Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Corvette Vs. Trans Am(Personal review)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CySevans
I speak from experience. Other opinions will vary, naturally. And I truly hope you are not using the drag strip as your benchmark.

Incidentally, I am a member of Corvette Forum and Digital Corvettes. I've read it all. Had the C5Z for 2 years and the C6 Z51 for about the same amount of time. Both are great cars. I just prefer the C6. Yes, the C5Z is a bit faster, but certainly not a "much better performer" by any stretch of the imagination.
Sorry, for my poor choice of words. I retract the statement that the C5Z is a much better performer, and will change it to "the C5Z is a better performer". I was speaking about the road course tracks. I guess my statement should have been, that the C5Z is much more track ready than the C6.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, this suddenly got very P.C.
lol
Personally, Im happy with just a 'plain ol'" C5, Id be eccstatic with EITHER a C5Z OR C6!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write-up I was on the fence between a super low-mile m6 c5 and a cts-v....... but I figured the v was a little more rare and found one close to me.

It would have been MUCH cheaper to mod the c5 but I love my V

however i still go and look at the c5's and sometimes wish i would have got one
Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Those CTS_Vs are wicked dude! No regrets!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
Those CTS_Vs are wicked dude! No regrets!
oh dont get me wrong I fuggin love my v I came from an automatic 03cts with nitrous but the the v feels super duper fast compared to that
Old 03-20-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhosNXT
Sorry, for my poor choice of words. I retract the statement that the C5Z is a much better performer, and will change it to "the C5Z is a better performer". I was speaking about the road course tracks. I guess my statement should have been, that the C5Z is much more track ready than the C6.
That is definitely true that the C5Z is more track ready than my Z51 coupe. But when you start looking at the C6Z, the whole "C5Z better performer than a C6" argument kinda falls flat. After all, a C6Z is still a C6.

No need to apologize. Just friendly debate here.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Seeing at the C5z is a 7 year old car being compared to cars with new and better technology is a feat in its own. They are both Great track cars and are hard to beat. Long live the Vette.
God speed
Old 03-20-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gotavette
Seeing at the C5z is a 7 year old car being compared to cars with new and better technology is a feat in its own. They are both Great track cars and are hard to beat. Long live the Vette.
God speed
So you are saying unless a car is brand new it is obsolete? The oldest of the C5Zs are 7 years old, and the youngest 4. The oldest C6 is 3 years old, and by your logic since the LS3s are out the LS2s are obsolete and irrelevant. My point was this in comparing the two. First off the 02+ C5Zs beat the LS2 C6 in hp out put by 5 hp. Not a lot, but it is more so thereby comparing the two in that category is not a feat to use your words. The C5Zs are a lighter car than the C6, yet another category where the C5Z is not only comparable but superior. The C5Z has better handling/suspension and steering than the C6 Z51, one more win for the C5Z. The C5Z also has more aggressive gearing in the tranny. Now the Ls3 is a different story and I never claimed otherwise. Take the TM off and you will beat a C5Z unarguably. I also never compared the C5Z to the C6Z. Everything I listed is true, that is just the how the two cars compare. The C5Z is still a great performing car even when compared to the newer C6 coupe.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

WhosNXT, I dont think he was saying that the C5Z was 'obsolete' just noting that its baisis is on a platform that has aged, especially compared to some of the new tech in the c6'S.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you are right. I touched on the new tech of the LS3s and that they are unarguably faster. My first post that started this was only between the C5Z and LS2 C6 coupe. I think thats what people missed and I was trying to amend. I love all Corvettes don't get me wrong, I was just making a comparison between the two. I am done now and will drop the subject. I apologize if I created any unwanted problems and hope you all will not hold this against me.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is turning out to be very interesting.. I was set on a C6, untill I read this.. Interesting debate. Dammit, now I have to find a C5Z to drive for a bit, and then test the M6 C6..
Old 03-21-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Regular

That was a very good review of your experience... I went from the GTO to the corvette and it was an amazing difference... I recently ran into some issues with my C5 like the fuel gauge will read empty after i just filled it up.. my turn signals work when they want to but overall its one of the best cars i've ever owned and i will always own a corvette as long as i have sports cars.. my only regret it that i didn't get a Z06.. Oh and i forgot to say that if your used to modding a fbody or GTO this is alot more expensive as i've been modding lately like the corvette tax
Old 03-21-2008, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhosNXT
Yes, you are right. I touched on the new tech of the LS3s and that they are unarguably faster. My first post that started this was only between the C5Z and LS2 C6 coupe. I think thats what people missed and I was trying to amend. I love all Corvettes don't get me wrong, I was just making a comparison between the two. I am done now and will drop the subject. I apologize if I created any unwanted problems and hope you all will not hold this against me.
Na, its all gravy baby!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had opportunity to ride and drive in buddies c5 vert.It was near stock with blackwing or something air induction. Its an auto. I found it very underwhelming for power. I was not in the least impressed with its stock power. I found it did handle decent. The build quality of his was not that great either, it had quite a few rattles and squeaks. Our roads are pathetic though and likely would make a rolls royce sound like a cheap rattlebox.
This ride and test drive really made me not care about trading up to a c5.
A few weeks later did get a ride in a mildly hopped up z06 and it was quite a bit more exiciting than the c5 vert. Its seemed much more solid ,of course it should being a fixed roof car. It was of course way faster than the c5vert .Handling was awesome the guy did stuff with that car that should not have been possible and admit it was a white knuckle ride but survived it at least. I did not get to drive the z06.
I could tell the z06 was in many ways superior to my 99 ta.

I have so far not had ride or drive in any c6 car but likely if do get a vette it will be a c6 or c7..And likley would still keep my cruder but still fun 99ta. That said I really like the looks of the c5s I think they look a bit meaner expecially from the back than the c6. They look a bit less mean and more exotic.

Quick Reply: Corvette Vs. Trans Am(Personal review)