Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7
View Poll Results: Which option would you go with?
A
17.78%
B
6.67%
C
75.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Would you still buy a Corvette if...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
i dont give a **** how fast i can take a corner... now my decision would be a TA for about 10 grand.. and a full exhaust with some pretty stuff here and there. that would be less than 14.. and faster than any of them.. (better looking by far too..) thats just my .02 then.
Most of the ricers don't understand that a C5Z DOES take corners like it's an EVO...the weight distribution and suspension setup is great out of the box. As for a T/A over a C5...I had my T/A for 4 yrs and another LS1 T/A for a year before that and I'll take my C5Z body style any day of the week. Park a T/A next to a C5 and it just looks bloated and sits about a foot above the vette (not literally). I loved my T/A but the vette is the next step up IMO
Old 06-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Corvette Zo6/FRC will destroy an evo or honda around any corner.... and make it even worse on the straights just after the corner... GONE!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Most of the ricers don't understand that a C5Z DOES take corners like it's an EVO...the weight distribution and suspension setup is great out of the box. As for a T/A over a C5...I had my T/A for 4 yrs and another LS1 T/A for a year before that and I'll take my C5Z body style any day of the week. Park a T/A next to a C5 and it just looks bloated and sits about a foot above the vette (not literally). I loved my T/A but the vette is the next step up IMO
yea, they are closed minded sons of bitches.... just like us.. haha.... i do like **most vettes over trans ams... but theree isnt a car you can sit next to a ws6 that i like more... vette.. ferrarri.. lambo... its my opinion, most wont agree but i think they are the best looking car ever made...
Old 06-21-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

i DD my car.. raced an evo last night.. i payed 7k for my car.. and have put less than 2 grand in mods... mods in sig... he had the boost turned up, BOV, intake, exhaust, and a chip.. raced from 40-100... i half throttled him and won by about 2 lengths.. but i was at 105 when i let off and he was at 95..

i walked away with 50 bucks though! haha..
Old 06-21-2008, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SERB Z06

Evo is the best all around car here hands down. Its weak points are that it's an econobox 4 door and they look arguably gay. Chicks do not dig Evo's at all.
i beg to differ on the econobox. they suck on gas [awd]. worst of the bunch of MPG. but its a tough call. 3 good choices.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Most of the ricers don't understand that a C5Z DOES take corners like it's an EVO...the weight distribution and suspension setup is great out of the box.
Didn't you know that there are NO domestics capable of turning left and right?? <-- tard speak

Put the same compound tires that come on the Evo & STI on the C5 Z06, EVERYTHING else stock for stock, and the butchery of the supposedly superior import in their 'twisties' will be even greater yet!!!

My greatest automotive joy is destroying/shocking the rice-a-jabronies around turns/curves in a ride that they think has the steering locked in a straight ahead position!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Teching In

I'd get the Z
Old 06-23-2008, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Both sides, import or domestic have there chunks of ignorance. People say OMFG the C5 will DESTROY an EVO in a Corner... Well, actually that isn't entirely true. OMFG a C5 will destroy an EVO on a road course... well that too is not entirely true. MANY factors come into play when you compare the two, such as WEATHER. I'd like to see a C5 vs. an EVO even stock for stock on ANY course on anything but a dry track. Second of all I sure would hope that a car that costs $20-25,000 more than the EVO.

They are NOT THE SAME type of car...

EVO= 4 doors, 4 seats, ALL wheel drive, good for any weather...

Vette= half the seats, twice the cylinders, half the wheels putting power to the ground. Good in dry weather for a solid hook up.

However, outside of stock from stock (quit stock for stock comparing) especially considering I bet a TON of you are NOT stock. The EVO can hang with a C5 in any catagory. Mod an EVO and yes there are plenty in 8's, 9's, 10's... mod an evo and time attack at lime rock... poor weather it will still do well.

Mod a vette. it will do well in X, Y, Z...

Some people are just narrow minded and think they drive the best. Like RAIDERS fans, they fucken suck ***** now but you can't tell a Raiders fan ANYthing.

Give cars respect for what they can do...

Enough of the "I raced this and it lost" bs... cuz I bet you there are plenty that just didn't show up that could whoop on you.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
They are NOT THE SAME type of car...
So then WHY are YOU comparing the two??!!

(quit stock for stock comparing)
WHY???
This is the ONLY empirical way to compare anything (save for replacing stock size/configuration 'consumables' such as; tires, brakes, clutches, fluids, etc.).
Once you start modding everything goes out the window.
Remember the old adage; "ANYTHING can be made fast with enough $$$$, time and effort".

mod an evo and time attack at lime rock... poor weather it will still do well.
Ya think?? (with the 'right' tires of course, your AWD will NOT save you on pure slicks in the wet, no matter how much you and all of the other importfanboyzz think it will!!)

Give cars respect for what they can do...
For the billionth time, just like I tell all of the little import fanboyzz/ricers on here, I DO NOT "have to" respect, ANY automobile!!
And guess what, I can still be an enthusiast without 'respecting' your import nameplates, contrary to what the import worshipping boyzz claim.

