Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

What Gives??????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Gives??????????

Hey, I barrowed my moms 99 FRC M6 with 12,000 miles and completly stock. My buddy has a 01 T/A with 25,000 miles and just a lid, borla catback and LS6 intake. We went out the other night and ran them a few times, now I figured me being lighter and supposed to have more hp It would be a good close race. Nope he pulled my *** hard, I mean I hung through first and a little of second and then he walked away from me hard. We tried it from rolls and a few digs, same thing every time? I was just curious if anyone thinks its a factory dog or its not broken in fully cause moms never never gets down on it at all. I know you all are gonna ask if i can drive and YES I can, acctually the other guys not a great driver??? Any way what gives? Any comments? Thanks Ryan
Old 08-25-2003, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: What Gives??????????

Well I know with my Little boltons I out powered Vettes with Borla,RamAirIntake and Headers by 20HP at the Vette dynoday I went to 2 months ago. I have raced about 2 Vettes when I just had my Lid and Borla, and 160thermo and Id walk them hard too. Now with my headers I run from them HARD. I think the Vettes have alot of power loss thru the drivetrain. Great cars those Vettes but its like GM gave the LS1's in the Fbodies more power but thats just my opinion.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Stock for stock, the F-bodys put down a little more on the dyno due to less loss in the drivetrain and essentially the same motor. So even with a few minor mods, I can see an f-body pulling a bone stock vette.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

gear options would make a difference too, say if he's pulling 3.42s and you're pullin 3.08s (just an example), he's goin to pull you out the hole, but depending on how long a run, you could walk him down
Old 09-01-2003, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

It's true F.bodies have a bit less drive train loss than a C5. But a FRC C5 only weighs 3100 lbs. without removing anything. The extra weight of the F.body should off set any HP advantage it might have barring major mods. Even if you have two cars that are identical in every way one car is going to be faster than the other, sometimes a lot faster. Your buddy's car might just be plain faster than your moms car(even discounting the minor mods your friends car has that your moms doesn't have) for anyone of a hundred reasons, but if he ran another FRC the outcome might be entirely different. I have a buddy with a 99 C5 A4 and his car has always been faster than my 98 C5 A4 even when I had a 3.42s and he had 3.15 gears. Go figure!!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I traded in my 99 SS that had 420 hp at the motor for 2003 C5 and I don't care whether it's faster or slower than a f-body because the ride and handling difference is night and day. Not to mention the driver interface and hud and memory, etc. is all high tech, state of the art componentry that makes me feel like I'm flying a space ship or something. Now I know why people who have gone from a f-body to a Vette say they will never go back. I know I won't.

Dean
Old 09-02-2003, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Weird. I'm still a member of the local F-body club and my Vette was generally .1-.3 faster in the 1/4 than similarly modded LS1 f-cars. The only mods at the time were a filter and x-pipe. Most of the f-cars had filters, lids, and catbacks. Ironically I would usually start to pull them at the 8th which is where your friend came around you. A good cheap kick in the pants can be had by removing the front air filter cover and then zip tieing the filter to back cover. That change alone may give your friend some problems.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the com. I might try the air filter trick but other than that dont know if I can do much more.69vette03 I totally agree with you, there is no contest in comfort and handling. Thanks Ryan
Old 09-03-2003, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Be sure to wind out the shifts until you're nearly on the rev limiter. Shift at 6,000. There's a lot of power up high on the LS1.

Eric
Old 09-04-2003, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

Well I traded in my 99 SS that had 420 hp at the motor for 2003 C5 and I don't care whether it's faster or slower than a f-body because the ride and handling difference is night and day. Not to mention the driver interface and hud and memory, etc. is all high tech, state of the art componentry that makes me feel like I'm flying a space ship or something. Now I know why people who have gone from a f-body to a Vette say they will never go back. I know I won't.

Dean
HEll yeah. My H/C camaro dont have **** on this car. I love my vette!
Old 10-08-2003, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. I agree with some of the previous comments that some cars are just faster than others. I have a '00 C5 with a few bolt ons and even though it is all stock with a few bolt ons, and is a drop top to boot w/ a A4, I am down to a best of 12.89@109.94. I haven't even changed the plugs yet and am still running manifolds.I believe that some motors leave the factory more "dead nuts on" as far as the "blueprint specs." are concerned. Probably just blind luck. just my .02 worth.

Quick Reply: What Gives??????????