Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

New combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New combo

Just finished up putting heads/cam/intake on my '02 Z06.

Here's the list of goodies:

Vengeance Racing Vindicator Cam
AFR 225 with 60cc chambers
Crane Gold Race 1.7 rockers
Ported FAST 92/RevXtreme 95 (Ron met me on his day off to port the snout of the FAST 92 to match the 95mm throttle body from RevXtreme)
New oil pump
Cloyes timing set
SLP underdrive pulley
Kooks 1.875" headers
Kooks 3" x-pipe
Stock titanium exhaust

With the help of some friends, it took one really long day and a few late nights to get it all done. Just a few small things to tend to now before it's back on the road.

Here is a video of it idling after a base tune and some minor tweaking to a base tune that I got from a local speed shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXGYdgUIutQ

I've spoken to Ron a few times, and I think I'm the first person to try the Vindicator with the AFR heads, so we'll see how what kind of results it's capable of. I'm just anxious to get all of the minor stuff taken care of so I can get it out on the road. I'm pretty sure the stock clutch isn't going to last for long once I start flogging on it!

Last edited by LinearX; 03-25-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Stock shortblocked car? I'm curious to see what our combo will put out, sunscribing for results.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Stock shortblocked car? I'm curious to see what our combo will put out, sunscribing for results.
I knew there was something I was forgetting!

Yeah, stock shortblock.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LinearX
I've spoken to Ron a few times, and I think I'm the first person to try the Vindicator with the AFR heads, so we'll see how what kind of results it's capable of.
First time combos are always interesting. Looking forward to the results.

Keith
Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds pretty mean through the stock Ti. I plan on keeping this catback too...no sense paying $1K for something that doesn't perform much (if any) better. Can't wait to see some results. I bet that thing hauls some serious *** now!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Sounds pretty mean through the stock Ti. I plan on keeping this catback too...no sense paying $1K for something that doesn't perform much (if any) better. Can't wait to see some results. I bet that thing hauls some serious *** now!
We'll see. I've still got a few things to button up before it's on the road again. I've got a small exhaust leak to take care of, and put the hood back on. I just want it to move under it's own power again!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Teching In

What made you choose the AFR heads over Trickflow? I know Ron has sold several Trickflow/Vindicator packages that putdown insane power can't wait to see what the AFRs do with the Vindicator.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

AFR 255's on a stock 346? Large bore heads for strokers matched to a stock 346 sounds a little odd.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MACKASH
What made you choose the AFR heads over Trickflow? I know Ron has sold several Trickflow/Vindicator packages that putdown insane power can't wait to see what the AFRs do with the Vindicator.
Originally, I was going to get TEA do a Stage 2 set of 243 castings for me, but the AFRs fell in my lap for a deal I couldn't pass up. I paid less for the AFRs than it would have cost me to ship, have the heads ported by TEA, and paid for shipping back to me. Seemed like a no-brainer.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blu1
AFR 255's on a stock 346? Large bore heads for strokers matched to a stock 346 sounds a little odd.
AFR will set up the 225s for a small bore. The heads came off of a stock cubic inch procharged car.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AFR will set up the 225s for a small bore. The heads came off of a stock cubic inch procharged car.
oh 225's, your main post said 255's which confused the heck out of me
Old 03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

oh 225's, your main post said 255's which confused the heck out of me
heheh...woops. I'll have to edit that. Thanks for proof reading for me, and sorry for the confusion!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what kind of power are you expecting or hoping for ?? I'd expect this combo to lay down 500 rhwp all the way. Good luck bro.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
So what kind of power are you expecting or hoping for ?? I'd expect this combo to lay down 500 rhwp all the way. Good luck bro.
I've tried to keep my expectation on the pessimistic side so I'm not let down if it doesn't make some magical number I've dreamed up. I think it's within reason to think that it'll make 460-470 on a Dynojet. Beyond that, I'm not going to speculate much since I know that, aside from the heads, my combination is a bit different than the others that Vengeance has put out making over 500. I'm sure I'm down on compression a bit since I didn't go as small on the chambers as some of the others have been done, and the lack of electric water pump for me is another.

