that bar!!!

Last edited by Zturd; 05-08-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Pit those runs look good. I like your approach to start conservative on the launch.
The 60's will come, you will have to make very small changes and seee what the car wants. If you can slip the clutch slightly more that would help. Maybe try and hold it just below the engagement point before release so it doesn't hit so hard.
Not bad for first time out in hot weather.
What tires?
R u runnin 17's? Your gonna need 16's with new setup/clutch!
Old 05-09-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by robz*
Pit those runs look good. I like your approach to start conservative on the launch.
The 60's will come, you will have to make very small changes and seee what the car wants. If you can slip the clutch slightly more that would help. Maybe try and hold it just below the engagement point before release so it doesn't hit so hard.
Not bad for first time out in hot weather.
What tires?
R u runnin 17's? Your gonna need 16's with new setup/clutch!
Hey Rob,
yeah, thinking now I broke the ring gear the way it locks up when I try to roll it forward. Nothing specific happened..just held rpm at 5000, also had clutch right at engaugement point. If you watch # 2 vid closely..you will notice I did a shallow stage with rpm already holding and rolled very slow into it. The car actually never quit rolling while the lights came down. The Twin is just either engauged or it isn't...frickin hit's so hard. I think my normal 11.5 psi would have either brought a wheel off the ground or left the rear end on the track.
I have never enjoyed launching as much as that night. I had so much fun I wasn't even pissed when it broke. Now I'm pissed

Yes I am running 17" on ET Streets. You think I need the 16" huh ?

Did you notice my question on the other thread.. ?? Here is the question :

First absorb this :a 1.48 sixty foot with a 400 tq motor, single disk clutch and 390 gear.
What will happen to my sixty foot with a 435 tq motor, Twin disk clutch and a 373 gear ??

Thanks Rob,
Pit

Last edited by pittman; 05-09-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll take a stab at the question. With 3.73's you'll be geared similar to my car with 4.10s but with 50ft lbs more torque. I say 1.46's are possible with just the right launch, tire pressure,track prep and air conditions! Now go! GO NOW!!! Make it happen grasshoppah!
Old 05-09-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zturd
I'll take a stab at the question. With 3.73's you'll be geared similar to my car with 4.10s but with 50ft lbs more torque. I say 1.46's are possible with just the right launch, tire pressure,track prep and air conditions! Now go! GO NOW!!! Make it happen grasshoppah!
Z, You said the right launch, psi, track pep and my air conditioner..AUHH-HA...thats why I was so slow..forgot to turn on the AC...LOL

Jacked up the rear, put in neutral and rotated the wheels..you can hear the loud clunk in the diff...also leaked a little fluid. May have cracked the case along with a chunk of the ring gear..sometimes it will turn a couple inches and some times a full rotation before it locks up. Sounds bad...but can't see yet..

Pit
Old 05-09-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Rob,
yeah, thinking now I broke the ring gear the way it locks up when I try to roll it forward. Nothing specific happed..just held rpm at 5000, also had clutch right at engaugement point. If you watch # 2 vid closely..you will notice I did a shallow stage with rpm already holding and rolled very slow into it. The car actually never quit rolling while the lights came down. The Twin is just either engauged or it isn't...frickin hit's so hard. I think my normal 11.5 psi would have either brought a wheel off the ground or left the rear end on the track.
I have never enjoyed launching as much as that night. I had so much fun I wasn't even pissed when it broke. Now I'm pissed

Yes I am running 17" on ET Streets. You think I need the 16" huh ?

Did you notice my question on the other thread.. ?? Here is the question :

First absorb this :a 1.48 sixty foot with a 400 tq motor, single disk clutch and 390 gear.
What will happen to my sixty foot with a 435 tq motor, Twin disk clutch and a 373 gear ??

Thanks Rob,
Pit
Sorry pit!
Yeah, you need 16's for sure. May even be easier on parts. Your setup has mid-low 1.4's in it. You just need to figure how to do it routinely without breaking much.
You guys are fun to read about, makes my day.
Lets make sure we try and get together on Nov 16th@ Atco.
I bet Ernie will come up too. If we get enough cars I'll push for a 10.50 index.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh so its funny now that us pathetic low 11seconders can't even wink at coming close to your results Thats it i'm buying a neon!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Default 373 gear

Oh yeah...Another one bites the dust ...that makes your day..LOL ?? I guess you mean you enjoy the company..haha. I know you have had to break everything by now (except your stock bottom end ). Well, I even broke that ...in only a tenth of the time you have been trying...

The guy that replaces the most parts in the shortest amount of time WINS..

What about the 373 gear Rob...good or bad for me (I know you have tried that combo ). Sure do like the 390's in first and second ??

Pit

Last edited by pittman; 05-09-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Oh yeah...Another one bites the dust ...that makes your day..LOL ?? I guess you mean you enjoy the company..haha. I know you have had to break everything by now (except your stock bottom end ). Well, I even broke that ...in only a tenth of the time you have been trying...

The guy that replaces the most parts in the shortest amount of time WINS..

What about the 373 gear Rob...good or bad for me (I know you have tried that combo ). Sure do like the 390's in first and second ??

Pit
I enjoy reading the the accomplishments and the effort you guys put in, the hardships come with it.
The best thing is that you guys lay it out there everytime, no pussyfootin' around. The video's are awesome too. Keep em' coming and have fun with it and the et's will come.
I would stick with 3.90 gears.
Get 16" tires please!

Quick Reply: Pit-man \ Rev-Extreme Stroker update