Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

A little info about the upcoming intercooled Magnuson

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A little info about the upcoming intercooled Magnuson

I talked to one of the guys at Magnuson about their upcoming intercooled kit for the C5. It should add about $1000.-$1500. to the current price of the system. They are also working on a retrofit for customers that have the non-intercooled version. This will be done on an exchange basis and will also cost about $1000.-$1500. to the price. They are currently testing components of this kit so realistically we won't see either of these available until around the 1st of the year.

I'll post more details as I get them.

Tom
Old 08-29-2003, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: A little info about the upcoming intercooled Magnuson

In the past, I think the intercooler on these things have sat under the unit causing even greater hood clearance concerns. Is this going to add to hood clearance or is it somehow a "remote" set up? I don't think you can boost anymore but I do realize that a cooler charge will produce more power. How much power are they expecting?...I would think about 40rwhp at the most? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

You can boost a touch more with it being intercooled, but we're only talking like a half to a whole pound, if that. And i know with the Radix system that they've got, the IC sits underneath the unit, and still has about the same height to it as the normal non-Radix system does, so im sure this system cant be too much taller, but even a 1/4 to 1/2" will make a difference w/ this being in a vette vs a truck.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

The new system shouldn't be much if any higher. Intercooling is usually good about about 30-40hp but you lose 1-2# of boost. This can be gained back with a smaller pulley so it becomes more efficent.

The Radix system for the trucks sites on top of the motor but the non-intercooled version mods on the passenger's side of the motor.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Magnuson is now listing info on their website -

Magnuson Products, manufacturer of superchargers and supercharger systems for foreign and domestic vehicles, is pleased to announce the availability of the newly designed, intercooled supercharger system for C5 and Z06 Corvettes. Intercooled kits are available in silver powdercoat and polished finishes

This all-new intercooled supercharger system utilizes the Magna Charger MP112 supercharger with internal bypass valve. Torque and horsepower output is improved from 1500 rpm to 6500 rpm, giving more “power under the curve” than any other supercharger system available, horsepower increases of 150 and torque increases of equal amounts have been verified on chassis dynomometers.

Intercooled C5 and Z06 supercharger systems are complete with all components necessary for installation. Included in the kit is the cast aluminum intake manifold and all necessary hardware to complete the entire installation. Other components in the system include new fuel injectors and extruded aluminum fuel rails, coolant circulation pump, intercooler core and heat exchanger. Factory “push lock connectors” are utilized in the fuel system for ease of installation.

The included computer programmer communicates with the factory ECU for proper calibration the of the supercharger system. Transmission shift points, line pressures and torque converter strategies are optimized for use with the increase in torque and horsepower. Optional extended powertrain warranty is available for customer piece of mind. Intercooler upgrades are available for owners of the non-intercooled C-5 kits.
>>

We putting together a list of people that are interested in either purchasing the upgrade or the complete intercooled kit when it becomes available. Just e-mail tbyrne@tbyrne.com to be added to this list. We will provide you with info along with very competitive pricing as we get it.

We carry two hoods that can be used with the Magnuson.

One is the RK 5 hood by RK Sport -

and the other is the Caravaggioco supercharger hood -

Tom
Old 09-16-2003, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

hey Tbyrne, thanks for that. Sounds really cool. But, what all is the difference between the Z06 kit, and the reg C5 kit? I mean, the LS1 and LS6 are "essentially" the same engine (yeah yeah, i know im goin to get flamed) so, why do they offer 2 diff versions? (Z06s calibrated for the better head flow, cam specs, higher compression etc?)

Just wonderin...other then that, sounds like a cool setup. May have just sold me on a MagnaCharger for my truck (when i get it) vs a Vortech now
Old 09-22-2003, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

The kits are the same but the programming is different between the C5 and Z06. There is a $200. discount for kits ordered for the Z06 (this doesn't come with programming). Magnuson should have a complete available for this vehicle sometime in November.

Tom

Old 09-24-2003, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Does this kit work on f-body or is there one offered for these cars?
Old 09-25-2003, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

dont think you're going to see a roots/twin screw style blower on a 4th gen w/o some major modification. The engine being 2/3rds under the cowling, and the way those types of blowers sit, it'll be one tight squeeze.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

They tried but couldn't get it to fit under the f-body cowl.

The new kit will either be at the same height or sit a little lower than the non-intercooled system. This way it wil fit under current hoods that are available.

Old 10-15-2003, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here are some pictures of the new system -

There may be some changes made by the time the kit goes into production but this will give you a good idea what it will look like.

We will soon be taking pre-orders for this system. This will allow you to recieve one of the first kits available and you won't be charged until they are ready.

Tom
Old 10-29-2003, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Quick update -

The release date for this system is still around January 1st and pricing should be available in the next week or two. It is expected to be about $1500.-$1800. more than the current system. It will make about 50 horsepower more than the non-intercooled kit and produce 7# of boost. This one will come with an in-tank fuel pump and the air temp sensor has been moved to a location that will provide better readings. The intercooler will make a big difference in the air temps. They should be reduced from 200+ degrees to about 110.

As always, more info will be posted as I receive it.

Tom

Quick Reply: A little info about the upcoming intercooled Magnuson