Either way, I fully expect my stock clutch to hate life very, very soon!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

I've tried to keep my expectation on the pessimistic side so I'm not let down if it doesn't make some magical number I've dreamed up. I think it's within reason to think that it'll make 460-470 on a Dynojet. Beyond that, I'm not going to speculate much since I know that, aside from the heads, my combination is a bit different than the others that Vengeance has put out making over 500. I'm sure I'm down on compression a bit since I didn't go as small on the chambers as some of the others have been done, and the lack of electric water pump for me is another.

Either way, I fully expect my stock clutch to hate life very, very soon!
Hi LinearX,

Don't worry too much about the head volume in your combo, mine is 60cc as well...and my camshaft is just smaller than yours, and I still have the OEM water pump as well.

I think you will enjoy strong numbers and big power after a good tune.

Christian
Old 03-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Hi LinearX,

Don't worry too much about the head volume in your combo, mine is 60cc as well...and my camshaft is just smaller than yours, and I still have the OEM water pump as well.

I think you will enjoy strong numbers and big power after a good tune.

Christian
Christian, your car throws down the power. I'd read your post at length on Corvette Forum, but had forgotten that you were running 60cc chambers.

Our cams are different in that I have more duration and you have more lift. Is your car a speed density tune or MAF, and did you tune it or have it done?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Christian, your car throws down the power. I'd read your post at length on Corvette Forum, but had forgotten that you were running 60cc chambers.

Our cams are different in that I have more duration and you have more lift. Is your car a speed density tune or MAF, and did you tune it or have it done?
Hi LinearX,

The MAF is out since a long time of my ZO6...

With my previous combo (~420RWHP-224 duration cam with 0 overlap) I did tune the car CLSD to begin and ended OLSD for the fun and fighting for fuel economy...
Honestly, no problem CLSD, I dialed in my VE table as close as possible and never noticed any trouble related to weather condition changes.

With my new combo and the noticeable overlap of my FTI StreetSweeper (almost the same as your Vindicator) I was not comfortable with my idle that I wanted as tame as possible.
I wanted firmly to avoid the looping situation, and if you read my threads you know how my engine is idling...this is done OLSD.
The OLSD helped my engine as well on the bucking situation (low load-low revs-low throttle opening) and with I would say a consequent amount of work on the VE table I am satisfied and very close to stock comportment with an already "big cam", the video about streetability is showing it.

Again, no problem with the weather condition changes now that my VE table is close to perfection.

Jeremy FORMATO did the dyno tune and the idle tuning.
Jeremy also took the time to set a very nice base line of my VE Table in ~ one hour of city driving, I did finish it.

Christian

Last edited by miami993c297; 03-25-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Hi LinearX,

The MAF is out since a long time of my ZO6...

With my previous combo (~420RWHP-224 duration cam with 0 overlap) I did tune the car CLSD to begin and ended OLSD for the fun and fighting for fuel economy...
Honestly, no problem CLSD, I dialed in my VE table as close as possible and never noticed any trouble related to weather condition changes.

With my new combo and the noticeable overlap of my FTI StreetSweeper (almost the same as your Vindicator) I was not comfortable with my idle that I wanted as tame as possible.
I wanted firmly to avoid the looping situation, and if you read my threads you know how my engine is idling...this is done OLSD.
The OLSD helped my engine as well on the bucking situation (low load-low revs-low throttle opening) and with I would say a consequent amount of work on the VE table I am satisfied and very close to stock comportment with an already "big cam", the video about streetability is showing it.

Again, no problem with the weather condition changes now that my VE table is close to perfection.

Jeremy FORMATO did the dyno tune and the idle tuning.
Jeremy also took the time to set a very nice base line of my VE Table in ~ one hour of city driving, I did finish it.

Christian
What kind of temperature changes do you see from summer to winter? I'm in southeast Tennessee and we go from 30s in winter to high 90s in the summer. I'm not sure how a speed density tune would react to those types of temperature variations.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

What kind of temperature changes do you see from summer to winter? I'm in southeast Tennessee and we go from 30s in winter to high 90s in the summer. I'm not sure how a speed density tune would react to those types of temperature variations.
Hi LinearX,

With my IAT Sensor relocated in the Intake as shown in the pics below

I record from 43° at the lowest (that's really low in Florida) to 115° during city driving in August.

I will say my AFR is always looking close of the chart below (which are the values working with my combo):

Hope it helps
Christian
Old 03-26-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Oh I was thnking you were doing a trick valve setup for the 3.90 bore. But still interested to see the results.

Quick Reply: New combo