What I DO have to do is admit/acknowledge that some of your import nameplates either are fast stock, or can be made/modded to be sometimes very fast.
That's all.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Enough of the "I raced this and it lost" bs... cuz I bet you there are plenty that just didn't show up that could whoop on you.
i wasnt boasting.. i was helping him make a decision.. he might want to know about straight line speed.. i know for a fact that there are plenty of ricers that would slaughter me.. but i told him my mods.. his mods.. and the outcome... is was sad.. very sad.. and that wasnt even quite at 3/4 throttle.. i was helping.. just like you.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well there's the typical AWD ricerboy excuse, "let's see how you do when it's wet!"...what kind of dumbass races in the wet/snow on the street anyways?! If we were rally cross fans (or whatever it's called) we would definitely own AWD and not a vette. And how often are you at the wet/snowy track anyways? I do like your Raiders fan comment though, that's some funny sh_t!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:04 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

However, outside of stock from stock (quit stock for stock comparing) especially considering I bet a TON of you are NOT stock. The EVO can hang with a C5 in any catagory. Mod an EVO and yes there are plenty in 8's, 9's, 10's... mod an evo and time attack at lime rock... poor weather it will still do well.

Mod a vette. it will do well in X, Y, Z...
I too see NO REASON why one couldn't/wouldn't use the stock versus stock comparisons but since YOU brought it up...the quickest heads and cam (along with all of the accompanying basic bolt ons of course) C5 Z06 has gone as quick as 10.2 at roughly 134mph, stock cubes/stock bottom end and naturally aspirated.

A relatively light (the newest U.S. spec Evos are NOT all that light though) AWD turbo car can be a strong combination for sure but it doesn't take all too much to make a Corvette fast either ya know, it's not just the import turbo market that has that area covered.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dailydriver
So then WHY are YOU comparing the two??!!
I was comparing the two based on what would be best for performance, location (weather) and price, considering two cars insured, two cars driven and maintained bla bla bla. This was not an EVO vs. C5 performance comparo...
Old 06-24-2008, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

I do like your Raiders fan comment though, that's some funny sh_t!
!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alwaysinboost
wow, there are some close minded people on this board that is for sure! I'll bet most of the people ******* the "rice" cars have no first hand experience with either except for maybe what they read on the internet or "heard" from another close minded individual.

Just so you know, the three cars you picked, in bone stock condition, can all be serious contenders in almost any form of motorspots if thats what you're looking to do. The only exception being that the s2000 has a disadvantage of the group out of the box when it comes specifically to drag racing (w/o some serious modifications that is), but it will MORE then make up for it on a road course or autox!

To the OP, what are you looking to do with this vehicle? will it be drag raced, road raced, autox'ed, street raced or just driven on the street?
Your answer will help us decide whats best for you.

i would also suggest posting this question on www.evolutionm.net & www.s2k.com and see the responses you get.
On a road course like VIR a bonestock C5Z WILL MURDER a stock evo and bolton S2000
Old 06-25-2008, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And as far as straight line,my heavy *** goat runs even and in 4th walks away from my friends evo thats HKS 272CAMS/bigger front mount/FullBoltons/and 25psi. I only have a 232/234 (not a big)cam kooks longtubes and cai. And he went to the track and ran a 12.08 at 114 vs my 12.43 at 118.6. That was on my stock 18s with no susp mods and 235 bridgestones. A C5Z has 295s stock and 700 less pounds than my goat and the following mods in the C5Z would PIMP SLAP his evo hands down
Old 06-25-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LSWONGTO
On a road course like VIR a bonestock C5Z WILL MURDER a stock evo and bolton S2000
I haven't been to VIR yet, so I can't comment on that track, but if it has a lot of straights then I woudn't doubt it. I can tell you that on a road course like the Shenandoah circuit an EVO will walk away from a C5Z all day, I know this first hand!

Not sure what that proves but the point I was trying to make to the OP was that all 3 cars he selected are very capable in all forms of motorsports. to say that one of them is better at doing everything then the others isn't true. Thats also why I asked the OP what he intends to do with the car. That question was never answered though...
Old 06-25-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LSWONGTO
And as far as straight line,my heavy *** goat runs even and in 4th walks away from my friends evo thats HKS 272CAMS/bigger front mount/FullBoltons/and 25psi. I only have a 232/234 (not a big)cam kooks longtubes and cai. And he went to the track and ran a 12.08 at 114 vs my 12.43 at 118.6. That was on my stock 18s with no susp mods and 235 bridgestones. A C5Z has 295s stock and 700 less pounds than my goat and the following mods in the C5Z would PIMP SLAP his evo hands down
Your friend either has a slow car or can't drive because his car should be faster then 12.04 @ 114 with those mods...
Old 06-25-2008, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by alwaysinboost
Your friend either has a slow car or can't drive because his car should be faster then 12.04 @ 114 with those mods...
I second that. It's almost a maxed out stock turbo which has indeed busted into 10's before.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sp00led ya I live in CT and I was in the Army and did 2 tours in Iraq. On my last tour I was in the same boat as you I had tons of cash saved up (single E-6 + no bills) and could have bought virtually any car I wanted. Clearly I ended up with a Vette. I was into the import scene for about 7 years and I saw many extremely fast cars, heck I road in quite a few of them. I will tell you though the Vette is by far the best car I have ever been in. It all comes down to what your into and what you want at the end of the day. Not to down any other cars but I wanted something more classy and grown up that could still rip like a **** and the Vette met all the criteria. Dont forget you get into a big boost import and they have problems frequently and dont say they dont cause I know first hand they do. You can make the already quick Vette fast for little money or sick fast for decent money and the car will hold together a lot better. I also daily drive my car up here except when it snows it doesnt seen to work so well in the snow.lol Just my opinion good luck with your choice. BTW where are you located in the NE.

Quick Reply: Would you still buy a Corvette if...